Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Casualty

(30 Posts)
Franbern Sun 03-Jan-21 09:00:11

Suppose there is an old thread on this Soap. But nothing for a long time, and I feel that the really great one-off episode they did last night deserved to be commented on.

It is a new era for this long running soap - think that last nights brilliant episode was one of their greatest and will be shown many, many times over the next few years.

Excellent writing, direction and acting - it was a great tribute to the hospital workers who remained in post throughout this Pandemic and the worker who died from this Pandemic was not a nurse or a Doctor - but an administrator!!!! They also serve.

Did have me in tears, but - somehow, that was a good release from me - as I had been trying to hold those back these last few days, and this gave me the excuse to let them out. WELL DONE BBC,

sodapop Sun 03-Jan-21 14:37:42

Soaps are increasingly trying to get a political message across. However in this instance it was a good portrayal of the situation in some hospitals at present. I have to disagree Charleygirl Consultants are just as human as the rest of us and in this case the added weight of responsibility made coping hard. I liked the side issue with Jade and her hearing impairment being exacerbated by wearing of masks.

Cabbie21 Sun 03-Jan-21 14:56:14

Agree that Connie is only human. Yes the issues raised were very pertinent: the lack of preparedness, chronic underfunding, PPE shortages, masks preventing lip reading, and most of all perhaps, Jacob asking why the BAME community are so badly affected- because they do many of the frontline jobs, as Noel did, being a receptionist.

GrannyLaine Sun 03-Jan-21 15:12:01

I was initially a bit sceptical as some storylines in the past have been pretty far fetched. In contrast to Holby City, which presented a farcical Covid episode, Casualty pulled off a moving and very real portrayal.

Jaxjacky Sun 03-Jan-21 16:14:19

I didn’t watch it, although I’ve watched Casualty for years. I prefer TV that’s entertaining and escapism.