Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Coronation Street- continued.

(1001 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 09-Nov-22 10:28:52

Yes, we all know it’s rubbish, but Corrie is an institution.

We need to have an active thread at all times.

📺📺📺📺📺📺📺📺

Kim19 Thu 26-Jan-23 04:33:11

It's unbelievable rubbish at the moment and yet I still watch. Old habits die hard. Sad.....

Calendargirl Thu 26-Jan-23 07:19:31

Kim19

It's unbelievable rubbish at the moment and yet I still watch. Old habits die hard. Sad.....

It’s because there isn’t much else on.

I watched an old ‘Lewis’ instead, and will catch up with Corrie later.

Even though I had seen it before, still more appealing than Corrie I’m afraid.

vegansrock Thu 26-Jan-23 07:35:42

Perhaps Stu was cooking in the kitchen at the drop in event. I’m surprised he wasn’t front of house though.

Rosina Thu 26-Jan-23 08:32:26

Head in hands again last night. How could Evelyn and Roy sit within yards of Tyrone, discussing his 'infidelity' loudly? Yes, another potential outing for the hospital bed/tube up the nose scene for Alisha this time. However, the chat about relationships between Evelyn and Roy in the cafe was classic - when he pulled his anorak zip up another three inches as a reaction to what might have been a proposition, it made the rest of the programme worthwhile.

sodapop Thu 26-Jan-23 08:50:44

The interaction between Roy & Evelyn was great I agree Rosina they are perfect foils for each other.

Doodledog Thu 26-Jan-23 17:19:11

Sorry to keep giving different info, but it is on tonight after all!

It will clash with The Apprentice, which is annoying, but that's what catch-up is for grin

lemsip Thu 26-Jan-23 19:23:27

yes, 9-10pm tonight

Calendargirl Thu 26-Jan-23 21:47:37

Well, Alya was at death’s door last night, but here she is with her punctured lung back home again.

So fed up with Max. “I wasn’t allowed back to school”.

And why was that, pray? For being such a troublemaker.

Doodledog Fri 27-Jan-23 00:24:46

He's a troubled young man, for sure.

I think that amongst the dross they are handling this story well. I was uneasy about it at first, but I think they are showing radicalisation and how it can impact people from 'normal' families.

I know that the Platts are about as far from normal as you can get, but in Soapland we are meant to forget about serial killers and conmen and bodies under patios as soon as the chapter is over grin. Basically they are portrayed as average, and on a day to day basis they are. I think the message is that if Max can be brainwashed, anyone can.

Clawdy Fri 27-Jan-23 08:54:09

The interrogation scene with Max was very good, his acting was brilliant. He has really developed as an actor.

Franbern Fri 27-Jan-23 09:06:03

Did love that brilliant moment with Roy, pulling up the zip on his anarok. As has been said, it is almost worth suffering the dross of the rest of the programme for that wonderful moment.

Yes, I do agree they are trying to show via Max how radicilasation takes place. Max is very hinged on the fact that he was not allowed back into his old school (as the result of his own behavior), but he sees HIS place being taken by a refugee lad. On such things people really do go along this sort of route. "They" have taken my job, house, etc. etc.........

Do wonder if this story is just a little too subtle to make any impression on those who follow down this racist, anti immigrant path - but it is a good try by the scriptwriters.

Calendargirl Fri 27-Jan-23 13:15:12

SPOILER ALERT!

Just seen in my next week’s tv guide that ‘David vows to get Max the best defence that money can buy’.

That’ll be Adam or Dee Dee then.

grin

Franbern Fri 27-Jan-23 18:00:42

grin grin

Beechnut Fri 27-Jan-23 19:45:04

I loved the part with Roy pulling up his zip. Made me laugh out loud.

Doodledog Fri 27-Jan-23 21:00:48

Have you all seen this story in today's Guardian?

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/27/uk-teenager-daniel-harris-sentenced-far-right-videos-us-killers

I suppose a risk with the story is that if radicalised kids are portrayed as 'normal' with difficult backstories we will sympathise with them in real life. Is that a bad thing? I don't know, really.

I think it's a good storyline, but I prefer Corrie when it's doing domestic drama with a sideline of comedy.

vegansrock Fri 27-Jan-23 21:03:27

We can all see that Hope is out to get Peanuts..

Aveline Fri 27-Jan-23 21:27:54

Oh poor Peanut!

Doodledog Fri 27-Jan-23 22:10:22

Hope is a pantomime villain, isn't she? grin. She acts quite well, although the scene with the dead chinchilla was pretty badly done. The actress who plays Ruby will be getting a new head soon, I suspect.

vegansrock Sat 28-Jan-23 03:02:51

I’m not convinced Stephen suddenly knows how to sew knickers - it’s a difficult job with stretchy fabrics, lace etc. And how come Alya is discharged from hospital hours after life or death surgery? Wetherfield General never seems to have a bed or staff shortage.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Jan-23 06:34:17

I think Corrie does very well to bring up really controversial subjects like the Max one unfortunately they don’t always do it very well Alya coming out of hospital the next day is ridiculous… why !
I think the Fiz scenes have been pretty rubbish lately but the chinchilla was quite funny and fits in with Rubys little scheming character I read Nana s going to be out of for a period doing something else

Aveline Sat 28-Jan-23 08:48:08

I'll miss Nana.
The Max story is very well written. Quite a public service story really. Explaining how disaffected youths can be drawn into this sort of thing. Max has always been in one sort of trouble after another. A bit of karma for David who certainly gave Gail plenty to worry about in his day! Good acting from that lad too.

lemsip Mon 30-Jan-23 20:31:02

oh dear, as if david could attack stephen

Aveline Mon 30-Jan-23 21:18:46

Somebody should. Might as well he David!

Doodledog Tue 31-Jan-23 00:02:24

Aveline

Somebody should. Might as well he David!

grin

vegansrock Tue 31-Jan-23 03:59:30

Gemma is really getting on my nerves now. I used to like her but she is so OTT now it’s annoying. Why is Daniel leaving Bertie with her when he and Glory were both at nursery in previous episodes? We all can see there is going to be an accident and Gemma’s lack of child minding qualifications will be exposed.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion