Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Tourist

(222 Posts)
Santana Sun 02-Jan-22 09:41:59

Not giving anything away if I say the main character gets amnesia after a car accident in the Australian outback. We don't know his name either.
Just wondered if anyone else thought his accent changes from Scottish to Northern Irish? Maybe just bad acting.

kircubbin2000 Sun 02-Jan-22 16:05:25

He's from Holywood near Belfast. As someone on another thread said it's surprising a random passer by hasn't recognised him as someone's cousin from Belfast who went to school with their neighbour.

Bossyrossy Sun 02-Jan-22 16:05:48

Jamie Dornan was excellent in The Fall and has been nominated for several important awards. I love his Northern Irish accent. Lots of plot teasers in the first episode and I am looking forward to see how they pan out.

Shelbel Sun 02-Jan-22 16:14:32

We enjoyed it a lot but ff through again trying to take notice of certain events. There was a lot going on.

Shandy57 Sun 02-Jan-22 16:58:21

Ah yes Jaxjacky, thank you! Duel! Good old Dennis Weaver, sorry I'd superimposed Charlton onto his face smile

Calendargirl Sun 02-Jan-22 22:01:28

It reminded me of Twin Peaks somehow.

Teacheranne Sun 02-Jan-22 23:21:08

I am a bit confused with what I have seen so far. I’ve watched all of episode 1 and part of two - up to the phone call from the man in the box underground. To me, he looks the same as James Dorian or was I not watching closely enough? Also is the girl who deleted the photos also the waitress in the cafe where the bomb went off?

I think I need to start watching it again! So far, I know that I need to look out at what shoes the men are wearing to spot the bad guy!

LadyGracie Sun 02-Jan-22 23:39:24

I found it a tad confusing, but I'll persevere.

annodomini Sun 02-Jan-22 23:42:29

Silverlining48 I am always interested in different accents and was struggling to decide the tourist’s accent. Concluded Irish with a touch of Scottish but still not 100%
Northern Irish and some Scottish accents aren't too far removed from one another. When I answered the phone in my DS's house, his Northern Irish MiL thought I was her daughter. Many of our idioms are the same. The Protestant Northern Irish were originally Scots and English brought over to Ulster in the 17th Century as settlers to match the largely Catholic population. Lots of them have Scottish names.
Having said all that, I had no doubt at all that the Dorian's accent was Northern Irish.

Calendargirl Mon 03-Jan-22 07:42:35

Yes Teacheranne the waitress is the same girl who deleted the photos.

He has no money, but the kind police officer gave him some, which paid for his B&B place, should have been $30 but she kindly reduced it to $20 as that was all he had. Who has paid for the helicopter ride, and the new shovels? And these 4 hour car journeys must be using a lot of fuel. He is fortunate that so many people are willing to help him.

Sloegin Mon 03-Jan-22 08:59:03

silverlining48

I am always interested in different accents and was struggling to decide the tourist’s accent. Concluded Irish with a touch of Scottish but still not 100% . Expect he’s American and doing a Dick van Dyke grin

He's from N.ireland, brought up in Belfast where his father, Professor Jim Dornan was an eminent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist.

silverlining48 Mon 03-Jan-22 09:17:45

Thanks for accent information happy I was so close, enjoyed last nights episode and look forward to the next,

Blinko Mon 03-Jan-22 09:29:16

We're enjoying this programme, trying not to binge watch as it's currently the only remotely decent viewing on Saturday evenings. Looking good so far!

Sparklefizz Mon 03-Jan-22 10:19:00

Calendargirl

It reminded me of Twin Peaks somehow.

Me too.

Calistemon Mon 03-Jan-22 10:40:45

silverlining48

Calistemon definitely Wouldn’t fancy the outback as s holiday destination, it looked grim. No offence to ozzies but ..,.not on my go to list,

No, I love it but there are definitely a few odd characters around - it's a good place to avoid the law!!

JaneJudge Mon 03-Jan-22 10:43:36

We started watching this last night, it reminds me of the end of the F**king world a bit - with the styling. I thought the cafe was amazing grin

I already hate the woman's fat fiance

JaneJudge Mon 03-Jan-22 10:45:09

To me, he looks the same as James Dorian or was I not watching closely enough

I thought the same (it isn't) I wish they wouldn't use people who look like one another as it is often too much for my small brain to cope with

Calistemon Mon 03-Jan-22 10:45:39

Alegrias1

South Australia is spectacularly attractive. I've lived there. They've obviously chosen a bit of the outback that is a bit "grim" because the story is not exactly a laugh a minute.

We actually recognised the outline of the hills as the Flinders ranges because we have an image of them hanging above our fireplace from when we visited there.

Do consider "crossing the middle bit" if you ever go there. We did, in a camper van. It's breath-taking.

I did wonder where it was as it wasn't somewhere I recognised - although that's not surprising as it would take a year or more to get around.

Was the outback town on the coast as the sea was visible in one shot? The hospital was certainly modern and even had a scanner!

JaneJudge Mon 03-Jan-22 10:49:23

This is an article of the locations smile

The shot with the sea in was Port Augusta

Teacheranne Mon 03-Jan-22 10:58:03

JaneJudge

^To me, he looks the same as James Dorian or was I not watching closely enough^

I thought the same (it isn't) I wish they wouldn't use people who look like one another as it is often too much for my small brain to cope with

I was even thinking it was his twin brother!

I’ll finish episode 2 today and try to watch more carefully, might have to put my crochet down!

JaneJudge Mon 03-Jan-22 10:59:29

Yeah, I might need to drink less wine grin

Rowsie Mon 03-Jan-22 11:09:00

I really like this. He is Irish and I think his accent is fairly consistent. I have been to Australia numerous times and love the Outback but it really is quite scary sometimes. You would not want your car to break down as it is very hot and usually miles to the nearest town. A friend and I drove through the outback and the only place we could find to stay one time was a motel (actually only 2 rooms) attached to a petrol station. Our dinner was a pizza that they microwaved for us in the petrol station and we ate that outside, by the pumps, watching the huge trucks pulling in to fill up!

JaneJudge Mon 03-Jan-22 11:17:00

I hope the toilet was cleaner Rowsie smile

seadragon Mon 03-Jan-22 11:29:13

On the subject of the main character's accent, I remember first seeing Sean Connery in one of the Bond films. I couldn't place his accent either...and I am Scottish.

Graygirl Mon 03-Jan-22 11:30:48

Binge watched, don't know why . We had great fun guessing next plot twist . On the whole perfect chill out choice eating mint match makers in PJs

Hildagard Mon 03-Jan-22 11:36:16

We’ve watched three out of six episodes! Probably do the other three tonight! Won’t tell!,