Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm

(138 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Tue 05-Oct-21 09:57:21

Delighted to see the return of one of my favourite programmes tonight at 9pm. I love watching their life on the farm. The children are wonderful.

glammanana Wed 13-Oct-21 09:39:08

Such a lovely programme last night watching the little ones saying goodbye to Little Joe was so touching.
Sidney with his dog after his training and bonding with him was heart warming they will be best friends for many years to come,can't wait for the arrival of the puppies next week.

kissngate Wed 13-Oct-21 19:54:33

The best programme on TV. Its family life at its best everyone mucks in and all show kindness to one another including creatures great and small.

Floradora9 Thu 14-Oct-21 14:31:59

I feel the dad does not get enough of the praise he is a great dad. Those who say they never see the children argue or fight that is down to editing of course . No children are so good all the time .

nightowl Thu 14-Oct-21 15:10:43

Hetty58 I’m with you on this. I don’t like the sentimentalising of farming. I find it strange that they can mourn a much loved pony who has had a long life and a natural death, but send their young healthy sheep off to slaughter without a thought. It’s a mindset I just don’t get.

glammanana Wed 27-Oct-21 10:41:30

I do hope some of you saw last nights episode of the endearing scene's between Clive Owen & young Sidney ? They where out on a hillside and Sidney had found the entrance to an old mine shaft during one of his days of adventure on the vast surrounding to the Farm I found it so touching the genuine interest he has in his son's findings and to how it relates to his own childhood,if you haven't watched it yet it is certainly well worth a watch,just have the hankies at the ready

Kate1949 Wed 27-Oct-21 10:43:27

It was lovely glamma What a lovely dad Clive is.

sodapop Wed 27-Oct-21 12:57:16

Sadly it seems their marriage is in some difficulty and they are living apart. Don't know how serious it is or even if it's true.

Luckygirl Wed 27-Oct-21 13:08:08

That is sad. Let us hope the children can maintain some continuity in their lives.

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 13:21:34

send their young healthy sheep off to slaughter without a thought

It is very much with thought: the lambs are grown as food for people, as has happened throughout human history since the start of farming.

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 13:24:18

Growing lamb for meat is what the farm is for!

Plus some beef now I think as well.

Kate1949 Wed 27-Oct-21 13:24:25

Oh no sodapop I hope not sad Amanda is doing a lot of personal appearances and a tour. She did a photoshoot for The Times Magazine I think it was. She was looking fabulous.

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 13:25:03

sodapop

Sadly it seems their marriage is in some difficulty and they are living apart. Don't know how serious it is or even if it's true.

If you don't know this gossip's provenance, why are you repeating it?

Lincslass Wed 27-Oct-21 13:26:11

Hetty58

It must be just me, then, who's watched - but found it all rather twee and sickly. The suffering of those poor farm animals puts me off. Still, the income from all the TV stuff must be welcome.

What suffering, please elaborate. The Owens go out of their way to make sure the animals are all well cared for.

sodapop Wed 27-Oct-21 15:54:26

Bit harsh Baggs I thought someone else may have heard about it. Thought this was part of the chat on here.

Galaxy Wed 27-Oct-21 15:56:47

It's available to any who can Google. And to be honest the whole thread is really speculation. We cant know that they have amazing lives or are amazing parents.

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 15:56:54

I think unsubstantiated gossip is harsh.

NotTooOld Wed 27-Oct-21 17:45:18

I saw that on the internet, too. It said Mrs O is living at their rental property. Might be true, might not be true, but it was there for anyone to read.

Grandmagrim Wed 27-Oct-21 18:02:55

Floradora9

I feel the dad does not get enough of the praise he is a great dad. Those who say they never see the children argue or fight that is down to editing of course . No children are so good all the time .

Clive has done a great job with the kids. They are genuinely nice children.

Luckygirl Wed 27-Oct-21 18:56:41

I wish my Dad had been like Clive! - or at least the Clive we see on TV. He is always there with praise without going over the top.

Farming life is full of apparent contradictions when it comes to animals. Mourning a much-loved pet, and being closely attached to their dogs whilst at the same time sending their livestock off for slaughter is part of the farming life.

They breed the lambs for meat in the main, so it is a given that they will be killed. Let us hope they live as good lives as possible until they go to the abattoir. Mind you it looks darned cold for them out there.

People's attitudes to animals are complex - if one is a meat eater, then animals will die for this; those same people love their dogs and cats. It is the way of life.

lemsip Wed 27-Oct-21 20:01:21

baggs........that was extremely harsh of you and maybe you should have googled the situation before talking of the 'provenance'
it's all over the press for goodness sake including a joint statement from the couple!

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 20:42:08

Since when did something being all over the press not make it gossip that doesn't need repeating?

Galaxy Wed 27-Oct-21 20:44:34

I am not sure the internet would exist if we applied that rule to everything.

Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 20:46:49

Tittle-tattle.

nightowl Wed 27-Oct-21 21:21:50

Baggs

Growing lamb for meat is what the farm is for!

Plus some beef now I think as well.

But that, whilst mourning a very old pony is exactly what I find bizarre. Ah well, different mindset I suppose. I’ll never get it.

25Avalon Wed 27-Oct-21 21:49:20

Clive and Amanda have issued a joint statement saying their marriage is going through a rocky patch which has been amplified by some sections of the media. They’ve asked for privacy as they work through it. It’s in The Yorkshire Post - where else?