Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New Sewing Bee Series to start this week ...

(218 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 11-Apr-21 13:48:28

on Wednesday 14th April at 9.00 o'clock.

simplesewblog.com/great-british-sewing-bee-2021/

PippaZ Fri 23-Apr-21 09:17:12

I love all heirloom sewing JaneJudge. It's so clever when they used on modern garments.

JaneJudge Fri 23-Apr-21 09:40:21

Oh me too PippaZ smile I love all fabric manipulation, it's so clever. Have you ever tried Japanese pattern cutting? It is amazing you can just take a piece of cloth and it can become something with depth and structure

PippaZ Fri 23-Apr-21 09:53:42

I've seen it but never tried it, JaneJudge. I have done some of Jennie Raiment's manipulated patchwork from her Texture into Suduko book, but I'm not really a quilter; it was the manipulation that captured me.

PippaZ Wed 05-May-21 20:30:16

Does anyone know what the theme is tonight?

Calendargirl Wed 05-May-21 21:01:01

Frida Kahlo inspired.

Oldbutstilluseful Wed 05-May-21 21:25:23

I love the Sewing Bee, think the sewers are to be admired for having a go. Normally I enjoy just watching the sewing, but this week every time Esme appears on screen I can’t tear my eyes from her necklace. Can anyone please explain what she’s wearing?

aggie Wed 05-May-21 21:34:21

Looks like a load of hotel key rings !

Alegrias1 Wed 05-May-21 21:37:18

I keep worrying that whatever that coloured stuff is will start to leak out. shock

Oldbutstilluseful Wed 05-May-21 21:39:02

Me too!

Ellianne Wed 05-May-21 23:02:35

I thought the French guy Raphael took the teasing about his country well. Those Breton tops weren't easy even though they look very straightforward.
Esme's bottle necklace was ingenious.
The right person left. Looking forward to children's week next.

PippaZ Wed 05-May-21 23:04:48

Stretch fabric is my challenge at some point this year. There were a lot of small difficulties that were very time consuming in the Breton top weren't there.

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-May-21 23:44:30

I always knew I was unobservant, but I must admit I never even noticed Esme's necklace. smile

The right person left this week, but I will miss Catherine. I enjoyed her banter with Joe.

PippaZ Thu 06-May-21 09:25:04

Agree all round Maggiemaybe - including my lack of observation re the necklace.

Alegrias1 Thu 06-May-21 09:29:02

Here she is smile

I loved all the Frida Kahlo creations last night.

Ellianne Thu 06-May-21 09:31:06

It was the first thing I noticed ...... but then I am observant = nosy

PippaZ Thu 06-May-21 09:53:03

No Ellianne - I have to ask how did miss it!

Parsley3 Thu 06-May-21 10:14:54

Is Esme’s necklace a new way with hand sanitisers? I love this programme.

Callistemon Thu 06-May-21 10:28:09

The necklace is a nod to Frida Kahlo - bottles of brightly coloured paint!

Brilliant, Esmé!

Amberone Thu 06-May-21 11:14:53

Blimey I didn't notice the necklace either. But then I don't really watch much of it, it was on this morning while I was working in the kitchen and I just listen and stop to watch the finished garments or any other bit that sounds interesting. Still it was big enough. Or maybe it's because I spend more time watching Patrick than ?

I loved the dress that won, not that I would wear it, but I thought the shape was beautiful and it was very different to most of the others. And the French man's outfit (sorry, can't remember his name).

PippaZ Thu 06-May-21 12:39:33

Parsley3

Is Esme’s necklace a new way with hand sanitisers? I love this programme.

gringringrin

threexnanny Thu 06-May-21 16:34:28

I thought the French chap should have won garment of the week. The one that won was lovely but looked more like a Philippino style than Mexican.
I can't remember their names but the dress made by the very short lady would have been stunning if she'd had more time.

kissngate Thu 06-May-21 16:49:12

Agree French guys outfit was fabulous and should have won. The dress that won it was lovely but the colours were drab.

Another one who never noticed Esmes necklace.

BlueBelle Thu 06-May-21 16:50:41

I never noticed the necklace either
Now I ve seen it it’s awful
I m not finding this series very entertaining I think it’s got tired now so samey

Ellianne Thu 06-May-21 17:01:05

Esme has a thing about bows and she likes contestants to show creativity. Raphael's was definitely the best in terms of sewing, colours and closeness to Kahlo.

Callistemon Thu 06-May-21 17:59:39

Now I ve seen it it’s awful
I thought it was funny and meant to be humorous.

Her Frida Kahlo leftover paints necklace. Perhaps it's just me!

I'm tempted to make this blanket:
www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/stylecraft-frida-s-flowers-cal-special-dk-16-balls?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIovqhnsO18AIV1ojVCh3ioA7TEAQYBiABEgIUj_D_BwE
Hope that's not advertising - other yarns, retailers and patterns are available in similar colours.