Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

New Sewing Bee Series to start this week ...

(218 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 11-Apr-21 13:48:28

on Wednesday 14th April at 9.00 o'clock.

simplesewblog.com/great-british-sewing-bee-2021/

Dottydots Thu 06-May-21 18:30:18

I noticed Esme's necklace straightaway and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Every time the cameras were on her I looked to see if the coloured liquid had dribbled out on to her top.

I didn't realise it was a nod to Frida Khalo, so well done Esme.

Callistemon Thu 06-May-21 18:31:55

That's just my interpretation - it could be the latest fashion, of course.

M0nica Thu 06-May-21 18:42:49

Bluebelle I too am finding this series unexciting. I find the number of unfinished garments very depressing.

I undertsand that , when everyone finished every garment all the time caused problems and is a bit unexciting, but I now feel they have gone too far the other way. last night the majority of garments were unfinished in every round.

I am also disenchanted with the transformation round. They contestants are given rails of perfectly good clothes and then reduce them to rags, pretending to be garments that nobody would want to wear any where. Why do they not give them bundles of rags and ask them to produce wearable garments - even if it means giving them more time.

Amberone Thu 06-May-21 20:14:03

Totally agree about the transformation rounds - some of the contestants seem to be lacking any imagination.

There do seem to be a higher percentage of people panicking than usual - maybe why there are so many unfinished garments?

I think I'd like to see Raphael win this one, he's done a few good things.

threexnanny Thu 13-May-21 17:47:12

I enjoyed the chidren's week especially the raincoats. I've made plenty of children's clothes but never tried making a waterproof and after watching their problems I don't think I will try now. Loved the crab and the jellyfish.

Calendargirl Thu 13-May-21 18:47:37

Was sorry to see Adam go, although probably correct decision. He irritated me at the start of the series, he sounded a bit dopey, but he grew on me, and I thought he was talented.

Think Serena or Raph on course to win.

M0nica Thu 13-May-21 19:20:15

I really enjoyed last nights show, perhaps I was just feeling tired last week. Calendargirl I agree with your predictions, although, Farie(?) with her three garments of the week is a strong conender.

Luckygirl Thu 27-May-21 08:27:23

Some very well-made garments last night in the final challenge.

PippaZ Thu 27-May-21 08:30:36

It's getting very close now. There were some lovely final challenges Luckygirl; I think it must have been hard to chose.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 27-May-21 10:15:13

Just loved Raph’s dress last night, beautiful and a fabulous fit.

PippaZ Thu 27-May-21 10:39:09

He has got a designers eye.

Manhattan Thu 27-May-21 10:48:06

I was very worried for Raph after he got in a bit of a tizz over the collar on the flannel shirt and his scarf upcycling wasn't much of a transformation but that dress was gorgeous.

It's such an up and down competition. Damien continues to surprise me. I thought he was for an early bath weeks ago.

travelsafar Thu 27-May-21 11:00:44

I felt sorry for Damien last night, the judges loved his final garment and it did look stunning. Such a shame as in another round it may have been his time to shine.

Personally i thought the garment made from scarves by Andrew was very unique, yes it was a tad theatrical, but it showed off his creative skills and the fact he can think outside the box, whereas Raph was completely stumped.

GrandmasueUK Thu 03-Jun-21 15:41:46

I think it was definitely Damien's time to go this week. I did enjoy the opening bit with Joe, Patrick and Esme. It just tickled me somehow, especially as Esme as Yoda grin. I'm pleased that Rebecca finally got a first, although Serena is really good.

Grandmabatty Thu 03-Jun-21 15:51:58

I've felt Damien was on a shoogly peg for a number of weeks and definitely it was his time to go. Rebecca's dress was beautiful but Rafe's was a creation and I felt deserved garment of the week. Serena is a consummate sewer but plays it safe. I think Fari might go next.

Grandmajean Thu 03-Jun-21 16:03:57

I agree Fari will go next week. She doesn't seem to allow enough time for what she wants to do ( listen to me - I couldn't make any of those complicated garments ) but her dress last night was fabulous. Serena or Raph will win . You heard it first here.smile

Ilovecheese Thu 03-Jun-21 16:55:03

Agree it was time for Damien to go.
Fari is a good sewer but this competition includes speed of sewing which is not her forte, which doesn't matter at home.
I don't want to put money on either of the other three to win yet.
Really good series this year.

Luckygirl Thu 03-Jun-21 16:55:53

Joe Lycett is beginning to get on my wick, as they say!

Selena will win I think - she is consistent.

Trisha57 Thu 03-Jun-21 17:01:47

Did anyone else find Damien a bit of a know-all? He really irritated me from the start with his "I'll do it my way" despite being given strict briefs from the judges. And he was so smug - I don't usually get het up about TV but I really wanted him to go!

Ellianne Thu 03-Jun-21 17:20:00

I think Serena might win because her sewing is pretty perfect. On the other hand Raph has more flair and Esme likes his creations.

mrswoo Thu 03-Jun-21 17:21:46

I agree with you 100% Trisha. I honestly don’t understand how Damien lasted as long as he did. I didn’t find him amusing - his boastful way of never following the pattern seemed like an insult to the other contestants who were serious about the competition. The majority of his efforts were “botched” and lacked the style and expertise shown by the others.

Sorry, Luckygirl but I love Joe Lycett.

shysal Thu 03-Jun-21 17:22:04

Luckygirl, Joe has always got on my wick! How annoying it must be for the contestants when he mucks about when they are short of time.

Serena as the winner for me too.

threexnanny Thu 03-Jun-21 17:22:13

I thought Esme's face was a picture when she said Damien's pattern was not of the right decade and he passed it off as near enough.

Calendargirl Thu 03-Jun-21 17:47:43

Serena or Raph will win. You heard it first here.smile

Sorry Grandmajean but I predicted it on 13th May.

Of course, if both of us are wrong…..

Grandmajean Thu 03-Jun-21 17:51:59

Didn't spot that Calendargirl - Think Raph might just pip her to the post. I think she is very competitive and will pull out all the stops in the last week.