Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What movie scenes make you cry

(94 Posts)
Artaylar Fri 26-Mar-21 15:19:45

I watched the movie Snow White and the Huntsman last night, over the years I've seen it around 5 times. While it's not necessarily my favourite movie, there is one scene that always brings tears to my eyest.

It's when Snow White follows the pixies and little animals through the magic forest to where a beautiful white stag is waiting for her under a magical looking tree.

I'm not sure why this scene always affects me like this, I'm thinking that maybe it is something to do from childhood.

Are there any movie scenes that always bring on the tears with you?

timetogo2016 Sun 11-Apr-21 09:56:42

ET going home/Bambi, when her mom died/Dumbo,when being rocked back and forth by mom whilst locked up.
And Kramer verses Kramer.

Grandma70s Sun 11-Apr-21 10:01:17

My grandson was also overwhelmed by Goodnight Mr Tom, which he read at school in Year 6. I don’t know if he’s seen the film, but it certainly affected me.

Yes, Warhorse, The Railway Children, Billy Elliot, all the usual suspects. I don’t go to many films, but of the ones I’ve seen, those are the tear-jerkers.

Sarnia Mon 12-Apr-21 08:22:42

Spartacus. The scene where he is being crucified and his wife brings his baby son to meet him.
Schindler's List. The red coat amidst the sea of dead bodies.

Billybob4491 Mon 12-Apr-21 08:30:20

Imitation of Life - I weep every time I see it.

Grandma2213 Tue 13-Apr-21 03:25:19

Another one who cries as ET goes home. I once saw a documentary which said that final scene was actually the last one filmed and that the whole cast and crew were crying real tears. It was their last day of filming and they were all leaving the next day.

Savvy Tue 13-Apr-21 03:40:38

There's a couple of scenes in 'Wit' that get me every time. The first is when Emma Thompson is lying in a hospital bed with cancer and she's in so much pain she's whimpering.

The second is when she's just died and the doctor is performing CPR, when the nurse sees him she firmly reminds him that she's DNR, only for the doctor to reply, 'she's not DNR, she's research!'

Millie22 Tue 13-Apr-21 20:46:44

Dances with Wolves. Near the end when the wolf is following and doesn't want to leave.

justwokeup Tue 13-Apr-21 21:25:45

Fiddler on the Roof when Tevye takes Hodel to catch the train not knowing when they’ll see her again and, same film, when he disowns Chaka.

Hopikins Tue 13-Apr-21 21:32:52

Brief Encounter..Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard version and The Railway Children

jeanio Tue 13-Apr-21 22:16:43

Forest Gump, "Life is like a box of chocolates"
"Life Is Beautiful" about a boy and his father in a concentration camp and "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" another one about a concentration camp.
They all made me cry.

MagicWand Tue 13-Apr-21 22:17:16

The bit in Toy Story 3 when all the toys join hands as they get sucked down into the furnace. They think there’s no way out and they just need that connection.
Paddington 2 when he and Mrs Brown are looking at each other through the submerged train carriage window with the water rising.
These both have me in tears every time I see them! My grandchildren are very kind and understanding and have been known to pass me the tissues!! blush

Spoiler Alert
They are all saved!

MayBee70 Tue 13-Apr-21 23:45:07

Millie22

Dances with Wolves. Near the end when the wolf is following and doesn't want to leave.

When his horse dies. He was the same colour as my pony. Must watch that film again....

Alioop Wed 14-Apr-21 11:55:53

Hatchi, a Richard Gere film about a man and his dog. I sob my heart out at it.

MayBee70 Wed 14-Apr-21 11:57:03

And it’s true as well......

MayBee70 Wed 14-Apr-21 11:57:44

In the same genre Red Dog (also true).

Clawdy Wed 28-Apr-21 22:34:13

The end of Nowhere Boy, as he walks up the street into his future. John was not my favourite Beatle but that scene had me sobbing.

Shinamae Wed 28-Apr-21 22:45:11

Most of the film of “Old Yeller” and “Gorilla’s in the mist”...??

Dee1012 Wed 28-Apr-21 22:55:19

Wuthering heights...when Cathy dies and Heathcliff says 'she's mine now' and it has to be the Olivier version.
The Elephant Man..although to be fair I generally cry all the way through it and
The Vikings...Kirks funeral ship at the end with that haunting score.