Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Harvey and me

(81 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 25-Jan-21 21:26:35

Katie Price and her oldest son, and their quest to find a college for him.

It's almost finished now, but would be worth watching if you have catch up tv.

She is a really lovely mum, and Harvey is a great lad. smile

aggie Tue 26-Jan-21 09:12:11

I didn’t see this but got the impression Harvey lived at home ? But it seems he is at boarding school and now off to board at College?

Hetty58 Tue 26-Jan-21 09:12:31

FannyCornforth, yes, I know - so what exactly does KP do?

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 09:22:59

Hetty no idea! I don't actually know that much about her, I seem to have got my info through some sort of celebrity osmosis!
She seems to make most of her money plugging foreign plastic surgery places and holiday resorts.

EllanVannin Tue 26-Jan-21 09:29:13

She's had a job and a half to do with Harvey and has done well seeing that she had other siblings to raise. He is hard work. I didn't see the programme, just the odd trailers of it when it was advertised.

I couldn't do what Katie's done and in this respect she shouldn't be judged as I'm sure that many, given all his disabilities after he was born, would have put him in residential care from the word go.

There but for the Grace of God.

Hetty58 Tue 26-Jan-21 09:36:10

FannyCornforth, I think she used to do 'modelling' (page 3), then had books published (written by others) and self-promoted media shoots/stories about her life. Seems lucrative - why didn't I do that?

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 09:41:11

Hetty I know that. I thought that you meant what does she do now.
Her reality TV gigs must have been quite lucrative. She also had a range of girls clothing for pony mad girls and 'wrote' some pony books for children. She is actually quite an accomplished horsewoman.
She is (was?) a panelist on Loose Women.
Price has undoubtedly made a lot of money along the way, but where is went, who knows...

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jan-21 10:01:25

Well we get the point hetty you haven’t much time for her
I think there’s a vast difference between admiring her lifestyle (I don’t) but admiring the fact that she has stood by her severely disabled son and must have done a bloody good job as he obviously adores her
veridian it’s good to hear that there is help out there I m please you found it
I think she deserves a lot of praise, how many of us would last a month with a lad the size of Harvey, who could be very menacing, just by size alone, she has said she will not talk about his severe meltdowns as she doesn’t want him defined or judged by them I would imaging she has had many a blow from him
Well I say good luck to her and I hope he does get the place he deserves to further his education and life learning

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 10:04:51

BlueBelle I didn't notice that Hetty said anything against Price.
We were objectively talking about her career.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 10:09:09

Didn't Dwight York abandon them? He didn't even believe that Harvey was his and made her have a test, then took no responsibility.

Yes, I think that is true Sparklefizz.

I think the big worry of parents with disabled children is 'what will happen to him or her if anything happens to me?'. It's a worry for any parent of a single child, even when they become adult but even more so for a single parent.
Even if the disabled child has siblings, it is not always fair for them to undertake the responsibility if anything should happen to the parent(s).

Social care is not always easy to obtain even though it can be excellent when it is.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 10:10:12

disabled child not single child

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 10:21:41

Maintaining the celebrity lifestyle, when it is your livilihood, can be expensive; the clothes, the house, the beauty treatments, the agents an so on and so on.

As I have said above the transition from being a child to an adult can be a very difficult time for a disabled child as all your support goes from children's services to adult services, who may have very different ideas about what services can now be supplied.

having a disabled child in boarding school is very different to having one in permanent care. When they are at boarding school, they are home weekends, holidays and the like and much of the care still devolves on the parents. Once, like other AC they move out into the world they need to have help and support to move to another world.

Looking at the size Harvey has grown to and the problems he has, I do not think it would be safe for him to stay at home. Residential care where the disabled person lives with highly trained carers who know how to help children like him ,ake the most of their lives is far better than staying at home.

I visited a family, once, in a professional capacity, where a 30 year old disabled man was living at home because his mother would not let him go into any care. He had no company and was clearly not happy. It was clear that he would do so much better in a therapeutic care with staff who understood his problems and knew how to help such young men develop to the full their limited social and cognitive.

My niece has been fortunate to have gone to boarding school and is now lives in a Camphill community, where she is leading a useful and purposeful life in a way her parents could not possibly provide.

I see in this thread, a thinly veiled contempt for Katie Price. She is a girl from an working class background, who has made use of every chance she had. She made money frist from her body and its unfeasibly inflated breasts and has since then made her living from being a glamourous celebrity. I applaud the way she has made her way in life and I am sad to see the financial straits she is now in.

TerriBull Tue 26-Jan-21 10:37:20

I think what came across is how Katie has imbued Harvey with an upbeat and "can do attitude" which is remarkable given the wide ranging and complex range of his disabilities. I don't dislike her at all, I think it's a shame the way she's mucked about with her physical appearance, she was perfectly fine looking before. She's had an uphill task raising Harvey single handedly, I believe her mother who has been her lynchpin and sometimes fiercest critic is now suffering from a terminal lung condition, which is a great shame.

Deedaa Tue 26-Jan-21 10:55:03

I've said a lot of uncomplimentary things about Katie over the years but s he really has got a hell of a job with Harvey. I hope she finds the right place for him. The talk she was having with the poor woman whose son was sectioned was terrifying. The thought that you could lose your child for years while "experts" gave them the wrong treatment is worrying for anyone whose child has mental problems.

Nanna58 Tue 26-Jan-21 11:04:29

I’ve never really given her much thought except for the occasional roll of the eyes over some of her exploits, but I was quite humbled to see what a wonderful mother she is to Harvey , and to see the obviously huge love between them . He is not lucky in so many ways but he is in having her to fight his corner .

Kate1949 Tue 26-Jan-21 12:58:58

We watched it. Katie is marvellous with Harvey. I wish them luck
I believe Harvey's father has never wanted anything to do with him.

Sarnia Tue 26-Jan-21 13:46:55

Katie Price has always courted publicity, good and bad. However, she comes across as a loving Mum concerned about Harvey being away from his home and dealing with his many disabilities without the comfort and closeness of Mum. It does her credit.

Hetty58 Tue 26-Jan-21 14:23:57

M0nica, contempt, yes - guilty!

While it's great to see the love and concern for her son, surely, that's what we'd expect of any mother, isn't it?

The example she's set for her followers, though, is truly unforgiveable. Have your body surgically enhanced (mutilated) and expose it for money.

Make the headlines by being thoroughly irresponsible, partying and doing coke.

Look after your horses but keep your kids in chaos with broken windows, feed them takeaways and never clean your mansion!

Yeah, great, why don't we all do that?

www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/inside-katie-prices-mucky-mansion-3650494

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 15:19:30

Sorry, Hetty she is the classical example of someone coming from a limited background making the most of her assets to make her way in life, and generally she has done well.

It is not what I would do or would want my DD or DGD to do, but they can chose, they all have the benefits of being clever and having a good education, plus parents who can support them in every way to make the most of these assets - which is exactly what Katy Price has done.

Grandma70s Tue 26-Jan-21 15:34:00

I don’t really know who she is, but I did see some of the programme and I thought, “I couldn’t cope with that”.

paddyanne Tue 26-Jan-21 16:20:51

we may "expect it of any mother" but its a very rare mother who deals with it as well as she has done.Still no condemnation of the father of the boy who left her to get on with the uphill struggle of a severely disabled child?
Ach..its great to be perfect isn't it Hetty?

Bridgeit Tue 26-Jan-21 16:41:51

We don’t really know (or ever do unless we know someone personally) how they behave or cope .But I suspect there are many many mothers who have ‘ dealt with ‘ similar situations & quite possibly with very little help.

Sparkling Tue 26-Jan-21 16:48:06

She has made lots of mistakes in her personal life and to her own cost in the end, but no one can deny her devotion to Harvey as well as caring for her other children. There is a lot of love in that house. Katie has a big heart, she looked after her terminally ill mother. Give credit where it’s due, not many could cope as she has, pity there’s no one to care for her.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 18:09:25

I have always had a lot of respect for her.

Iam64 Tue 26-Jan-21 18:39:15

Hetty58, would you feel the same ‘contempt’ for any mother who made mistakes but staggered on. It’s a good job that psychologists, social workers, drug treatment etc who are face to face with parents in similar difficulties to KP don’t feel contempt.
I have less compassion for the likes of Mrs Trump, ghisaile Maxwell, etc than for the likes of Katie Price and Kerry Katona for example

JaneJudge Tue 26-Jan-21 18:46:53

There are so many nasty comments on this thread concerning a young person with a severe and complex disability and his Mother who is still a carer for him, whether he is in a residential college or not. Have a word with yourselves