Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Harvey and me

(80 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 25-Jan-21 21:26:35

Katie Price and her oldest son, and their quest to find a college for him.

It's almost finished now, but would be worth watching if you have catch up tv.

She is a really lovely mum, and Harvey is a great lad. smile

ginny Mon 25-Jan-21 21:30:58

Yes, well worth watching. I think it will change the view that many have of her.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Jan-21 21:33:46

I'm no particular fan of hers; it just happened to come on, and I was enchanted by Harvey, and touched to see how close they are.

kittylester Mon 25-Jan-21 21:55:25

Wasn't it uplifting? I have always had a soft spot for Katie Price and I really loved this!

MawBe Mon 25-Jan-21 22:02:00

Very touching.
The love those two have for each other is amazing, you can’t help but want Harvey to have a happy life.
I had never really been aware of Katie Price but have so much respect for her now.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Jan-21 22:02:23

It really was.
You can see what a great bond they have, and I loved Harvey and his friend meeting up for a spot of train watching. smile

GrandmaKT Mon 25-Jan-21 22:20:28

She has done such a good job with him, it must have been very hard at times. I was impressed with both the colleges they visited, I hope they find somewhere he is happy.

paddyanne Mon 25-Jan-21 22:41:07

Usually we get negative remarks about KP,given that Harveys dad had ignored him all his life and left her to get on with bringing up a child with multiple heart breaking problems its nice to see her get recognition for it .

Esspee Mon 25-Jan-21 23:36:05

This woman is prepared to exploit her child to make money.
How low can she go.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 23:39:18

I wonder if she is trying to make some money to pay for the care that Harvey will need?

We haven't watched the programme, just a clip but that thought did cross my mind.

sue421 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:47:07

Have only seen trailers but will do catch up! I think walk in her shoes and see how you would cope.....Harvey's life has to be secure for him...plus this programme hopefully will help us to see how wonderful parents with children with special needs are. You wouldn't watch it if it was Mrs A, but KP is known and can open our eyes to the care that has to be given to Harvey and others with similar needs. Not an easy job whoever you are.

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 02:48:30

I've always been something of an apologist and cheer leader for Ms Price, and I feel oddly protective of her.
I think that she is very misunderstood and is sadly her own worst enemy.
I've said here and elsewhere that I wouldn't be at all surprised if she is on the Autistic Conditon spectrum.
It's great that others are seeing the goods things about her.
I hope that as time goes on she continues to finds some peace and happiness.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jan-21 06:45:05

I don’t think anyone can deny her love for Harvey and his for her it’s very very hard to have a disabled child and also give attention to the other children in the family and they all seem loving towards him so she’s done a good job
I think her attention seeking life style has been her own worse enemy (her poor face) which is such a shame as underneath all that veneer I think she has a good heart just always in need of attention (good or bad) I think she does have a mental health problem herself
Those two colleges seemed wonderful but I wonder how many ordinary folks could ever afford them and that’s so sad

MawBe Tue 26-Jan-21 07:28:30

Callistemon

I wonder if she is trying to make some money to pay for the care that Harvey will need?

We haven't watched the programme, just a clip but that thought did cross my mind.

If she is,Calli - for once I applaud her for it and hope she was paid shedloads.

kittylester Tue 26-Jan-21 07:35:41

She was hoping to get his care funded not to pay for it herself.

She entered an IVA in 2019 according to Wiki.

Viridian Tue 26-Jan-21 07:48:12

Maybe I'm wrong Bluebelle but I think the college fees for a person with Harvey's complex needs would be paid for by the authorities anyway. I can't imagine it's means tested. Our daughter is very disabled and our local authority paid for her special education, out of county. I later learnt that the fees were the same as Eton! I had no idea, and so appreciated what that education did for her and that our local authority was prepared to pay. I thought the programne was lovely, so encouraging, even if KP did get paid for it. I learnt so much from it.

Iam64 Tue 26-Jan-21 08:11:47

Viridian, it’s good to hear positive comments from someone whose family benefitted from a local authority using its limited finances so well.
Espee, it’s harsh to accuse KP of exploiting Harvey for money. KP lives her life in the spotlight ,it’s how she funds her life and family life. It’s not how I’d choose to live but judging KP seems unfair and unpleasant

Oldwoman70 Tue 26-Jan-21 08:24:12

I admit when I first heard she was making this programme I did think she was using Harvey to keep herself in the public eye. However, on thinking about it - if she is using her "celebrity" to inform the general public of the difficulties facing many parents of children with special needs then I am all for it.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 08:46:32

This woman is prepared to exploit her child to make money. How low can she go.

Since she recently went bankrupt and she has to support herself and all her children, including Harvey, what else could she do? If the lad himself seemed happy with everything, what is wrong with making this programme?

It also highlights the plight of other parents and children in this situation. My sister's daughter is autistic and learning disabled, nothing as severe as this lad, but I have seen how difficult it is and how parents have to fight and negotiate, and threaten legal action and so on the get proper suitable care for their children. It is good that this is brought into the open. The most difficult time is at 18 as they come out of the child welfare system and become adults.

sodapop Tue 26-Jan-21 08:48:07

I'm not a fan of Katie Price or her lifestyle but there is no doubting her love for Harvey.
I agree with Iam64 in this instance.

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 08:51:58

I was wondering if it was relevant that as Harvey is 18, Dwight York may no longer be financially responsible for his son.
I haven't seen the program - was York mentioned at all?

Sparklefizz Tue 26-Jan-21 08:55:38

FannyCornforth

I was wondering if it was relevant that as Harvey is 18, Dwight York may no longer be financially responsible for his son.
I haven't seen the program - was York mentioned at all?

Didn't Dwight York abandon them? He didn't even believe that Harvey was his and made her have a test, then took no responsibility.

Hetty58 Tue 26-Jan-21 09:05:09

It was an interesting insight into their lives. I'm not a fan of KP at all, but yes, it was very touching to see how close they are.

Imagine not being able to protect your son from the world when he's still only developmentally around the age of 7 - quite terrifying - with the possibility of sectioning and incarceration.

Still, a part of me still criticises the bias, the skewed vision of cosy life in their household. He's been in a weekday residential school, home only for weekends and holidays, with taxpayer-funded chauffer and nurse support.

She has four younger children and always seems to be on holiday somewhere!

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 09:05:42

Yes. Yorke hasn't seen Harvey since he was 4.
I don't know what the financial situation is/was - but wouldn't Yorke have had to provide for Harvey until he was 18?

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 09:09:44

Sorry, my post about Yorke was to Sparklefizz
Hetty Princess and Junior live with their father Peter Andre and his wife, Emily; while Bunny and Jett live with their father Kieran Hailer.