Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alec Baldwin - guns

(112 Posts)
Zoejory Fri 22-Oct-21 08:20:22

Alec Baldwin has shot and killed a member of the film crew, cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, on a film set. Another person was injured.

Why on earth do films still use guns with lethal ammunition? I thought this had been stopped years ago. With all the special effects and amazing skill, surely a totally harmless gun can be used.

Heartbreaking for all concerned

Kerenhappuch Mon 25-Oct-21 08:06:34

From what I’ve read, guns containing blanks aren’t necessarily safe to point at people. It was pointed at the camera because the camera shot they wanted was of his character aiming the gun. People were behind the camera checking the angles and the picture. I had no idea film sets were so dangerous sad

effalump Mon 25-Oct-21 17:34:23

It wasn't a prop gun, it was real. The ammo was supposed to blanks. There was a prop technician interviewed on radio and he said that the gun should have been checked at least three times before it was used. A lot of people seem to be putting total blame on Alec Baldwin but it was also said that a lot of the crew on that film had walked out and were replaced. I watched a dvd the other night where someone used a gun. In the 'extras' bit on the dvd it was showing you how the gun was put in with cgi. It's a bit like when they use a green screen to super-impose scenery onto the film. It'll probably end up with a low that bans real guns on set.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Oct-21 17:36:36

* It'll probably end up with a law that bans real guns on set*

Not before time I d say

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 17:40:56

I don't even know who Alec Baldwin is.

Sago Mon 25-Oct-21 17:52:27

As a family we have all shot, my husband has made sure a professional taught our children once we felt they were old enough to handle a gun.

The first and golden rule is never to point the gun at a person, it is instilled into you!

The second rule is that all guns must be “ broken” and emptied of ammunition when you are walking with a gun.

Deedaa Mon 25-Oct-21 23:48:14

Yesterday a lot was being made of the armourer being only a "young" woman (22). I've known teenagers who would be perfectly capable of dealing with guns safely and making sure they weren't loaded with live rounds. Youth isn't necessarily bad. What they need to know is what the gun WAS loaded with. Hopefully something will have been found when they treated the director, or failing that at the site of the accident.

25Avalon Tue 26-Oct-21 09:37:16

Apparently AB was pretending to be a gunslinger and practising his quick draw. The little boy in him. A rude tragic wakening to make him grow up.

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 09:47:00

Were you there 25Avalon? Did you see him? Perhaps you can tell us more?

tickingbird Tue 26-Oct-21 09:47:29

Behaving like a little boy?? He’s making a western and obviously having to draw his gun, therefore practising.

Some of the comments on this thread are ridiculous.

25Avalon Tue 26-Oct-21 10:45:07

Alegrias I said apparently, not that it was gospel truth. Do we have to be present at every single event to comment? If so there won’t be much left on GN.

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:50:50

I think this thread could be used in future as an example of how gossip and conspiracy theories start and spread on the internet.

Putting the word "apparently" doesn't absolve you of any responsibility for gossip and insinuation that you then follow it up with. Putting the word "apparently" in front of any made up gossip you got from unreliable sources isn't an excuse.

This is not speculation about what colour hat the Queen likes best, this is insinuation about the character of a public figure and whether he is solely responsible for the death of a colleague. At least there does seem to be a large enough group on here that understands that spreading unfounded rumours is not acceptable.