Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Unforgotten.

(244 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 23-Feb-21 07:40:29

Good to see the new series of this. Looks promising.

Nicola Walker looking as miserable as ever, but I don’t suppose she had a lot to look happy about really.

Several back stories going on behind the obvious suspects.

Kim19 Tue 23-Feb-21 07:47:33

Yes, I'm in. Really appreciate the acting skills of the two leads and their working relationship convinces me. Promising indeed methinks.

Esspee Tue 23-Feb-21 07:49:55

If there are backstories connecting with previous episodes I may have to rewatch before starting on the new series.
Should I do that *Calendargirl?
My memory has got worse of late. An advantage in lockdown as I was able to reread lots of books as I had entirely forgotten (lost) the plot.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Feb-21 08:02:43

I watched it last night. Never seen it before. Nicola Walker seems to ‘um’ and ‘ah’ in exactly the same style as ‘Last Tango in Halifax’.
?

Not bothered about catching up the backstory. This series is a stand alone storyline so it’ll do.

TerriBull Tue 23-Feb-21 08:17:04

Unforgotten is definitely a favourite of mine ever since it burst on the scene a few years ago. I like the way an unsolved murder from a long time ago is at the heart of the story and all the strands and back narratives canter lever together as the series unfolds. Nicola Walker, yes she does look miserable, and Sanjeev Bhaskar are a good pairing.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Feb-21 08:20:44

I m another Unforgotten liker, hope it revs up a bit but early days

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 08:24:12

I'm wondering what the grumpy old mother is going to do at the gay wedding?

Juliet27 Tue 23-Feb-21 08:25:17

If the start of the new series is the same as the others, there’s a pram outside a building, which you’ll miss if you blink, which was my children’s pram. I advertised it on eBay and it was bought for that purpose. I had been hoping it would be used for a longer part in the series!!

tanith Tue 23-Feb-21 08:25:25

I did catch up with the last series just to remind myself, I enjoyed last nights episode but I was a bit distracted counting the ex Eastenders actors I think I counted 3/4. Looking forward to the rest.

Calendargirl Tue 23-Feb-21 09:49:32

Esspee

If there are backstories connecting with previous episodes I may have to rewatch before starting on the new series.
Should I do that *Calendargirl?
My memory has got worse of late. An advantage in lockdown as I was able to reread lots of books as I had entirely forgotten (lost) the plot.

You don’t have to watch the previous series really, just need to know that Nicola Walker’s character has been on long term sick after dealing with traumatic cases for years, and feeling she needs to give victims families closure, but you probably gathered that anyhow.

Re the back stories, in Unforgotten there are always several possible ‘suspects’ with hidden histories behind them, and somehow connected up with each other.

Calendargirl Tue 23-Feb-21 09:52:18

Will watch out for the pram Juliet!

Jane43 Tue 23-Feb-21 09:59:50

I also think Nicola Walker’s character’s father used to live with her and they had a close relationship. Then he started to show symptoms of dementia and he also met the woman he’s now living with both of which caused problems between father and daughter. It’s at the back of my mind that he is an ex police officer so I was surprised when he started to criticise the benefits the police get. I don’t remember her having a partner though.

It is rather formulaic in that it starts with a body being discovered then we find that several people are linked to the deceased’s death, hence their back stories. It is very well done though and I like the main characters.

Calendargirl Tue 23-Feb-21 10:05:44

Yes Jane, she hasn’t had that partner before, (Monarch Of The Glen, was he called Jamie in that?)

She was divorced/widowed with a son.

Urmstongran Tue 23-Feb-21 10:16:06

Thanks Calendargirl - he was in Monarch of the Glen of course! I kept trying to place him.
?

Sheila Hancock (superb actress) will definitely have something to say at her daughter’s wedding. However, she’s used to her compliant bullied daughter not saying anything and I think she’ll meet her match with her daughter’s partner! She seems tender but feisty and will stand her corner for her wife I’ll bet.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Feb-21 10:20:18

I m wondering if Sheila Hancock has left that bed as it looks identical to when I last saw her in Mr Lowry

Urmstongran Tue 23-Feb-21 10:48:17

??

sodapop Tue 23-Feb-21 13:02:52

I enjoyed it, easy watching. I'm looking forward to Sheila Hancock at the wedding as well.

muse Wed 24-Feb-21 19:55:35

Bluebell think you're right.

Thought all the other series were brilliant.

Loved Nicola Walker in Spooks and The Spit.

muse Wed 24-Feb-21 19:56:29

Spit hmm Split

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 22:05:17

Took me a while to recall who was who tonight!
Obviously why I like my drama series on consecutive nights.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 22:24:48

Sheila Hancock baiting her daughter ...

Jane43 Mon 01-Mar-21 22:38:44

Urmstongran

Took me a while to recall who was who tonight!
Obviously why I like my drama series on consecutive nights.

Me too Urmstongran I do find it difficult when I have to wait a week between episodes.

Last week I decided to watch the previous series. The man Cassie is living with now is a police officer from a different force who helped them in an enquiry which happened outside their area. He asked Cassie out a few times but she decided not to pursue the relationship because she was so stressed about the enquiry she was carrying out and deleted him from her phone but right at the end he was with her and Sunny laying flowers at the grave of the victim. Cassie also has two sons, in the last series one was studying in the USA and the other was at college, in this series one of them is living at home.

Urmstongran Mon 01-Mar-21 22:59:09

Thanks Jane43 for that bit of background.

So, the victim’s head, hands and feet are missing. I need to remember that much at least next Monday!

Lovetopaint037 Mon 01-Mar-21 23:15:49

Urmstongran I too found tonight’s episode difficult to sort out. Even my dh who is able to follow the most complex scripts was confused. I found a couple of the characters looked really similar. I kept asking is that the wife of the One accused of interfering with that woman or is she the one applying for promotion. What exactly did that group of graduated police offers do all those years ago. Someone died but how did it happen. Like you we decided we had better watch the series on BBC I Player.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Mar-21 23:19:55

Here’s another one who struggled with working out who was who and what was what I kept thinking did I fall asleep last week ......who’s that ? I might have to start again on iPad