Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Grantchester

(90 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 01-Oct-21 22:02:55

Oh no, poor Leonard!

?

travelsafar Sat 09-Oct-21 13:20:30

Oh i must catch up with this story line i forgot it was on. Thanks for the reminder.

travelsafar Sat 09-Oct-21 13:20:30

Oh i must catch up with this story line i forgot it was on. Thanks for the reminder.

Calendargirl Sat 09-Oct-21 15:37:18

I agree the Bishop is bigoted, so is Sylvia, but we have to remember the time it is supposed to be, 1958?

A completely different world, especially in the CofE.

Over 60 years ago, times have changed so much.

Female clergy, gay vicars, same sex marriages- couldn’t possibly have been envisaged back then.

Aveline Sat 09-Oct-21 16:00:41

I wonder how many Nigerian curates were around in rural parishes 60 years ago? This 'parachuting' in of black actors is becoming really noticeable. I know I'll be shouted at for saying this but it's becoming so common. The percentage of black people in the UK was much smaller then than it is now. It's absolutely reasonable to include black families in modern day dramas and soaps. It's the anachronistic casting that strikes me and distracts from the story.

Aldom Sat 09-Oct-21 16:06:05

Avelinein 1953-54 I clearly remember the black curate at our church.

threexnanny Sat 09-Oct-21 16:06:51

I have been watching this series although I agree the holiday camp episode was awful. On the whole I preferred James Norton's 'Sydney' to Will. May give up watching if Leonard goes as I don't think Sylvia's part has as much of an edge since she's married.

Ilovecheese Sat 09-Oct-21 16:09:29

We had a black priest in the late fifties, early sixties.

Aldom Sat 09-Oct-21 16:16:36

Oh, and I almost forgot. A black curate baptised my daughter in 1969.

Calendargirl Sat 09-Oct-21 16:16:40

I wonder how many Nigerian curates were around in rural parishes 60 years ago

I grew up in a very rural area in the 50’s, you saw no Nigerian people at all, let alone in the ministry.

Callistemon Sat 09-Oct-21 16:37:50

I must have missed an episode.

Poor Leonard, I do like him. He seems quite nerdy but quite different in real life which shows his acting skills.

gillgran Sun 10-Oct-21 12:21:03

Yes, he really did look a "poor Leonard", in his brief appearance at the end of this week's episode.

This hit home to me, especially as I watched "Strictly", last night.

How times have changed, thank goodness!

travelsafar Sun 10-Oct-21 12:23:27

I agree, thank god that gay men and women are now allowed freedom to love whom they wish. Poor Leonard, lets hope he gets a reprieve.

Aveline Sun 10-Oct-21 15:06:01

I know a gay ex vicar. He's a lovely man and would have been an excellent minister. He left as his face didn't fit in the church hierarchy. Luckily, he's found a job where his innate people skills and kindness can express themselves and be welcomed by those that need them.

Atqui Sun 10-Oct-21 17:46:34

I really like the series . It’s obviously ridiculous to imagine a vicar would be helping the police with their work in that way but it would not be entertainment if the story stuck to real life, as in all these dramas . Would we ever go to hospital again if they were really like Holby City?

Atqui Sun 10-Oct-21 17:47:40

I’m hoping Leanord might get a non custodial sentence on appeal. The judge said it would have been had L not been a vicar.

Azalea99 Sun 17-Oct-21 20:53:17

I can’t believe how good this series has become. Grantchester was, until now, pleasant entertainment but it has turned into a hard-hitting version of its former self and it’s riveting. The writers deserve an award.

gillgran Sat 23-Oct-21 11:52:59

Great to see Leonard out of prison, he looked so much better, I had feared for him.

So, instead of "poor Leonard", it was "poor Geordie",(& Kathy, his long suffering wife), With Geordie still coping with the mental & physical torture he suffered during the war as a POW.

I think last night was the final episode of this series.?

Welshwife Sat 23-Oct-21 12:25:53

Yes I think so too.
Hope there is another series.

nadateturbe Sat 23-Oct-21 12:40:25

I love it. Pleasant viewing, like All Creatures. ..
The kind of programmes we used to have all the time.

sodapop Sat 23-Oct-21 12:52:17

Leonard seemed to find his feet leading the prison bible class. I wonder if he will take that direction in the next series. I hope he isn't written out. I am beginning to find Will a bit annoying now ( but still dishy )

Calendargirl Sat 12-Mar-22 07:09:49

Well, we’re back with Will, Geordie, Leonard, and all for another series.

Back in 1959, would a vicar have been knocking back shorts in a jazz club, then doing a bit of Dirty Dancing with a beautiful stranger? Obviously yes. And would she have had a phone number? Back then, most of us had to use a public call box. (I know she just wrote ‘ciao’)

Then torrid sex in his empty vicarage. shock

Hope Len’s poetry cafe goes well.

Geordie is starting to look very old and careworn.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Mar-22 07:34:50

I enjoyed last nights episode.

I was only two years old in 1959 so my recollections of jazz clubs are rather hazy ???

Chestnut Sat 12-Mar-22 09:21:42

I agree the sexual behaviour seems very out of time for that period, for a vicar. It's as though they are trying to appeal to a modern audience which is not what this is about. I've rather lost respect for Will (the character) behaving like that, it's turning the series into the same old stuff we see all the time. I rather liked its quirkiness and that it was different from the rest.

Dottydots Sat 12-Mar-22 11:29:17

I too have gone off Will for his antics. Geordie could do with some new clothes as his are so dull and make him look more miserable. As for Len, I just want to wrap him up in a blanket and look after him.

gillgran Sat 12-Mar-22 17:53:13

Pleased to see a new series. 1959, (I was 13 years old)!

I certainly never met a vicar like Will......then, or since!!
(I've lived a rather sheltered life, here in the Cambridgeshire fens)!!

Great to see Leonard, not sure about his poetry, could be good in Cambridge city?

Surely Geordie & his wife will get back together.