Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our House - Drama alert! Adapted from the Louise Candlish book ITV drama starting tomorrow 7th March

(123 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 06-Mar-22 12:35:19

Fans of Louise Candlish, I'm one, may be interested to know that her novel "Our House" has been dramatised and starts tomorrow at 9pm. Starring Martin Compston and Tuppence Middleton.

I hope the programme will be as good as the book. For anyone who hasn't read it, the premise, inspired by a real case, is when a couple find that their house, they have bought, lived in and lovingly restored, has been sold behind their backs in a sophisticated scam.

Delila Sat 12-Mar-22 11:21:00

Yes, Grandma2213, that would have been a neat ending but wouldn’t have involved the helpful neighbour. For some reason she was there in a big clunky way, which leaves a lot of loose ends.

Sparklefizz Sat 12-Mar-22 08:44:36

Rupert Penry-Jones could play absolutely anything for me - blush I loved him in Spooks.

Millie22 Sat 12-Mar-22 08:29:27

Yes Granma I like your thinking.

He wouldn't have drunk that wine without noticing a very distinctive taste. Even one tablet would be yuk.

Doodledog Sat 12-Mar-22 08:05:32

You could have a future as a master criminal, Grandma grin

Grandma2213 Sat 12-Mar-22 02:55:41

I was trying to think of a better story for the police because that was rubbish. If it was me I would have said I was going to commit suicide because I'd lost everything so crushed the tablets in the wine. Toby/Mike came in and started attacking me about the lost money admitting that he was part of it. I lock myself in the bathroom and he must have angrily drunk the wine while I was in there. There will be evidence of him banging on the door. Then ring the police and tell almost the truth. Get rid of the burner phone because I rang him on it to get him there. Job done!

GrandmasueUK Sat 12-Mar-22 00:06:44

In the interview with the police didn’t Fi say that she had gone to the flat because she had no home to go to? Then they dropped her at her neighbour’s house when they took her home!

Callistemon21 Fri 11-Mar-22 23:42:31

He swigged it back like lemonade too. And another.

I thought Toby was more discerning than that!
Oh - he was Mike by then, wasn't he? No Manners Mike

merlotgran Fri 11-Mar-22 23:38:50

Who was looking after the boys when Merle went to the flat and I've drunk some shit wine in my time but I think I'd notice if about 50 crushed up sleeping tablets/anti depressants were lurking in there?

BigBertha1 Fri 11-Mar-22 22:12:43

Why didn't she have a policeman standing by in the flat with her when she lured Mike there. Would have saved her murdering bim

Callistemon21 Fri 11-Mar-22 20:07:13

TBH, I never thought Bram and Fi looked any sort of a pair. I don’t think he would have been her type. And he obviously wasn’t to be trusted.

Perhaps it might have worked if Rupert Penry-Jones had played the husband and someone like Richard Armitage played the charming baddie.

I do like Martin Compston though, wonderful in Line of Duty..

Delila Fri 11-Mar-22 20:02:08

Yes, Calendergirl, I think we could...

Calendargirl Fri 11-Mar-22 19:42:27

Did the neighbour really have a husband? She kept referring to ‘Adrian’, but he never seemed to be around. Was he always away on business or something, and she was lonely, which is why she threw herself at Bram?

TBH, I never thought Bram and Fi looked any sort of a pair. I don’t think he would have been her type. And he obviously wasn’t to be trusted.

I think we on GN could write a sequel to all this.

Delila Fri 11-Mar-22 19:11:40

And what would be the point of the pregnancy if it doesn’t result from her affair with Bram. It adds nothing to the plot.

Another alternative. The baby is Bram’s, but Bram isn’t involved in a conspiracy with the neighbour and she is the brains behind the whole scam.

Could that work?

Auntieflo Fri 11-Mar-22 19:04:34

Well, we binge watched and what a waste of time. I thought that both the leads were miscast, and all a load of twaddle.
You can tell we didn't like it! ?

Delila Fri 11-Mar-22 19:01:13

Perhaps the ending was undecided until the last minute, and there were two options?

I don’t understand why the neighbour played such a prominent part and thought it must be leading to something major in the final episode. In the end she was just a concerned, although unlikely, friend.

I wonder if the door has been left partially open for another series?

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Mar-22 18:58:18

I wondered if that was wishful thinking Sparklefizz. I don’t think I’d watch a second series if one turns up. I struggled to keep up with the story. My brain didn’t cope well with the flashbacks.

Callistemon21 Fri 11-Mar-22 18:53:25

She might have lied.

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Mar-22 18:52:14

Neighbour's baby is her husband's and not Bram's - she specifically said so.

Callistemon21 Fri 11-Mar-22 18:48:47

But I was wrong (apparently). Unless another series is planned.

Possibly not wrong and possibly another series.
Bram swims back to shore, meets neighbour and their baby and retrieves the money; then changes ID again.

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Mar-22 18:47:18

I thought the same Delila. I began to think she was implicated in the scam.

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Mar-22 18:47:11

Why did the pregnant friend so strongly emphasise that Fi should only ever refer to the dead man as Toby? This resulted in Bram incriminating his wife in his suicide message.

Because if Fi knew that he was Mike, then it gave her a motive for killing him.

JaneJudge Fri 11-Mar-22 18:44:49

MerylStreep

The scene where he was dead got me thinking: what would I do ?

go off butternut squash?

Delila Fri 11-Mar-22 18:43:47

Why did the pregnant friend so strongly emphasise that Fi should only ever refer to the dead man as Toby? This resulted in Bram incriminating his wife in his suicide message.

I though it was pointing to an arrangement between the pregnant neighbour & Bram to get Fi out of the picture, leaving them free to disappear together with the money.

But I was wrong (apparently). Unless another series is planned.

Callistemon21 Fri 11-Mar-22 18:43:01

Good idea!

???

MerylStreep Fri 11-Mar-22 18:35:53

Callistemon
I do know someone with a pig farm in darkest Essex ?
But who to ask for help with getting the body out. ?