Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alec Baldwin - guns

(112 Posts)
Zoejory Fri 22-Oct-21 08:20:22

Alec Baldwin has shot and killed a member of the film crew, cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, on a film set. Another person was injured.

Why on earth do films still use guns with lethal ammunition? I thought this had been stopped years ago. With all the special effects and amazing skill, surely a totally harmless gun can be used.

Heartbreaking for all concerned

Blossoming Fri 22-Oct-21 16:16:40

Cross post seacliff!

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 16:58:47

Why would it need to be capable of firing anything with sound effects and cgi available.

Similar to what I was thinking - in fact I thought they could use an unloaded prop gun and add in sound effects later.

AGAA4 Fri 22-Oct-21 17:01:34

I am a bit sceptical about this too. Why was he firing at someone who wasn't part of the scene in the film?

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 17:04:44

I presume it was a tragic accident but Baldwin has had anger issues and allegedly assaulted a photographer years ago. One of his wives divorced him citing abuse and his inability to control his temper.

Why someone known to have such issues was allowed to handle a lethal weapon on a film set is a question that will need to be answered.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Oct-21 17:23:31

I can’t understand how two people got involved one dead one injured were two bullets discharged ?
It all seems terribly murky
In films they can have special effects for everything plane crashes buildings falling, volcanos erupting men from outter space arriving I CANNOT believe that guns have to fire to be authentic Are they saying in 2021 they cannot find a sound to coincide with a gunshot
My oh my

BlueBelle Fri 22-Oct-21 17:23:38

I can’t understand how two people got involved one dead one injured were two bullets discharged ?
In films they can have special effects for everything plane crashes buildings falling, volcanos erupting men from outter space arriving I CANNOT believe that guns have to fire to be authentic Are they saying in 2021 they cannot find a sound to coincide with a gunshot
My oh my

BlueBelle Fri 22-Oct-21 17:23:38

My oh my

BlueBelle Fri 22-Oct-21 17:24:06

Sorry for that folks it wouldn’t post AGAIN

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 17:26:00

I don't think its right that people are speculating that he has anger issues or that he deliberately pointed the prop gun at someone.

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 18:13:04

BlueBelle

Sorry for that folks it wouldn’t post AGAIN

Posting is proving to be a problem today

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 18:14:22

Yes, so much is possible now.

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 18:15:43

Alegrias1

I don't think its right that people are speculating that he has anger issues or that he deliberately pointed the prop gun at someone.

His anger issues are not speculation. They are well-documented.

A woman is dead and a man with anger issues was allowed to handle a weapon capable of killing someone on a film set.
Fact.

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Oct-21 18:28:15

So it's OK to speculate that he lost his temper and intentionally killed someone?

Clue: no its not. Hope I don't get any of you lot on the jury if I'm ever on trial.

sodapop Fri 22-Oct-21 18:40:01

Posting seems to be a problem most days now Callistemon they don't appear able to resolve the problem.
It does seem strange that a real loaded gun was in use. So far it seems like a tragic accident but a lot of questions need answering.

Callistemon Fri 22-Oct-21 20:26:40

a lot of questions need answering.
They certainly do.

He must be feeling dreadful but it needs to be investigated thoroughly.
Everything needs to be taken into consideration and being a star should not cloud the issues.

Yes, I tried to post a downloaded photo today - no luck, sodapop.

Deedaa Fri 22-Oct-21 23:43:34

Apparently the projectile passed through the photographer and hit the director.

It is being said that some of the crew walked off set a few days ago because of issues with the guns and they were replaced with non union staff.

DH used to lend his guns to local Drama groups (in the days when we were allowed to have them) I think he had it specified on his firearms certificate. They were always loaded with blanks, always carefully checked before use and the actors were always well prepared before they used them.

There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions at the moment.

hollysteers Sat 23-Oct-21 00:05:15

Just seems to add to the trigger happy American way of life to me. Known for their clumsiness in war, here we go again…

Chewbacca Sat 23-Oct-21 00:18:46

Good grief..... shock

BlueBelle Sat 23-Oct-21 05:44:25

My main question would be why was a photographer shot ? why was the gun aimed at her?
I could have understood better if the gun was trained on an actor who was in the plot to be shot! but why would a gun be discharged at a person with nothing to do with the acting in the scene???

I am very anti gun and cannot bear the American way of seeming so blasé about these dreadful things I know everyone seems to own them ‘for their own safety’ which, I believe, makes them far less safe

Alizarin Sat 23-Oct-21 06:28:12

Perhaps the cinematographer was filming at that time and the scene required AB to aim at the camera, i.e. as if at the audience.

Juliet27 Sat 23-Oct-21 06:51:14

Interesting read on BBC news about how disgruntled the filming crew were before filming that day. Many had walked out because of the working conditions.

Juliet27 Sat 23-Oct-21 06:53:20

Sorry Deedaa, just seen your comment regarding the crew.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Oct-21 09:10:12

Well maybe he had to point at the camera Altzarin but he obviously missed
It s a dreadful tragedy and if it was an accident he ll live with that for ever and a husband children parents have lost their loved one
Has it said if the film director is badly injured or only slight I would presume if it had gone through one person it would not be travelling so fast to badly injure the other but what do I know

I still blame entirely the use of real guns on a set blanks or not

Alegrias1 Sat 23-Oct-21 09:16:22

There's no "obviously" about anything.

None of us were there, none of us know what happened. Baldwin is clearly devastated by the whole thing, as are the cinematographer's family and the rest of the crew.

Have some respect.

Razzy Sat 23-Oct-21 10:57:05

Reading the news today, I think there is more to this story. The unionised crew had walked out over poor working conditions, a few hours before, and the film company had brought in some non-unionised workers at short notice. I understand that live bullets are banned from all film sets to avoid inadvertent use. Also that if anyone is pointing a prop gun directly at a camera then there should have been lots of safeguards, including a perspex screen between gun and camera. It would appear none of this was in place. I think there is more to come out.