Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Charlie Watts

(60 Posts)
Mouseybrown60 Tue 24-Aug-21 17:37:45

It has just been announced that Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones has died aged 80. RIP Charlie.

3dognight Tue 24-Aug-21 20:36:37

What a cool guy, will be sadly missed.

An unassuming rock legend.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Aug-21 20:49:00

Rest in peace Charlie, without doubt a fine man.
I hope that this now marks the end of Jagger’s egotistical greed.
Yes, they made some excellent music, but I find the way that the Stones carried on for decades, making piles and piles of cash very strange. I hope that Watts had chance to enjoy it.
Remembering L’wren Scott too. flowers

MissAdventure Tue 24-Aug-21 20:56:50

I always enjoyed watching Charlie, just getting on with the job, as much as Jagger's performances.
smile
Ta for the music, Charlie.

NanKate Tue 24-Aug-21 21:14:54

A great guy and musician. ?

Nortsat Tue 24-Aug-21 21:49:39

I always maintained that you could be anywhere in the world and if you walked into a venue and heard a drum intro, you would know if it was Charlie Watts ... and you would know that was the Stones.

A beacon in an uncertain world ... thank you Charlie.
Step gently over the rainbow bridge.

Jaxjacky Tue 24-Aug-21 21:56:35

The quiet man in nature, the passion in his music, thank you Charlie RIP.

Nortsat Tue 24-Aug-21 22:02:01

Lovely clip Silverbridge, thank you.
Wonderful music.

NotTooOld Tue 24-Aug-21 22:54:01

sad sad sad

TwiceAsNice Tue 24-Aug-21 22:58:43

Very sad to hear this today. Always been a stones fan . Hard for them to manage as a group now apart from I imagine, them all being devastated.

Shinamae Tue 24-Aug-21 23:05:24

Shine on Charlie Watts ……✨??

Shirleyw Wed 25-Aug-21 05:03:29

Sad news. Thanks for the clip silverbridge, very good.

BigBertha1 Wed 25-Aug-21 06:02:52

Stones forme. RIP Charlie xx

Esspee Wed 25-Aug-21 06:49:04

First time I saw the Stones live they weren't even top of the bill. Last time was in Barcelona on their European tour a few years ago.
Charlie was the anchor and will be much missed.

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-Aug-21 08:06:17

Nice little tribute from Stewart Copeland today.

He explained the technical way Charlie played - which I'd honestly never given a moment's thought to. Why would I?
Obviously lots of drummers had.
What an amazing driven sound he helped create.

henetha Wed 25-Aug-21 10:24:38

I love the Stones and admire their doggedness is keeping on going. Rest in peace, the wonderfully musical and elegant Charlie Watts.

Jane43 Wed 25-Aug-21 10:47:22

Sad to see another icon of the music of our youth gone, he always seemed such a gentle soul. RIP Charlie.

Rosalyn69 Wed 25-Aug-21 10:49:57

Icon. Sadly missed.

annifrance Wed 25-Aug-21 10:53:26

Charlie was my favourite Stone, very sad that he's died. Great tributes to him in the Guardian last night.

I loved that he and his wife bred Arab horses. I once saw a photo of them at a horse event. Charlie was as ever sartorial in morning dress.

We have many Wagtails around our pool, my favourite bird, and they remind me of Charlie in his morning dress, or father of the bride, and I call them all Charlie Watts as they strut around the pool while I float in my water hammock. I shall regard them with even more affection now.

Paperbackwriter Wed 25-Aug-21 10:53:47

Deedaa

I always thought Charlie gave the impression that he would rather have been playing jazz - and why not?

Charlie did prefer jazz and had projects of his own going on with jazz musicians. He came to our house once for work-related stuff and was a delight.

cupcake1 Wed 25-Aug-21 10:55:35

RIP Charlie the most ‘normal’ one in the band ?

Nannapat1 Wed 25-Aug-21 11:04:32

Very sad, the end of an era for me when The Stones start to die. They somehow seemed invincible. Apart from Brian Jones of course.
Totally agree

GagaJo Wed 25-Aug-21 11:27:43

Great story here about Charlie punching Mick for calling him 'his drummer'.

consequence.net/2021/08/charlie-watts-punched-mick-jagger/?fbclid=IwAR05T1_WIR33EEyhsUNn_Rlx7z_WG5QsgFAwTqZohFhfWicJtq_KzArBCio

HannahLoisLuke Wed 25-Aug-21 11:46:17

A true gentleman and a bit of a dandy. I was listening to the tributes to Charlie on the radio during the night and as well as his love of jazz, horses, family and clothes he was also very knowledgeable on military history.
A quiet enigma of a man who will be much missed.
RIP Charlie and condolences to his family.

Bossyrossy Wed 25-Aug-21 13:36:39

In the early 60s I saw the Stones at Finsbury Park Empire, and at the free concert in Hyde Park. A few years ago they played again at Hyde Park (definitely not free) and I took my three grown up kids to see them, we had a wonderful time. Charlie was always my favourite, a great drummer and a lovely man. RIP.

homefarm Wed 25-Aug-21 13:54:09

Will certainly be missed.
Knew him when he was a very good graphic artist with a 'respectable' day job, very kind to everyone.