Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sorry Netflix again

(64 Posts)
Lucca Sun 17-Jan-21 10:11:12

Or other channels .... I don’t have Amazon prime or sky. I’ve run out of things to watch. I’m on series 2 of spiral but find it heavy going, a bit too brutal. Have seen all Line of Duty and The Bridge
I’ve watched Bridgerton Queens Gambit Rita Virgin River seaside hotel on all4 Offspring Rake Grace and Frankie....
Embarrassing how much I’ve watched ! A lot of it in the wee small hours

Shandy57 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:16:04

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad, the House of Cards, The Crown, and Modern Family.

Mary59nana Sun 17-Jan-21 10:31:03

Lucca I will give seaside Hotel a go today as your viewing is the same as mine going by your list

Lucca Sun 17-Jan-21 10:35:49

Seaside hotel is lovely ! Start with series one obviously. A similar slightly cheesy danish thing is New Nurses.

I’ve watched the crown (against my better judgement) and house of cards. British and American versions.

tanith Sun 17-Jan-21 10:39:19

I started watching Bridgestone yesterday but after 15 mins I’d had enough it was awful. Loved the Queens Gambit and Virgin river, I’ll give seaside hotel a look later.

Shandy57 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:41:27

I'm glad I watched Bridgerton before recommending it to my aunt, I don't think she'd appreciate the aerial view of cunnilingus! Who are these scenes for I wonder, I'd much rather it was left to the imagination.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:41:46

We are quite enjoying Dead to Me. Rita was good too.

Kate54 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:45:02

Netflix recommendations are so useful! Gyles Brandreth writing in the i yesterday recommended Emily in Paris. I immediately sat down and watched the entire first series (10 episodes so getting on for five hours - with plenty of breaks t9 do more useful things, you’ll be pleased to hear).

Kate54 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:46:00

Just off to add Seaside Hotel to My List. Sounds just the thing!

Hejira Sun 17-Jan-21 10:55:04

The Netflix (real life) series gripping me at the moment is Room 2806.

Other channels. It's worth having a look at All4, My5 and UKTVPlayer for vintage progamming and boxed sets you may have missed. The Twelve was good which I think was part of Walter Presents on All4. I enjoy Law and Order on 5USA and watching Michaal Portillo's Great British Train Journeys right from the very start on UKTVPlayer is a little bit of escapism while we are all stuck at home unable to go anywhere.

seacliff Sun 17-Jan-21 11:21:53

I loved The Bridge, and Rebecka Martinsson: Arctic Murders has just been recommended to me. S2 is on C4, but also the previous series 1 is available. I am about to start watching this evening.

vegansrock Sun 17-Jan-21 11:41:58

I liked Seaside Hotel and Bridgerton is total rubbish but I must guiltily admit to enjoying the fantasy. Rita is hilarious too. Fauda is an Israeli made for Netflix series a bit gruesome but exciting and an insight into the conflict there. Marseille with Gerard Depardieu is good. If you’ve got All4 there are some good series on there - The Announcer, Swingers and the Same Sky spring to mind.

Dinahmo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:47:23

PBS America has many interesting (and sometimes educational) series. I've recently watched a history of jazz and a history of country music. There's a lot of historical programmes - a series about the Plantagenets, another about the Roosevelts and many more.

shysal Sun 17-Jan-21 11:54:26

I prefer films to long series with no conclusion. Enjoyed Definitely Maybe, The Healer, Letters to Juliet, Safe Haven and Tamara Drewe. Also recommend a sweet documentary called My Octopus Teacher.

I am keeping an alphabetical notebook of GN recommendations and scoring them out of 10 when viewed.

This evening I am going to watch The Nun's Story recorded from BBC2 yesterday. I remember watching it many years ago, but have forgotten most of the story.

Grannynannywanny Sun 17-Jan-21 11:54:39

A friend recommended Catastrophe, a romantic comedy starring Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney. I tried it yesterday evening and enjoyed it so much I watched 5 episodes on the trot.
www.google.com/search?q=catastrophe%20sitcom&tbm=

pensionpat Sun 17-Jan-21 11:58:17

We are watching more tv than usual so I appreciate these recommendations. I have recently started to watch old favourites( I mean really old) on YouTube. We’ve enjoyed the whole 91 episodes of The Onedin Line, all 4 series of Shine on Harvey Moon (very funny) and plan to watch Friends in the North. Roll on gardening time!

Jane10 Sun 17-Jan-21 12:29:40

I was late to 'Anne with an E' on Netflix. I'd thought it would be sickly wet stuff but it absolutely isn't. I'm happily spending my afternoons on 19th Century Prince Edward Island these days. The characters are interesting and the storylines are good too.

Welshwife Sun 17-Jan-21 12:50:36

Vegan can I ask if Marseille was in French or English? We started watching it but could only get the French dialogue and although normally that would be fine with subtitles we found they were white in a light background and difficult to read.

J52 Sun 17-Jan-21 13:38:03

I bring to the list:
Dirty John Betty Broderick
The Laundromat ( not about washing)
Enola Holmes
Motherhood BBC series
The Irishman

grannyactivist Sun 17-Jan-21 13:51:24

We’re watching ‘This is us’ on Prime at the moment, just one episode each evening. We then spend ages discussing it. It’s very moving at times, I needed to replenish the box of tissues I keep under the coffee table!

Lucca Sun 17-Jan-21 13:55:48

Grannynannywanny

A friend recommended Catastrophe, a romantic comedy starring Sharon Horgan and Rob Delaney. I tried it yesterday evening and enjoyed it so much I watched 5 episodes on the trot.
www.google.com/search?q=catastrophe%20sitcom&tbm=

Is that Netflix ?

Berylsgranny Sun 17-Jan-21 14:03:17

Has anyone watched Ozark on Netflix? - it's very good. Lots of swearing and sex scenes if you don't mind that but the story line is quite good. Worth a try.

shysal Sun 17-Jan-21 14:04:58

I Googled Catastrophe, it seems to be only on Amazon Prime which I don't have, what a shame.

petra Sun 17-Jan-21 14:14:21

Lucca
Is the reason you don't have Amazon because you don't like the company?
If that's not the case why not sign up for a months free trail.
If your concerned that you might not remember to cancel etc
When you join and receive your confirmation email cancel then. You will still get your month free trail.
If you don't feel happy with that take your card off the site then there's nowhere for Amazon to take your money from.

petra Sun 17-Jan-21 14:15:23

Shysal
Same for you. Join free for one month.