Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bonanza

(64 Posts)
notnecessarilywiser Thu 02-Dec-21 06:55:45

Only yesterday I was musing about the demise of the Western in TV fare, and remembering how I loved watching Bonanza as a youngster. This morning, an email from IMDb revealed that Series 1 is now available on Amazon Prime - I'm so looking forward to watching Ben, Joe, Adam and Hoss in action again!

BigBertha1 Thu 02-Dec-21 07:00:47

Poor Little Jo all his girlfriends died.

tanith Thu 02-Dec-21 07:24:18

Don’t have prime sadly .

LucySnowe Thu 02-Dec-21 07:24:21

We loved Bonanza as kids, the opening credits with the map burning! I was in love with Michael Landon.

Greyduster Thu 02-Dec-21 07:55:07

Blast! Now I’ll have the theme tune for an ear worm all day!?

MerylStreep Thu 02-Dec-21 08:04:52

Tanith

ayse Thu 02-Dec-21 08:06:11

MerylStreep

Tanith

Did this with Now TV to watch Game of Thrones.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Dec-21 08:50:56

I’m doing that at the moment. Though I didn’t actually intend to sign up for the free trial - Amazon just kept offering it in different ways at check out till I said yes instead of no. It must be the fourth free trial I’ve had, though I’ve just used it for deliveries before.

We watched Parasite yesterday, and have Joker scheduled for today.

tanith Thu 02-Dec-21 09:33:22

Thanks I might do that over Christmas and hope I don’t forget to cancel.

25Avalon Thu 02-Dec-21 09:49:43

I remember pleading every Saturday to watch Bonanza and not Dixon of Dock Green, Dad’s favourite on BBC. I have some of the DVD’s they remodelled.

Kate1949 Thu 02-Dec-21 09:59:44

I loved Bonanza and all those westerns. Cheyenne, Wagon Train, Sugarfoot, Bronco to name a few.

notnecessarilywiser Thu 02-Dec-21 10:08:56

Westerns were great then, weren't they (with the exception of the depiction of indigenous people as mostly savages)? The saloon scenes, with the stranger from out of town bursting through the swingy doors, the piano player suddenly silent and many a local reaching for his six shooter ...

25Avalon Thu 02-Dec-21 10:11:09

I can still sing the songs for Bronco, Cheyenne and Rawhide. Everyone at school loved Rawhide’s Rowdy Yates but my favourite was Gil Favor.

BigBertha1 Thu 02-Dec-21 10:20:36

My parents liked High Chapparel. I hated all westerns still do. except I suppose Blazing Saddles.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Dec-21 10:37:37

I always loved a Western, on television or at the pictures, but they were especially exciting at the Saturday children’s matinee. The big lads would lob missiles from the front to the back whenever the arrows or bullets flew, over the heads of us littlies sitting open-mouthed in the centre stalls in the charge of the big girls. The noise was deafening.

I don’t remember ever seeing an usher/ette - they were probably hiding in the foyer.

Redhead56 Thu 02-Dec-21 10:41:49

I watched Bonanza and many other westerns growing up. I also watched Gunsmoke and I loved the characters in it. Another favourite tv show was The Fugitive watched over again on YouTube I loved David Harold Meyer (David Janssen) when I was young.

Kate1949 Thu 02-Dec-21 10:42:32

Me too Avalon I still remember the songs and who could forget Robert Horton and Will Hutchins (Hutchings?).

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Dec-21 10:44:15

I actually think my DGSs would love Westerns, if they made some new family-friendly ones.

Redhead56 Thu 02-Dec-21 10:44:42

We also went to Saturday cinema at what was then Woolton picture house there were ushers selling ice cream but we couldn’t afford it.

MerylStreep Thu 02-Dec-21 10:52:11

Tanith
You cancel as soon as you’ve signed up. Then you can’t forget.
You will still receive the free month.

Kalu Thu 02-Dec-21 11:06:05

BigBertha1

My parents liked High Chapparel. I hated all westerns still do. except I suppose Blazing Saddles.

Blazing saddles is a classic! - the campfire scene ??

Was it Frankie Lane who sang the Rawhide theme tune, rolling’,rolling’, rolling’, keep them doggies rolling’?
Interchanging earworms of Bonanza and Rawhide with visions of Rowdy Yates. ?

GrandmasueUK Thu 02-Dec-21 13:25:41

I used to love all the Saturday westerns like High Chaparral, Alias Smith and Jones, The Virginian, Bonanza, The Munroes and Lancer. I used to watch them with my dad, sometimes we'd share a plate of tripe cut into squares with salt and vinegar. I was a weird child! grin

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Dec-21 13:31:44

LucySnowe

We loved Bonanza as kids, the opening credits with the map burning! I was in love with Michael Landon.

Me too!!!

MiniMoon Thu 02-Dec-21 15:31:22

I never missed Bonanza as a child. I looked forward to The Virginian too.
Just last Saturday grandson 1 and I were enjoying The Beverly Hillbillies on Amazon Prime.

Anniebach Thu 02-Dec-21 15:46:55

I was in love with James Drury - The Virginian