Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New Sewing Bee Series to start this week ...

(218 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 11-Apr-21 13:48:28

on Wednesday 14th April at 9.00 o'clock.

simplesewblog.com/great-british-sewing-bee-2021/

Grandmabatty Wed 16-Jun-21 22:21:27

I totally agree with you Mawbe. I can understand why they did it but those dresses deserved to be properly showcased. I liked Rebecca's dress and thought it looked very glam, Raph had the most imagination but he let himself down with the finish. Serena has consistently been a fantastic sewer. I loved how Rebecca ran to help her though. Like many of you, I would have been happy regardless who won.

Deedaa Wed 16-Jun-21 22:30:54

I've loved the whole series and would have been happy whoever won. They were all so good! It seemed extra enjoyable this year, perhaps because it was so nice to see people just getting on together.

lavenderzen Wed 16-Jun-21 22:45:11

It's been a brilliant series, any one of them could have won. Glad Serena did though. I thought the models were good, friends of the contestants, excellent idea.

grannyactivist Thu 17-Jun-21 02:41:05

This series seemed to have more consistently proficient sewers than previous ones and I think the final three were all excellent. In my opinion the right person won as not only is she an excellent sewer, but she has taken more risks and become more adventurous each week.

The atmosphere on the programme is lovely and the judges and contestants always seem to maintain a friendly relationship.

LullyDully Thu 17-Jun-21 08:16:45

Yes, I shall miss the programme.( Not keen on bright yellow, but beautiful sewing.)

There must be something about doctors and sewing. Last year's winner was a lung consultant at Portsmouth hospital and Serena is a medical student. Maybe it's to do with attention to detail and extra care.

Two worthy winners.

Elizabeth1 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:17:30

I love watching the sewing bea I’ve recorded most of them when I’ve remembered to. I can only watch them on my own my dh wouldn’t watch them with me just give him football and golf and he’ll be a happy man hey ho all to their own. I remember sewing a little dress as part of my earlier training days I wonder where that went to. I even did some woodwork and made a dolls house which I gave to my small niece at the time I had such fun during those training days to be a nursery nurse as a married woman I even sewed 4 pairs of curtains for my first home pity they never hung the same length

Gwyneth Thu 17-Jun-21 08:22:21

Love the sewing bee just hope there will be a new series. All three were brilliant last night but I think Serena was a worthy winner.

Pudding123 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:26:36

I have really enjoyed this and loved everything about it ,total escapism for an hour each week.

honeyrose Thu 17-Jun-21 08:51:19

Serena was a very worthy winner, although it was a close run thing. Such consistency and near-perfection sewing which showed more and more technical ability as the competition went on. She didn’t go for the easy option - can’t praise her enough. Not keen on the yellow dress, personally, but would have been very difficult and time-consuming to make and it did look wonderful and red carpet worthy. Ralph was brilliant at design, but his sewing not quite up to Serena’s standard. Rebecca improved week by week, but again not up to Serena’s standard. I have absolutely LOVED this series. My DH has too, even though he’d struggle to sew a button on! It’s the competition element and camaraderie he enjoys! I thought the girls modelling the dresses did really well and were all beautiful girls, but didn’t have the poise and confidence of professional models. Roll on the next series, it’s been wonderful. So refreshing.

threexnanny Thu 17-Jun-21 09:01:18

I didn't think the acid yellow was a good choice for the model, but it was beautifully stitched and would have looked amazing on someone with a darker skin tone.
The scuba dress did look good as the fabric clings to the curves without the need for elaborate fitting. It doesn't fray and doesn't need hemming. Not nice to wear on a hot night though.
Raf's was the most creative but he didn't quite pull it off this time. Very enjoyable series.

Parsley3 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:08:13

I loved this series. I didn’t like any of the catwalk dresses but I admire the skills that go into making them. Serena was a worthy winner but if Raph’s dress had worked out it would have been a stunner.
What am I to watch now? Are the potters due to return yet?

Susan56 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:42:42

I was pleased Serena won but I really hope Rebecca’s confidence has taken a boost and she realises how good she is.

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jun-21 16:04:23

Just caught up with Bee this afternoon.

What a fantastic series this one has been..... some excellent sewing and really nice people taking part. Any of the three of them could have won in the final. Raph was definitely the most creative and imaginative, and his red dress was stunning but he didn't finish off the hem.

Rebecca's "festival challenge" was a poor choice of colours, but her "red carpet" dress was beautiful.

I wasn't keen on the acid yellow of Serena's dress, or the style, but she undoubtedly had stitched it beautifully... as indeed she had stitched all of her garments.

I shall miss Bee now the series has finished. What else is there to watch?

Greyduster Thu 17-Jun-21 16:37:45

I’m sorry this has finished. I can’t sew a button on, but I’m fascinated by the skill and ingenuity the sewers exhibit week after week. I didn’t like Serena’s dress and the model did it no favours (poor lass did admit she wasn’t comfortable with that kind of exposure), but you can’t take anything away from Serena’s supreme technical ability and attention to detail. A worthy winner.
Right! Bring back Pottery Throwdown??!

Luckygirl Thu 17-Jun-21 21:27:25

I didn't like any of the catwalk dresses either. Raph's was imaginative but unwearable; Rebecca's was in such weird material - looked more suitable for upholstering a sofa! - and the ruffle showed the back of the material and did not look good at all; and the yellow tulle dress from Serena was very well sewn but not a bit attractive.

And I do agree about the models - they all looked really uncomfortable and walked with their arms glued to their sides - I wondered if that was to make the bodices stay up!!!

But Serena was a worthy winner - a very skilled seamstress.

M0nica Thu 17-Jun-21 22:19:06

I agree, Raph's dress did not work because the fabric was too stiff, for a dress that was meant to drape and the short straight hemmed (or was it) skirt underneath, which was fully revealed because the fabric didn't fall in drapes over it, when revealed was more night club than red carpet.

However, personally, I loved Rebecca's and Serena's dresses. but wWhether they were to our individual taste is not really relevant, what was important was that they echoed, the fashion of the moment, that the styles and fabrics are the ones being featured by the main couture houses and being seen in fashion magazines and both Esme and Patrick are at the cutting edge of fashion and recognised that Serena's and Rebecca's dresses were on the cutting edge, and that, as well as impeccable needlework, was what was required.

M0nica Thu 17-Jun-21 22:23:16

Forgot to add that the problems with the models were that they weren't models, they were friends of the competitors and did not have a clue how to sashay down a catwalk the way models do. That is why most models are trained how to walk and display a dress on a catwalk. Just walking up and down as you would in the street just does not work. Someone with dance training probably could have done it, but if any of those girls had gone to dancing lessons, they obviously gave them up quite young.