Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Princes and the Press

(93 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 22-Nov-21 17:51:15

Tonight on BBC2. William and Harry’s relationship with the press. Two episodes, tonight’s starts with the Diamond Jubilee and ends with Harry’s wedding.

Episode 2 might be more interesting, after the ‘split’.

lemsip Mon 22-Nov-21 20:03:57

I shall be watching this,

lemsip Tue 23-Nov-21 09:17:46

surprised nobody watched this. It was all I had read in the book about william and Harry

Josianne Tue 23-Nov-21 11:41:36

I watched it lemsip.

There wasn't much new that we didn't already know, or at least suspect. But the reporting angle was very interesting.

I didn't like the presenter. I think he has his own agenda.
Omid Scobie went up in my estimation. He was articulate, collected and I felt genuine.
Harry's anger was painful to watch. It will destroy him if he allows it to continue.

Calendargirl Tue 23-Nov-21 12:45:33

I was tired and nodded off, will re-watch it.

MerylStreep Tue 23-Nov-21 12:56:22

I think a couple of people might now have a different opinion of Meghan as this program was made 2 years ago.
Namely her solicitor and Omid Scobi. They both now know that she lied.

Curlywhirly Tue 23-Nov-21 13:15:37

I watched it. Can't believe they trundled out Meghan's Solicitor at the end - she's been employed by Meghan to DEFEND her, how could she possibly give an unbiased answer to the question: is Meghan a bully? She's hardly going to say, "well actually, even though I'm her solicitor and paid to defend her, I think she's telling lies and is definitely a bully!" She was obviously included in the programme, to appease the Sussexes, but I am sure most people watching could see it for the stunt it was.

Josianne Tue 23-Nov-21 13:25:49

Surely the more these kind of programmes are aired, the less likely the rift will be healed.

Anniebach Tue 23-Nov-21 17:04:43

A private detective employed by a newspaper, checking someone’s medical records !

It certainly was in the Megan and Harry camp.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 23-Nov-21 18:24:37

Anniebach

A private detective employed by a newspaper, checking someone’s medical records !

Oh I didn’t get that impression.

I thought that the presenter was trying to give an unbiased view if the subject.

Madmother21 Wed 24-Nov-21 10:44:48

I think that the most concerning thing to learn is the absolute power the press have. They can make or break a person, a company, an organisation…just as they want. We only know what and when they decide we should know it.

Anniebach Wed 24-Nov-21 10:48:44

The chap presenting it wrote the following -

But in a 2012 column, he criticised the way the media portrayed the royals and voiced his dislike for the 'absurd' monarchy.

He wrote: 'When it comes to our absurd monarchy, journalists are so bamboozled by aristocratic wealth that they can only portray a confected picture to their audience.

'"Mrs Wales – spare us from the 'Duchess of Cambridge" – is a beautiful lady, and does noble work. But like the rest of us she is prone to bad moods and bad breath, and doesn't look her best on a hangover.

'You wouldn't know that from media coverage of her. What you get is an idol, not a person.

theworriedwell Wed 24-Nov-21 10:54:15

Whitewavemark2

Anniebach

Oh I didn’t get that impression.

I thought that the presenter was trying to give an unbiased view if the subject.

I thought it was. Having Omid Scobie, also known as Meghan's mouthpiece, and Meghan's lawyer on spoilt the balance. The lawyer saying very definitely that Meghan didn't bully anyone, how does she know? Obviously Meghan will have told her she didn't whether she did or not so unless she has interviewed the people complaining of bullying she is very one sided.

theworriedwell Wed 24-Nov-21 10:56:25

Madmother21

I think that the most concerning thing to learn is the absolute power the press have. They can make or break a person, a company, an organisation…just as they want. We only know what and when they decide we should know it.

I agree, a programme about the power of the press and abuse by the press would be a much more interesting and relevant programme.

I don't suppose any reporter would want to do that one, bit like turkeys voting for Christmas.

cc Wed 24-Nov-21 11:21:10

MerylStreep

I think a couple of people might now have a different opinion of Meghan as this program was made 2 years ago.
Namely her solicitor and Omid Scobi. They both now know that she lied.

I agree with this. She is an actress and able to present the face she wants, true or false. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that Harry is out on a limb, cut off from his loving family and with no career or public service role in prospect. This is not a future I would wish on anyone - it makes me think of the aimless life led by the Duke of Windsor.
I hope his family will be able to take him back into the fold when he wants to return, but doubt they would be able to trust his wife again. So sad for the whole family.
I should add that I am not a royalist, but don't like to see people manipulated in the way that he has been.

Gabrielle56 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:56:48

Didn't watch. Why do they all think it's worth making a prog like this anyway? Don't they realise in their me me me bubbles that normal people have real lives to lead and real issues to address? The BBC is fast becoming a white elephant in my view anyway, it's biased, dishonest and the only bit worth saving is the world service news for those worldwide who need the truth, but that side of the business is automonous thankfully. And the presenter? What a chav! Overpaid judging by the crude bling he's plastered with!!!

katy1950 Wed 24-Nov-21 13:48:36

I'm really bored with it ,they live in a different world than us and have no real conception of the daily drudge most of us have to go through. Harry can't get over his mother's death but really we all lose someone we love he not unique but we get on with life cos we have to, no silver spoons for us

eazybee Wed 24-Nov-21 13:57:28

No, but equally we don't have to live our lives in the glare of publicity, unprecedented in the life of any royal family previously, with every action reported, speculated on and interpreted to serve (some people's) own ends.

joysutty Wed 24-Nov-21 16:59:34

Fed-up with it all as its getting boring now, as dont know why we cant hear from normal people who have done and helped others in this panademic. They are wealthy in their own right and going for offers for disney or whatever on the Ellen interviews abroad, all for more media attention, as surely there is more important things going on in the world right now, families living on the bread line on low wages/with no jobs. As I have a friend who lives in same village/town as Megans mother who I am told is a lovely lady, and feel at times for Megans father who hasn't seen his own grandchildren for whatever reason of their fall-out. An actress who may still be behaving as an "actress". A person that our younger children/girls may also look up them.

GraceQuirrel Wed 24-Nov-21 18:06:10

Josianne

I watched it lemsip.

There wasn't much new that we didn't already know, or at least suspect. But the reporting angle was very interesting.

I didn't like the presenter. I think he has his own agenda.
Omid Scobie went up in my estimation. He was articulate, collected and I felt genuine.
Harry's anger was painful to watch. It will destroy him if he allows it to continue.

Omid Scobie is a nasty piece of work and on the payroll of Meghan ‘I Am A Duchess’ Markle. He has lied about many things in support of her and her husband and likes nothing better than to slate our queen.

maddyone Wed 24-Nov-21 18:07:28

I didn’t watch it either. I’ve just seen on the BBC news that William and Kate want ITV to show their Christmas Carol Concert following the documentary last night. It has been reported that Buckingham Palace wanted to see the documentary before it was aired, but the BBC refused.

Anniebach Wed 24-Nov-21 18:16:20

Considering the dirty dealings carried out for the Diana Panorama interview, poor William

Jabberwok Wed 24-Nov-21 18:34:49

I agree Annie, the clip of him speaking this evening confirmed how much the Bashir interview had upset him. If someone had done that to my mother I would have been more than upset.

Anniebach Wed 24-Nov-21 18:47:24

Little wonder they wanted to see the documentary before it was aired.

Forsythia Wed 24-Nov-21 18:55:56

You have to ask yourselves who benefits from this programme and its bias? I think it’s pretty obvious with Meghans lawyer and Omid Scobie on it.