Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

'Viewpoint' on ITV and Noel Clarke

(193 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 14:02:32

Anyone watching this? ITV face pressure to axe the last episode tonight because of the sexual harassment claims around the lead actor Noel Clarke.
So should they go ahead and show the last episode? After all, viewers have committed their time to watching the series, and the other actors should be considered too. Or should they axe it because it's not appropriate? He hasn't been charged, so is this trial by media?
My view is the former, to consider the viewers and other actors and not jump the gun as no charges have yet been made.
Viewpoint Last Episode

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 15:17:07

Chestnut

I do think in this particular case it would have been difficult to keep his identity hidden until he was charged because there are so many other people involved. Not only the many accusers but everyone else he worked with, or is working with. I feel it's very wrong to have trial by media but in this day and age it can in some cases be hard to avoid.

Yes I think this is very fair comment - I honestly don’t know if there’s a solution. I wish there were.

The CR case was appalling - based on a tip off from the police to the BBC and with no investigation at all it appears, just ‘fishing’.

Vickysponge Fri 30-Apr-21 15:17:27

Sorry don’t know why BBC got into my reply!!

Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 15:17:53

The false accusers are really scum of the earth, because not only do they ruin an innocent person's life but they make it hard for genuine accusers who have actually been wronged.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 15:18:25

tanith

ITV have now cancelled the last episode, not surprising.

??

Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 15:22:37

Oh my goodness, so it wasn't just a few Twitterati complaints, it was a genuine concern. I think that was wrong to cancel. But in these days of pc wokeness gone mad no-one wants to take the slightest risk of offending anyone. I feel sorry for the viewers and the actors and crew who have worked hard on the production.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Apr-21 15:24:15

No idea what the details are.

Trial by media should be a crime in itself.

Four evenings viewing wasted ?

TerriBull Fri 30-Apr-21 15:37:52

Yes I agree GG, four evenings viewing wasted, although rather a slow burner, I wanted to see it through to it's conclusion.

I always liked Noel Clarke sad but will reserve judgement.

tanith Fri 30-Apr-21 15:38:32

Apparently ITV are putting the final episode on ITV Hub for a limited time for those who wish to seek it out. I hope those of you that want to have access to the Hub.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 15:40:21

tanith

Apparently ITV are putting the final episode on ITV Hub for a limited time for those who wish to seek it out. I hope those of you that want to have access to the Hub.

Hub easily accessible if in UK. Neat solution imo.

Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 15:41:57

Here we go: An actress friend, who asked not to be named, said the 45-year-old actor, writer and director's fall from grace is because 'no one likes it when a man of colour gets to the top'.
That is a blatant example of what is called 'playing the race card'. People may not like that term but it does sometimes ring true.

welbeck Fri 30-Apr-21 15:49:11

if she's a friend it may be hard for her to accept that he is not as nice as she thought.

GillT57 Fri 30-Apr-21 15:53:12

I fail to see how stopping a series at the penultimate episode is solving anything. All it does is punish the other actors in the series.

Callistemon Fri 30-Apr-21 15:55:05

The Daily Mail do like to exaggerate things like this.

I thought it was in The Guardian first?
www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/29/actor-noel-clarke-accused-of-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women

The DM was a bit slow there.

Callistemon Fri 30-Apr-21 15:56:03

I've never heard of him or the series.

(Head in the sand)

Callistemon Fri 30-Apr-21 15:57:07

GillT57

I fail to see how stopping a series at the penultimate episode is solving anything. All it does is punish the other actors in the series.

Agree - it's filmed, edited and that is not fair on other cast members.

welbeck Fri 30-Apr-21 16:03:31

they'll still get paid.
i think they'll probably prefer not to be further associated with him now. could harm their own brand, and opportunities.

Callistemon Fri 30-Apr-21 16:04:13

Yes, true

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 16:05:53

And does nothing for the women involved. We need to look at the culture that seems to be allowed to exist in some workplaces, it's too late after the event.

Nannatwiglet Fri 30-Apr-21 16:13:08

This is trial by media....surely he is innocent until proven guilty?

MerylStreep Fri 30-Apr-21 16:15:11

This is so odd. We have been watching the mini series
‘Viewpoint’
I’d never seen Noel Clarke before but right from the start I said to OH ^there’s something about him I don’t like’
He knows I’m very rarely wrong in spotting ‘them’ ?

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Apr-21 16:15:44

Callistemon

^The Daily Mail do like to exaggerate things like this.^

I thought it was in The Guardian first?
www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/29/actor-noel-clarke-accused-of-groping-harassment-and-bullying-by-20-women

The DM was a bit slow there.

Yes, you are right. I read about this chap in the Guardian this morning but didn't notice that people were calling for the programme to be taken off.

I am disapointed because I have recorded the first four episodes to watch the drama at a future date, but don't know if I will have time now before the last episode is taken off the hub.

I don't blame the women automatically though, I do tend to believe them, especially with so many accusations.

But yes, it must be hard if it is a friend.

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Apr-21 16:16:07

Bum, we won’t know who done it.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 16:18:31

Jaxjacky

Bum, we won’t know who done it.

It’s on ITV Hub tonight.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 16:19:29

Nannatwiglet

This is trial by media....surely he is innocent until proven guilty?

We’ve been discussing that point upthread.

Boz Fri 30-Apr-21 16:29:14

I am trying to think if anyone comes back from these accusations. Didn't the guy who played ken Barlow have a similar problem?