Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Charlie Watts

(60 Posts)
Mouseybrown60 Tue 24-Aug-21 17:37:45

It has just been announced that Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones has died aged 80. RIP Charlie.

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:09:35

Cool quiet and the best 'stone' for me in 60s/70s . Gone to the great big drum choir in the sky , say hi to everyone from all of us charlie.what a loss

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:20:36

Thanks for flip silver ridge .like eavesdropping on friends' chat , wonderful.

Gabrielle56 Wed 25-Aug-21 15:21:04

#clip ! .....never don't check....

Edith81 Wed 25-Aug-21 16:32:30

I liked The Stones and The Beatles equally as they were totally different. RIP Charlie, he will be sorely missed by his band mates.

songstress60 Wed 25-Aug-21 17:40:48

I was both a Stones and Beatles fan. they gave great music. Don't think One Direction will last as long and Harry Styles has NO talent. It's all about his looks. All the Stones are amazing.

olliebeak Wed 25-Aug-21 18:28:26

Juliet27

As Maybee wrote Was it Marianne Faithfull that said it was only when she got older that she realised Charlie was the good looking one
I’d never taken much notice of him but looking at photos of him on the news today, he certainly was good looking.

Yeah - Charlie was never considered to be 'the good-looking one' of The Stones - that honour went to Brian Jones and Keith Richards (in the very early days). He was 'just there' as others have said.

The difference is that he hasn't destroyed his body with all kinds of rubbish. I'm amazed that Keith is still able to still stand up on his own two feet.

He may not have been handsome at the age of 23 - but for an 80yr old, he ain't bad at all ;-)

MayBee70 Wed 25-Aug-21 20:50:52

One thing I started to realise as I got older was which people would age well and which wouldn’t. I know of several nerdy looking men that no one looked at when young that turned into suave silver foxes as they got older. What Charlie had (and that’s the secret to ageing well) was amazing bone structure. What a beauty his wife is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen photos if her before. And, as if they couldn’t get any more wonderful as a couple they used to rescue retired greyhounds, too.

glammagran Wed 25-Aug-21 22:18:42

“Songstress* I think One Direction are long defunct.

Charlie Watts bypassed the 60’s in terms of drugs but I’ve read in one article that he was a heroin user in the ‘80’s which surprised me.

Shropshirelass Fri 27-Aug-21 10:03:17

Yes it is sad, I read that he didn’t listen to the Stones music as he didn’t like it! Drumming was his job and he just went to do his job. He was a brilliant drummer, irreplaceable. Wonder what Mick Jagger will do now, retire?