Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

WATCHING ...Harry & Meghan Netflix

(1001 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Bea65 Thu 08-Dec-22 08:07:16

So have switched onto Netflix - wanted to see for myself what the 'fuss' is all about as many diverse opinions on this couple on here and other social platforms ...as well as the media with 'experts' who state this and that etc etc...

merlotgran Fri 09-Dec-22 13:11:57

You give us orchestrated pictures of your kids and we won't ask for anything else.

It makes perfect sense to me. The children are photographed by their mother in a safe and secure environment or on public occasions where their parents and security are in control.

Why deliberately make an enemy of the press?

Lathyrus Fri 09-Dec-22 13:23:22

volver

That's not what its purporting to be about though is it? It's about the excesses of the press.

I haven't even seen the documentary but know how to google.

Tell you what's beyond awful. The absolute conviction of some people to believe everything they're told, provided it's anti Meghan.

Who's next, I wonder?

To use other people’s tragedy and put it up on what you know will be worldwide coverage just to defend your own actions?

I really can’t understand how anyone can justify that.

nadateturbe Fri 09-Dec-22 13:26:31

Glorianny

I've watched the first episode. It seemed to me a rather nice story of a young couple falling in love. One thing that did strike me was how much Harry hated the press intrusion into his childhood. I think given how he felt their departure was predictable after Archie was born. Who would put their child through the treatment they hated? California laws protect children from unwanted press attention until they are 16.

I agree. If I was Diana I would have done the same.
And I think it was awful to have the boys out meeting and shaking hands with the public.
They should have been somewhere private with daddy to have time to grieve.
And walking behind the coffin. Shocking.
I'm not a monarchist but they are human beings.

Joseanne Fri 09-Dec-22 13:27:48

I think the skiing clip where Diana had to remonstrate with photographers showed how far things have fortunately moved on and improved in terms of the press' photographing of the current royal children. Kate and William share the photos they want to put out with the press, and that's it.

nadateturbe Fri 09-Dec-22 13:49:04

True Joseanne I hadn't actually thought about it. Children are entitled to privacy.

Glorianny Fri 09-Dec-22 14:00:38

Joseanne

I think the skiing clip where Diana had to remonstrate with photographers showed how far things have fortunately moved on and improved in terms of the press' photographing of the current royal children. Kate and William share the photos they want to put out with the press, and that's it.

I think you will find there were substantial numbers of press at their first day at school. Not to mention the photos of Louis which appeared after the Jubilee celebrations. Did they really approve and share those?

Joseanne Fri 09-Dec-22 14:18:11

I think there is a code of conduct that is followed, certainly within the school grounds where the first day photos are shot. A protocol is followed.

LouGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Dec-22 14:18:38

Afternoon everyone.

We've had a few reports about this thread and we'd like to ask folk to exercise a bit of peace and love towards each other on it. If GNers can't discuss this topic without doing so, we may have to consider removing the entire thread.

Thanks all.

merlotgran Fri 09-Dec-22 14:19:23

The press were invited to film the three Cambridge children (as they were then) when they started school and the photos of Louis were already in the public domain.

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Dec-22 14:41:14

Lathyrus

Wow. I’ve just been reading complaints that one of the headlines shown purporting to be about the Sussexes was taken from coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

That’s just beyond awful

If true then they are being taken for a ride by the film makers.

There's a line between artistic license and outright lies.

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Dec-22 14:42:46

Lucca

Any reply to my post at 06.09 this morning ?

Also the thread rules are getting silly, sorry. Volver and I told off fir being “wingmen” or a clique of two, now Volver can’t comment after Joseanne.

I served my sentence.

Thank you.

Oreo Fri 09-Dec-22 14:50:24

Looks like a few posters would enjoy nothing better than if a thread about H and M were taken down.
There’s no reason for that to happen so posters shouldn't get sucked into that trap.Best to ignore comments that annoy you.

I don’t have Netflix, a shame as I want to see Stranger Things but wouldn't watch anything that the gruesome twosome put out anyway. So much privilege and cash and yet so much bitterness towards the world.

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Dec-22 14:51:17

nadateturbe

Glorianny

I've watched the first episode. It seemed to me a rather nice story of a young couple falling in love. One thing that did strike me was how much Harry hated the press intrusion into his childhood. I think given how he felt their departure was predictable after Archie was born. Who would put their child through the treatment they hated? California laws protect children from unwanted press attention until they are 16.

I agree. If I was Diana I would have done the same.
And I think it was awful to have the boys out meeting and shaking hands with the public.
They should have been somewhere private with daddy to have time to grieve.
And walking behind the coffin. Shocking.
I'm not a monarchist but they are human beings.

I agree with that, it was shocking.

Their grandmother was doing her very best to try to protect them and keep them away from the cameras.

It was Blair who orchestrated that and I wondered at the time how he would act if it was his children.
Just wicked imo.

merlotgran Fri 09-Dec-22 15:08:11

I gather the American press reviews are not overly enthusiastic.

I spent the first hour wondering why Netflix had shelled out so many millions on a compilation of re-hashed footage of Diana. 🤔

Chestnut Fri 09-Dec-22 15:12:55

Regarding Meghan's claim that 'they' were out to destroy her (very dramatic) I just read this (quote):
Mr Witchell also branded Meghan Markle's claim that anyone was 'out to destroy' her as 'absurd'. He quoted one of Meghan Markle's statements in the first three episodes of the Netflix documentary released yesterday which said 'no matter what I did they were still going to find a way to destroy me.' Referring to the Duchess's allegation, Mr Witchell said: 'The first point who is they she is referring? I think it is the Palace but most particularly the press. But the idea that anyone was out to destroy her frankly I think is absurd and simply does not stand up to proper and reasonable scrutiny.'

volver Fri 09-Dec-22 15:23:30

That's a quote from the Daily Mail isn't it? One of the papers that the Sussexes have sued? Hardly likely to be unbiased, I'd imagine.

Mr Witchell said: 'The first point who is the they she is referring to?

That'd be you, Nicholas.

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Dec-22 15:27:51

The NY Times today
www.nytimes.com/2022/12/08/arts/television/prince-harry-and-meghan-netflix-documentary.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Chestnut Fri 09-Dec-22 15:32:02

volver

That's a quote from the Daily Mail isn't it? One of the papers that the Sussexes have sued? Hardly likely to be unbiased, I'd imagine.

Mr Witchell said: 'The first point who is the they she is referring to?

That'd be you, Nicholas.

This quote is direct from Nicholas Witchell so which newspaper it's from is irrelevant. The idea that NW was out to destroy her is nonsense and there is no evidence to support such a claim

Forsythia Fri 09-Dec-22 15:32:45

Nobody taught her protocol she said or how to wave, what to wear, curtsey etc. she’s on record previously saying that Sarah Ferguson taught her how to curtsey. Also, she was taught by a protocol expert. She had the Queens trusted right hand ladies assigned to her also. She is a liar.

Chestnut Fri 09-Dec-22 15:33:04

FannyCornforth

The NY Times today
www.nytimes.com/2022/12/08/arts/television/prince-harry-and-meghan-netflix-documentary.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Can't read that without creating an account.

Chestnut Fri 09-Dec-22 15:33:57

Forsythia

Nobody taught her protocol she said or how to wave, what to wear, curtsey etc. she’s on record previously saying that Sarah Ferguson taught her how to curtsey. Also, she was taught by a protocol expert. She had the Queens trusted right hand ladies assigned to her also. She is a liar.

Also the Queen offered her Sophie as a mentor but she refused.

Forsythia Fri 09-Dec-22 15:34:14

Hello! magazine
www.hellomagazine.com › s...
Sarah Ferguson TAUGHT 'naive' Meghan Markle how to curtsy
8 Mar 2021 — The Duchess of Sussex has revealed she turned to Sarah Ferguson for some guidance before meeting the Queen for the very first time.
Video for Fergie taught Meghan how to curtsey before meeting the queen

Tatler
www.tatler.com › ... › Royals
Fergie Sarah Duchess of York taught Meghan Markle to curtsy
8 Mar 2021 — Indeed Sarah is known for her mastery of the curtsy, having often been photographed in an impressively deep knee bend when greeting the Queen.

Woman and Home
www.womanandhome.com › ...
The royal who taught Meghan to curtsey a few minutes before meeting ...
8 Mar 2021 — Meghan Markle has revealed that Sarah Ferguson taught her how to curtsey just minutes before meeting the Queen for the first time

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Dec-22 15:36:19

Chestnut drat, sorry all

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Dec-22 15:45:32

I always thought that Witchell veered towards the brown nosing side of obsequious.
I can’t imagine why on Earth an old journo such as him would want to ‘destroy’ Meghan.

It’s all a bit melodramatic.

I think that Meghan is like a real life Disney character - you decide whether she is the kind beautiful princess or the wicked queen.
I wrote an essay about Jungian archetypes in fairy tails.

I also have a book called ‘When a Princess Dies’ which is a Jungian evaluation of the reaction to the death of Diana.

It’s telling that Meghan’s pod cast is called ‘Archetypes’.

I think that she is far, far more clever than we give her credit for.

It is reported that she wears the same perfume as Diana (Penhaligon’s Bluebell)

volver Fri 09-Dec-22 15:50:00

I always thought that Witchell veered towards the brown nosing side of obsequious. I can’t imagine why on Earth an old journo such as him would want to ‘destroy’ Meghan.

He's obsequious to the RF. Can't imagine why he'd have it in for Meghan. hmm

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion