Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

'Viewpoint' on ITV and Noel Clarke

(192 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 14:02:32

Anyone watching this? ITV face pressure to axe the last episode tonight because of the sexual harassment claims around the lead actor Noel Clarke.
So should they go ahead and show the last episode? After all, viewers have committed their time to watching the series, and the other actors should be considered too. Or should they axe it because it's not appropriate? He hasn't been charged, so is this trial by media?
My view is the former, to consider the viewers and other actors and not jump the gun as no charges have yet been made.
Viewpoint Last Episode

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 14:06:13

I think they should show it. I am more interest in justice being served than a TV show being cancelled. I think this is going to run and run. I suspect it was hell in earth to be a woman on DrWho.

Vickysponge Fri 30-Apr-21 14:10:21

Definitely show it. He is innocent until proved otherwise.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 14:12:47

Same for Boris then. ?

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:13:42

Yet another person who is publicly accused and named by the media, by, so far, unknown women.

It’s about time that anonymity is the norm for both sides and not just the accusers.

As vickyspongesays innocent until proven guilty

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Apr-21 14:14:19

I don't think there is much pressure being applied to ITV to cancel, just a few commentators on Twitter. I think ITV will think it makes more commercial sense to show the final episode.
The Daily Mail do like to exaggerate things like this.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:23:36

He has been removed from BAFTA Sky have halted all filming and another production company has removed him from all productions.

None of this information is from the Daily Mail.

He has been unofficially tried and found guilty already.

Vickysponge Fri 30-Apr-21 14:24:06

Urmstongran

Same for Boris then. ?

Absolutely! ?

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 14:26:38

Those poor women. From his own words it sounds horrendous. Not just him either from his own words.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:26:43

Urmstongran

Same for Boris then. ?

Yes , same for him to

Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 14:30:53

This trial by media has got to stop. Allegations are not enough to condemn anyone, as we've seen so often in the past. It should be illegal to name anyone before the Police have charged them. I know they like to encourage other victims to come forward, but it's just possible the one accused is a victim of malicious accusers. It is not worth the risk if it ruins an innocent man's life.

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 14:30:59

He calls his wife vagina at home.

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Apr-21 14:33:48

Hmm so this chap is the victim of 20, yes 20, malicious accusers?

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 14:36:22

Personally I think they should show it and my guess is they will. The issue about innocent until proven guilty does not mean that people carry on as normal until so proven - should policemen, doctors, teachers, social workers accused of inappropriate behaviour be allowed to work normally in the interim? The investigation is not based on tittle tattle and publication was cleared by the paper’s lawyers.

Galaxy Fri 30-Apr-21 14:39:19

Christopher Ecclestone left dr who after one series due to toxic work environment.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 30-Apr-21 14:39:26

He isn’t a Policeman, Teacher, Doctor or Social Worker though is he?

He stands up, dressed up and recites words that others have written for him.

It may well all be true, but he should have remained anonymous.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 14:45:20

That’s true but he is in a very powerful position vis a vis the people he is working with and he does far more than dress up and recite words. Having read the full investigation would you be content for example for your 16 year old dgd to do work experience on a production he was involved in? There’s such a thing as safeguarding and duty of care across all working environments you know.

Vickysponge Fri 30-Apr-21 14:47:07

Chestnut

This trial by media has got to stop. Allegations are not enough to condemn anyone, as we've seen so often in the past. It should be illegal to name anyone before the Police have charged them. I know they like to encourage other victims to come forward, but it's just possible the one accused is a victim of malicious accusers. It is not worth the risk if it ruins an innocent man's life.

Couldn’t agree more. Well said!

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 14:47:47

Oopsadaisy1

He isn’t a Policeman, Teacher, Doctor or Social Worker though is he?

He stands up, dressed up and recites words that others have written for him.

It may well all be true, but he should have remained anonymous.

The problem with anonymity when you are a public figure of some kind is very difficult. I’m not saying that's right just that it’s difficult. I don’t know why he was named.

Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 14:56:29

Ilovecheese

Hmm so this chap is the victim of 20, yes 20, malicious accusers?

I never said he was a victim. But others are, and it's one law for everyone so that would include him.

suziewoozie Fri 30-Apr-21 14:58:53

Can you explain how you would have managed the risk of the safety of young women working with him in the interim?

Chestnut Fri 30-Apr-21 15:04:05

I do think in this particular case it would have been difficult to keep his identity hidden until he was charged because there are so many other people involved. Not only the many accusers but everyone else he worked with, or is working with. I feel it's very wrong to have trial by media but in this day and age it can in some cases be hard to avoid.

Vickysponge Fri 30-Apr-21 15:10:47

Chestnut

I do think in this particular case it would have been difficult to keep his identity hidden until he was charged because there are so many other people involved. Not only the many accusers but everyone else he worked with, or is working with. I feel it's very wrong to have trial by media but in this day and age it can in some cases be hard to avoid.

Yes, look what happened to Cliff Ritchard. It nearly finished him off and he was completely innocent.

Vickysponge Fri 30-Apr-21 15:16:36

ITV are not going to BBC show the last ep of Viewpoint.

tanith Fri 30-Apr-21 15:16:55

ITV have now cancelled the last episode, not surprising.