Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Finding Alice

(136 Posts)
mokryna Sun 17-Jan-21 21:47:28

Is anyone else watching it? Looks interesting.

lindiann Tue 19-Jan-21 00:14:00

I have been watching The Beggar Bride found it on You Tube very young Keeley and Tim from Coronation Street
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu0yyY3stIM&ab_channel=JasmineHoward

Calendargirl Tue 19-Jan-21 07:51:38

Perhaps it is a dark comedy, but seemed rather odd. Would a bereaved relative just be sent to ‘Viewing Room 2’ on their own? Would they not have checked if she was entitled to view a deceased person, or is anyone allowed to rock up and gawp at a corpse in that particular mortuary?

I’ve only watched Episode 1 so far, but think it will turn out a bit daft.

I didn’t like that series about the woman whose husband disappeared, someone likened this one to it. It was set in Wales, and she was always tossing her hair about and gazing into the middle distance. It got rave reviews, but passed me by. Something about ‘Eve’?

Calendargirl Tue 19-Jan-21 07:53:00

No, that series was ‘Keeping Faith’.

Why did I think her name was Eve!

Sparklefizz Tue 19-Jan-21 07:56:08

I think Eve was the actress's real name Calendargirl

Sparklefizz Tue 19-Jan-21 07:57:04

I've watched episode one of this and it seems a load of rubbish. Is it worth sticking with it?

Curlywhirly Tue 19-Jan-21 08:10:39

I liked it; it's supposed to be a dark comedy and I viewed it as light entertainment. Though I do agree it was far-fetched in places; why would the wife take great pains to dress like she was at a summer garden party to be interviewed by the police, and why did she act as though she had something to hide? I also found the mortuary scenes very strange. I thought the house was awful, and those stairs were lethal, I wonder if it is a real house or a stage set?

Lucca Tue 19-Jan-21 08:59:11

I watched it and it became clear it was a comedy! Obviously the mortuary man wouldn’t behave like that! Nor would the Joanna Lumley character behave like that.
I can’t be bothered watching any more though.

shysal Tue 19-Jan-21 09:40:40

I am half way through episode 4. I am not really enjoying it but don't seem to be able to give up on it! blush

Jane43 Tue 19-Jan-21 09:58:48

I am finding this hard going and confusing. The Keeley Hawes character refers to Harry as her husband yet her daughter pointed out that they weren’t married. She also said there was no will but surely she would have some legal right to the house as they had been in a partnership for so long. She seemed to accept the fact that the house would belong to Harry’s parents yet then makes arrangements to bury him in the garden of the house they have said they will sell. I suppose all will be revealed eventually if I can be bothered to find out but as black comedies go it is very lacking, Whoever wrote it should watch a few Coen Brothers films to see how it’s done.

BigBertha1 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:27:14

I really enjoyed it and stayed awake to watch all of it. I was waiting for Alice to say the next sarcastic thing- made me laugh but then I have an odd sense of humour.

Jane10 Tue 19-Jan-21 10:38:44

I quite enjoyed it. Great cast. Nigel Havers, Joanna Lumley, Kenneth Cranham (I love his voice) and Gemma Jones : all big names. Must have cost a bit.
The house reminds me of some of the awful concrete boxes in 'Grand Designs'. Staircases like the one shown seem to be very trendy these days.
I'll watch next week's episode and see how it goes.

Iam64 Tue 19-Jan-21 17:52:32

I’ve only seen episode one and like it so far. Jane 43 - cohabiting women have few rights in law. If he gave the house to his parents and there is written proof of that, I suspect Alice has had it.

Jane43 Tue 19-Jan-21 19:07:57

Iam64

I’ve only seen episode one and like it so far. Jane 43 - cohabiting women have few rights in law. If he gave the house to his parents and there is written proof of that, I suspect Alice has had it.

Thanks for the information Iam64. I have watched another episode and apparently Harry gifted the house to his parents to safeguard his business which was in trouble, presumably there is evidence of this somewhere.

Washerwoman Tue 19-Jan-21 19:52:41

I've watched all but two episodes now and it's a bit daft but I'm actually really enjoying it.But then I like Keeley Hawes .And think although its a black comedy she portrays grief very well.
And the young actress playing her daughter has apparently already won a theatre award and I can imagine we'll see a lot more of her.

ginny Tue 19-Jan-21 21:40:26

Yes, it is a bit weird and there is some black humour. I think you have to suspend belief sometimes unless you are actually told it is a documentary.
I shall carry on watching although I’m not keen on Joanna Lumley.

grannyticktock Wed 20-Jan-21 12:42:55

I' m quite enjoying it, having seen three episodes so far. I am prepared to suspend disbelief up to a point, but I cannot imagine why Harry would have given the house to his parents. Why didn't he give it to his non-wife? That would have been equally effective if he wanted to keep it separate from his business debts, but would still have presented an IHT liability - do people not realise that marriage will prevent such problems? Oh yes, and making a will is generally a good idea, whatever your marital status. Especially when you have a daughter and a secret love-child.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 20-Jan-21 19:18:56

I thought it sounded promising from reviews, but was rather disappointed. Silly rather than wittily funny. Tried to suspend disbelief but it was difficult and too daft to be poignant grin

Oldbat1 Wed 20-Jan-21 20:12:29

Good actors but 1st episode was sort of ok. 2nd was dire and gave up on 3rd. We won’t be continuing with it.

Jane43 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:54:38

I did stick with it and watched it all because I wanted to see how it panned out. Annoyingly there are several unanswered questions at the end, I suppose they have a second series in mind but it is annoying when that happens..

rockgran Thu 21-Jan-21 10:34:47

At the end there were quite a lot of loose ends. No doubt hoping for a second series but a bit annoying.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 23:08:35

It reminded me of Doctor Foster with Suranne Jones.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 23:34:29

Well the comedy was lost on me I thought it was very weird and not at all funny but totally unrealistic I ve only watched the first one but it ll have to improve a lot to keep me watching
I thought I’d was silly not funny at all

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 23-Jan-21 07:50:25

I've cancelled my series link?. So many times ITV endlessly push a drama that doesnt live up to expectations,its even more annoying when loose ends indicating another series.
A few years ago there was one with Sheridan Smith as a cleaner who got involved with insider trading. It looked interesting and the first three or so episodes were good,and then it just got really silly!

Mary59nana Sat 23-Jan-21 19:48:14

Just finished watching the whole series
Hoping it would improve
But it didn't and was in my opinion totally rubbish no comedy just nonesence from start to finish

Blinko Sat 23-Jan-21 19:49:10

BlueBelle

Well the comedy was lost on me I thought it was very weird and not at all funny but totally unrealistic I ve only watched the first one but it ll have to improve a lot to keep me watching
I thought I’d was silly not funny at all

Same here. How do these things get made, you have to wonder.