Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Monty Don's Adriatic Gardens

(49 Posts)
Kate1949 Fri 07-Jan-22 22:23:48

Did anyone watch the first one of this series tonight? Wow. What a beautiful programme. The gardens of Venice this week. We're fortunate enough to have been to Venice a few times and had no idea it had such stunning gardens or any gardens at all really. Fabulous.

Sparklefizz Sun 09-Jan-22 06:32:36

Kate1949 Thank you so much for mentioning this programme which I'd overlooked - really loved it. Went to Venice many years ago and it was great to see it again, but also to see the gardens which I had no idea were there.

Aveline Sun 09-Jan-22 07:20:18

I don't know if anyone might be interested but I loved a book I read last year called, 'Illyrian Spring' by Anne Bridge. It's an old book written in the 30s I think. It starts in Venice and the lead character travels down the Adriatic. There were wonderful descriptions of the countryside and villages. The main character is a middle aged woman who is 'escaping' her family for various reasons. I don't want to give away the plot. It's story that's lingered in my mind principly due to the location. Very evocative. I hope Monty visits these places.

Lucca Sun 09-Jan-22 07:36:55

Thanks Aveline, I’ll look for that

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Jan-22 07:48:47

I liked and learned the description of what many Italian gardens are about. That they are about the grand show, and not about individual plants as we find in a U.K. garden.

I think I shall adopt that attitude ?

Sparklefizz Sun 09-Jan-22 08:43:19

I was amazed that the garden that had been flooded with over a metre of salt water only 2 years ago was now looking so good.

eazybee Sun 09-Jan-22 09:41:50

This programme is showing as I write; I have just turned over to it after watching Sophie Rayworth interrogating someone about NHS insistence on all staff being vaccinated against covid by April, and asking the same question five times, to produce a quote to be used in all subsequent News bulletins today.
Monty Don does so much more for the nation's peace of mind, I feel.

Kate1949 Sun 09-Jan-22 10:18:04

Sparklefizz As I said, we've been four times I think and had no idea about the gardens or that Venice was so big. Hopefully we'll get back there. It's my favourite place.

Nannee49 Sun 09-Jan-22 10:23:00

Lovely Venice kate49! I went there on my honeymoon in '71 - working class girl, never been 'abroad' - the first view of the Grand Canal was utterly breathtaking, nothing short of magical, and started a lifelong Italy obsession with me too.
Monty really captured the cool green calm of the rare oases away from the baking streets.
And yes Gill, he styles it out superbly - love a man who can wear a scarf with panache.

Sparklefizz Sun 09-Jan-22 10:32:06

Kate1949

Sparklefizz As I said, we've been four times I think and had no idea about the gardens or that Venice was so big. Hopefully we'll get back there. It's my favourite place.

I also didn't realise that Venice covered so many islands. I think this will be a lovely series.

Kate1949 Sun 09-Jan-22 10:40:27

I agree Sparklefizz.

GillT57 Sun 09-Jan-22 13:27:08

sipping my Friday night G&T which I’d been looking forward to all week having decided to do Moist January

Thank you Merlotgran, that is just the phrase I need as I am finding the puritanical approach of Dry January a bit challenging, January is bad enough without depriving myself. It's funny, we always enjoyed that G&T to mark the end of the working week and kept it on after stopping work. My parents used to do it too, just the one drink. Wouldn't it be nice to be sipping said G&T winein a lovely garden with Monty after someone else had done all the gardening, admiring the plants, enjoying the late afternoon scents flowers

Marmite32 Sat 15-Jan-22 20:27:34

I've just watched the 2nd episode of this series and found it fascinating.
How nations' attitudes to their land and gatrdens are influenced by their history. eg this week the wars in Croatia and the occupation of communism.
Reminded me so much of the use of land here for growing food during and after WW2. The spread of the allotment system which continues.
I'm personally more interested in growing fruit and veg. than flowers. Though I like a few pots of flowers.

seacliff Sat 15-Jan-22 23:19:39

Aveline... thanks, that book sounds so interesting. Not available at my online library, so will get it elsewhere.

Aveline Sun 16-Jan-22 07:03:21

I loved episode 2. So interesting and perfect relaxing viewing. That book came back to me time and again while watching. The wild flower meadows and irises reminded me.

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Jan-22 09:12:37

Episode 2 was even better than episode 1, I thought. This is a lovely series and just what we need to relax.

lavendermine Sun 16-Jan-22 10:09:50

Just watched Episode 2 in Croatia, what a wonderful programme and so interesting.

Kate1949 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:14:14

It was lovely. I preferred episode 1 as I am besotted with Venice.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Jan-22 15:13:15

Monty Don
@TheMontyDon
·
55m
Although there is a debate to be had over the extent and duration of the licence fee, the government freeze will save payers the grand sum of 15 pence per week over the coming year. However it will mean that programmes like Adriatic Gardens will be much less likely to be made.

merlotgran Fri 21-Jan-22 13:56:54

Just a heads up....Monty is on an hour earlier this evening at 7pm.

Kate1949 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:24:18

Thanks merlot.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:53:38

Thank you merlot!
Just caught it (I was washing up!).

I shall try that tip with my scraggly lavender

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:54:02

So lovely!

Wish we were there

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:56:35

Straggly