Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Meghan at 40: The Climb to Power airs on Channel 5 on Saturday 9.30pm.

(121 Posts)
lemsip Fri 23-Jul-21 13:32:09

Meghan at 40: The Climb to Power airs on Channel 5 on Saturday 9.30pm.

trisher Mon 26-Jul-21 11:06:13

Isn't it interesting my mother never liked Diana- at the time of the engagement she said D was "batting her eyelids and pretending to look all innocent but she's not what she pretends to be".
I think Kate's smile sometimes looks pasted on. That photo is great Alegrias1. And 25Avalon doesn't like Meghan's.
You can't please all the people....

MoorlandMooner Mon 26-Jul-21 11:07:50

I think if I was a young woman marrying the delightful Harry I would be smiling like the cat that got the cream - and then some!

This thread is a crowd of women, nothing better to do, sitting around picking apart a young woman we've never met for smiling in church.

A low point that makes me think we'd all be better off doing something more useful.

Ellianne Mon 26-Jul-21 12:09:54

trisher

Isn't it interesting my mother never liked Diana- at the time of the engagement she said D was "batting her eyelids and pretending to look all innocent but she's not what she pretends to be".
I think Kate's smile sometimes looks pasted on. That photo is great Alegrias1. And 25Avalon doesn't like Meghan's.
You can't please all the people....

That is very weird trisher. Like your mum, my mum also disliked Diana and before their wedding she predicted there would be a divorce one day. My mum never lived to see it, but I can hear her saying, "told you so!"

M0nica Mon 26-Jul-21 12:11:40

Not having watched the wedding I have no idea whether she smiled in church or not, surely all brides smile in church.

I am just saddened to see something that seemed to promise so much for a young man, who seemed open and charming despite many difficulties in life and had at last found love and stability with an attractive woman who seemed to be everything anybody ever wanted for him, vivacious, lively and with her mixed background made the royal family truly representative of so many families in Britain - and then within such a short period to see them suddenly withdraw from life and go abroad because they wanted a private life without the trappings of royalty.

If that was what they had done, withdrawn into a private life abroad most of us would have regretted it but not have been particularly bothered.

It is their exploitation of this 'private life' for money that has had most of us curling our lips with distaste and I think it is clear that Prince Harry, lovely and charming man that he always appeared has neither the brain power, experience or personality to drive a campaign like this.

I admire The Duchess of Sussex for her intelligence and commercial savvy. I just do not like the way she is using it and the way she is prepared with careless disregard to damage other peoples lives (those of her husband's family) to achieve it.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 26-Jul-21 12:22:58

M0nica

Not having watched the wedding I have no idea whether she smiled in church or not, surely all brides smile in church.

I am just saddened to see something that seemed to promise so much for a young man, who seemed open and charming despite many difficulties in life and had at last found love and stability with an attractive woman who seemed to be everything anybody ever wanted for him, vivacious, lively and with her mixed background made the royal family truly representative of so many families in Britain - and then within such a short period to see them suddenly withdraw from life and go abroad because they wanted a private life without the trappings of royalty.

If that was what they had done, withdrawn into a private life abroad most of us would have regretted it but not have been particularly bothered.

It is their exploitation of this 'private life' for money that has had most of us curling our lips with distaste and I think it is clear that Prince Harry, lovely and charming man that he always appeared has neither the brain power, experience or personality to drive a campaign like this.

I admire The Duchess of Sussex for her intelligence and commercial savvy. I just do not like the way she is using it and the way she is prepared with careless disregard to damage other peoples lives (those of her husband's family) to achieve it.

But where is the proof. She is certainly outspoken in that American sort of way a d some of her blood relatives are a little strange. I still think the tabloid press ruined it for them. They very nearly did for Kate. All that Waity Katie stuff and the awful things written about her when she had those dreadful pregnancies. She has just about come through it but I wonder if she ever eats!

Calendargirl Mon 26-Jul-21 13:31:02

Alegrias1

^I'm going to marry a Prince you know^

But even better than that, one day, I’m going to be a queen

?

Calendargirl Mon 26-Jul-21 13:39:21

M0nica

MOnica sums it all up well.

I honestly don’t think either Harry or Meghan really gave enough thought to how their escape from royal life would actually be funded. The security bill for starters. I truly think that they somehow naively believed that issues like this would continue to be funded by either the taxpayer or PC.

The Queen, Charles and William are looking to their own futures, well, not so much the Queen, and they are savvy enough to know Joe Public will only go so far in keeping the Monarchy.

M0nica Mon 26-Jul-21 14:27:04

Where is the proof? Are you joking? The Oprah interview, these books, everything that comes from their press office.

She was greeted with adulation and delight when she arrived, right up until they decided to retire from public life, even then there was a lot of sympathy for them. It is their behaviour since that has caused the tide to turn against them.

Alegrias1 Mon 26-Jul-21 14:40:02

I wondered about the "tide", so I looked it up. No information on "the tide", but an interesting split along party lines.

At least she's more popular than Ed Balls grin but not quite up there with the Pope.

(YouGov poll)

Maggiemaybe Mon 26-Jul-21 15:18:06

The same poll shows her popularity going down from 40% to 32% since last Autumn, so there has been a bit of a sea change.....

It doesn't seem to go back any further, unfortunately.

Callistemon Mon 26-Jul-21 15:26:10

Ellianne

PS if anyone is interested I was dealing with wee, poo, milky meals and cuddles with my new arrival of 6 hours earlier!!

I was just going to congratulate you on the arrival of your new baby, then saw the photos of the new arrival!

Just adorable!

Callistemon Mon 26-Jul-21 15:35:29

I think I looked terrified as I walked up the aisle but there was no-one filming it thank goodness.

MoorlandMooner Mon 26-Jul-21 16:29:19

M0nica

Where is the proof? Are you joking? The Oprah interview, these books, everything that comes from their press office.

She was greeted with adulation and delight when she arrived, right up until they decided to retire from public life, even then there was a lot of sympathy for them. It is their behaviour since that has caused the tide to turn against them.

Was she really greeted with adulation and delight right up until they decided to retire from public life?

I remember some truly cruel headlines and articles in the Daily Mail and a thorough hounding by Sarah Vine and Piers Morgan amongst others. For some she could barely put a foot right from the moment she married.

M0nica Mon 26-Jul-21 16:48:54

You read a different daily mail to me.

MoorlandMooner Mon 26-Jul-21 17:08:01

M0nica

You read a different daily mail to me.

This is the Daily Mail we both read.....

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-5738123/SARAH-VINE-10-nagging-questions-wedding-mind.html

meghanpedia.com/the-curious-case-of-sour-vine/

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FEAresPwVUAAJevH.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fnicholaspegg%2Fstatus%2F1155981116060213253&tbnid=pB9IC2U4Hc2V4M&vet=12ahUKEwim-eGpjoHyAhUPsxoKHfVKA9oQMygUegQIARA5..i&docid=FmfIyV7i4mNjLM&w=480&h=222&q=sarah%20vine%20niggling%20question&ved=2ahUKEwim-eGpjoHyAhUPsxoKHfVKA9oQMygUegQIARA5

www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01orQzhl3FSKCTOS8pczM5G6ZDcOg:1627315395350&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=sarah+vine+niggling+question&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjd4c6gjoHyAhW7RhUIHShQDSAQjJkEegQIGRAC&biw=

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FDdZCrx4XcAAo_7m.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fdmreporter%2Fstatus%2F997057706035961856&tbnid=kN_woh9EF4lpsM&vet=12ahUKEwim-eGpjoHyAhUPsxoKHfVKA9oQMygEegQIARAZ..i&docid=yIuYO2yCLa4QnM&w=1200&h=660&q=sarah%20vine%20niggling%20question&ved=2ahUKEwim-eGpjoHyAhUPsxoKHfVKA9oQMygEegQIARAZ

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56296835

MoorlandMooner Mon 26-Jul-21 18:07:31

"I honestly don’t think either Harry or Meghan really gave enough thought to how their escape from royal life would actually be funded. The security bill for starters. I truly think that they somehow naively believed that issues like this would continue to be funded by either the taxpayer or PC."

When Megan married Harry she had already earned a fortune of $4.8 million. Harry inherited £6 million from his mother, an amount which had grown to £10 million by the time he could access the money.

"I think it is clear that Prince Harry, lovely and charming man that he always appeared has neither the brain power, experience or personality to drive a campaign like this."

You don't know that. You've just made it up. It's not clear at all.

Where do all these little stories you tell yourselves come from? You repeat them on here as though they are fact. You have never met these people. You know nothing about them.

M0nica Mon 26-Jul-21 20:08:51

MoorlandMooner We will have to agree to disagree.

25Avalon Tue 27-Jul-21 09:30:22

MoorlandMooner I don’t think M0nica was stating anything as fact, but merely giving her opinion as every comment was prefaced with “I think”.

M0nica Tue 27-Jul-21 19:59:46

Thank you 25Avalon

MoorlandMooner Tue 27-Jul-21 22:07:02

You are quite right 25Avalon. I owe you an apology M0nica.

We will have to agree to disagree M0nica as the sample of articles taken from the Daily Mail demonstrate quite clearly that Meghan was not in their favour long before she retired from royal life. I remember living through it and thinking that I the paper must be making the young woman's life a misery.