Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What movie scenes make you cry

(94 Posts)
Artaylar Fri 26-Mar-21 15:19:45

I watched the movie Snow White and the Huntsman last night, over the years I've seen it around 5 times. While it's not necessarily my favourite movie, there is one scene that always brings tears to my eyest.

It's when Snow White follows the pixies and little animals through the magic forest to where a beautiful white stag is waiting for her under a magical looking tree.

I'm not sure why this scene always affects me like this, I'm thinking that maybe it is something to do from childhood.

Are there any movie scenes that always bring on the tears with you?

Kate1949 Fri 26-Mar-21 16:38:44

I'm not a crier at films but it gets me every time Meryl

Mollygo Fri 26-Mar-21 16:45:47

The Railway Children and Goodnight Mr Tom -I can cry at a few others, but those two are definitely tear-jerkers.

MerylStreep Fri 26-Mar-21 16:45:54

Kate 1949
I’m a proper ‘babler’
It didn’t help that I was slightly in love with Robert Redford and I’m a huge Barbara Streisand fan.
She sang that song when I saw her live.

Kate1949 Fri 26-Mar-21 16:53:21

Lucky you Meryl She's great. In the film when she walks into that bar and he's on the bar stool in his white uniform and she says quietly 'Hubble Gardner' blush Sorry I've hijacked the thread!

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Mar-21 16:58:36

I can’t think of any that have to be honest.

MerylStreep Fri 26-Mar-21 17:01:16

Kate
I’ve gone all shivery ?

Bellasnana Fri 26-Mar-21 17:03:33

I’ve watched ‘Dark Victory’ many times but always cry when Bette Davis’s character dies at the end.

Also, the original film of ‘Goodbye, Mr Chips’ when he’s on his death bed and hears people around him talking and saying what a pity it was that he had never had children. He pipes up, ‘Oh but I have, hundreds of them, and all of them boys’. ???

gulligranny Fri 26-Mar-21 17:05:11

Near the end of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when the alien mimics the peace symbols and then smiles - I sob every time!

"No it was you, Ray" - Field of Dreams.

And of course the very end of Brief Encounter -" Thank you for coming back to me" sees me collapsing into a sodden heap.

ixion Fri 26-Mar-21 17:07:14

Have you become more 'teary', the older you get?
I know I have, but often wonder why!

Kate1949 Fri 26-Mar-21 17:12:18

Meryl grin

Chestnut Fri 26-Mar-21 17:13:11

Anyone seen Goodbye Christopher Robin?
I don't normally cry watching movies but tears were pouring at the end when AA Milne was talking to his grown up son Christopher Robin. ?

Also, weirdly, I always cry at animal movies so I avoid them. Don't let me watch Black Beauty, Old Yeller, Lassie, Moby Dick etc. Maybe it's something to do with animals being helpless, and I get upset when they suffer or when humans take advantage of them.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 26-Mar-21 17:16:07

The music in Schindler’s List, and the end, where all the survivors of the people portrayed in the film, pay tribute at Schindler’s graveside.

Kate1949 Fri 26-Mar-21 17:20:39

Oh yes Chestnut I've seen Goodbye Christopher Robin. Wonderful film and very sad.

grandmajet Fri 26-Mar-21 17:37:06

When Paddington’s Aunt Lucy turns up in London - it always brings a tear to my eyes.
Of course, tears of sadness for Emma Thompson in Love Actually. What a rat he is. And as for The Trollop!

blossom14 Fri 26-Mar-21 17:46:20

The end of 'A Town like Alice' and the end of 'On the Beach'

MrsJamJam Fri 26-Mar-21 17:59:14

I have never got over the death of Bambi's mother on my first visit to the cinema! And the return of the father in The Railway Children - even worse since my Dad died.

adrisco Fri 26-Mar-21 18:01:38

The end of The Bridges of Madison County .. it's heartbreaking.

tickingbird Fri 26-Mar-21 18:02:35

When Robbie dies in Atonement and you realise they never did get their Happy ever after.

Artaylar Fri 26-Mar-21 18:05:28

I'm with you on Bambi's mother MrsJamJam. It was the same for me too at the end of Disney's Jungle Book when Mowgli left Bagheera and Baloo to go to the human village.

I also wept buckets at the death of Aslan in The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.

A close friend once referred to me as a sentamentalist - I can't think why.....

Davida1968 Fri 26-Mar-21 18:13:58

When Jenny Agutter shouts: "Daddy, my daddy!" in the Railway Chidren. Gets me every time.....

Grandmadinosaur Fri 26-Mar-21 20:21:36

The Railway Children for me too. Also the ending of The boy in the striped pyjamas. So harrowing and I totally never saw it coming.

BladeAnnie Fri 26-Mar-21 20:31:31

A Streetcat Named Bob. The scene where James is hungry after busking and goes into a cafe for a burger. He is pennies short of the cost of the food and all the the customers look away and the staff member throws the food away. I cried buckets at that scene and at the same time it made me angry at the unfairness of it all angry

Calendargirl Fri 26-Mar-21 20:44:44

ixion

Have you become more 'teary', the older you get?
I know I have, but often wonder why!

Definitely.

Foxglove77 Fri 26-Mar-21 20:56:31

The Black Beauty film, when he sees his friend Ginger dead, when he is really old at the horse auction and Joe recognises him, buys him and he lives his life in peace. The end scenes when Beauty, Ginger and Merrylegs are all galloping around happy and free in happier times, as I like to think of all beautiful horses.

grandmajet Fri 26-Mar-21 20:58:47

Oh yes Foxglove. I remember that. I’m tearful thinking of it.