Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Digging for Britain

(37 Posts)
Coastpath Mon 10-Jan-22 09:38:52

I've found this show fascinating and can really recommend it. Some exciting finds, interesting characters and lots of history from some amazing archeological digs.

I always enjoy Alice Robert's shows.

Kali2 Thu 13-Jan-22 12:02:03

Yes, the great views from the bridge from car park to JL.

J52 Thu 13-Jan-22 09:05:22

I agree a fascinating programme. I also live in the vicinity of Rutland Water, but was equally interested in the bit about the early Roman settlement in Leicester.
If I’m right the site was opposite John Lewis and could be seen from their cafe. What a pity it’s now built over.
We have an Archaeologist as a close family member, she always full of interesting information.

ayse Thu 13-Jan-22 08:52:41

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t remember Alice Roberts being on TT. You’re not confusing her with Carenza Lewis?

No definitely not. I’ve watched TT many times and saw her in the background as one of the many just excavating. She just stood out because of her hair colouring. I was initially surprised when I saw her presenting the history of the human race. I can’t remember the name of the programme though.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 13-Jan-22 08:46:57

I don’t remember Alice Roberts being on TT. You’re not confusing her with Carenza Lewis?

ayse Thu 13-Jan-22 08:15:39

Does anyone remember seeing Alice Roberts on Time Team digs before she became famous? I still watch TT now and again as it was one of my favourites.

DFB is interesting but I wish there was more depth to the programme. Alice Roberts is a great presenter.

Kali2 Wed 12-Jan-22 20:00:01

Found it totally fascinating - we moved to Leicestershire just as Rutland Water Reservoir was being filled- and spent so much time windsurfing there over the years, walking an cycling, and watching the ospreys. And then of course the City Centre Roman dig, right next to the new Shires shopping centre.

Coastpath Wed 12-Jan-22 19:54:00

I always picture wonderful Phil Harding happily living in a hobbit house surrounded by a collection of flints.

Allsorts Wed 12-Jan-22 19:32:19

Loved it.

M0nica Wed 12-Jan-22 19:27:46

GSM if you think that then your really do not understand archaeology and archaeologists (my son is one).

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 19:02:05

Me too even though every time I longed for Phil to get a haircut and acquaint himself with a razor!

TiggyW Wed 12-Jan-22 18:53:22

I agree that ‘Digging for Britain’ is an excellent programme, but I do miss Phil Harding and Tony Robinson on ‘Time Team’…?

Hetty58 Wed 12-Jan-22 18:42:03

I really enjoy these programmes and like Alice Roberts, just wish there was more archaeology on TV.

Witzend Wed 12-Jan-22 18:35:30

Must say I was disappointed in that programme - I had thought there’d be much more about the ichthyosaur. (Sp?).

Caleo Wed 12-Jan-22 13:02:20

I live in the English Midlands, and tried to imagine my house site under sea water. I wonder if there is a map that shows the extent of the sea as compared with higher land in what was the island of Britain.

Caleo Wed 12-Jan-22 13:00:07

I tried to imagine that ichthyosaur's length as compared with the total length of my house and garden . Not a beast I'd want to cuddle!

TillyTrotter Wed 12-Jan-22 10:12:22

MiniMoon ……. www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/2022/01/plans-for-newly-discovered-sea-dragon-to-be-displayed-in-rutland/#

MiniMoon Wed 12-Jan-22 10:01:25

There is so much to learn from the earth beneath our feet. Light is now being shed upon the Dark Ages.
I am so lucky to live 2 miles from Hadrians wall. It has its 1900th anniversary this year, and all sorts of activities and events are being planned along the length of the wall.
The ichthiosaur was indeed huge, does anyone know when and where it will be displayed after cleaning and examining?

TillyTrotter Wed 12-Jan-22 08:06:34

That ichthyosaur was unbelievable! To see the film shots from the air showed just how large it was.

Brilliant programme, absorbing and informative from start to end. Recommend it to anyone who has not yet tuned in.

M0nica Wed 12-Jan-22 08:00:54

Over 10 metres they reckoned!

MayBeMaw Tue 11-Jan-22 23:10:35

That Ichthyosaur must have been huuuuuuuuuuge!

lemongrove Tue 11-Jan-22 22:56:07

I love this series.I think Alice Roberts brings a freshness and enthusiasm to history.
The Rutland Water ‘find’ is amazing.

M0nica Tue 11-Jan-22 22:40:01

I have one niggle with Digging for Britain, it is the seemingly interminable introduction. It is exactly the same introduction at the start of each programme and seems to last at least 5 minutes, if not longer.

Casdon Mon 10-Jan-22 17:56:49

I love Digginf for Britain, and it’s all happening in Rutland, the Roman villa find in the crop field was also in Rutland, and that was the ‘find of the year’ for archaeologists in the UK.

Kali2 Mon 10-Jan-22 16:46:43

Can't wait for the BBC2 documentary tomorrow evening about the Rutland dinosaur.

Coastpath Mon 10-Jan-22 16:44:13

A few years ago I was in our chip shop in Bristol and a girl leant her bike against the window and came in to buy some chips.

We started talking and she was absolutely lovely - it was Alice Roberts!!! Just as smiley, friendly and chatty in real life as on telly.