Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Apprentice.

(92 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 17-Mar-23 08:25:37

Haven’t watched this for a few years now as it was the same tired old formula, but there wasn’t much on last night. I saw it was the interview programme, where the final five are interrogated by Alan Sugar’s buddies. I had absolutely no idea about any of the candidates or what they were like, but I tuned in, as it used to be the best show in the series,

The final five were all women. Not sure how cut out for the business world any of them were. Three of them seemed to have had their lips ‘done’, which was no improvement. Think they all had long swingy hair which got tossed about quite a lot. Three of them wearing Hillary Clinton type trouser suits, the others in short skirt suits I think, all with power heels. Some of the outfits not the most flattering to their figures.

All had hopeless business plans, according to the experts. Karren (Baroness) Brady was particularly scathing, and managed to reduce two of them to tears, and she had to proffer them a box of tissues to delicately mop their eyes, being careful not to smudge the mascara.

Lord Sugar managed to whittle them down to the best two of a poor bunch.

I’m sure reality tv shows or presenting some daft panel game will be on the horizon for some of them.

Calendargirl Wed 22-Mar-23 07:13:33

cariad

I think the one who said ‘Karren’, then corrected herself, wasn’t the first one to forget the ‘Baroness Brady’. That was a previous one, and she had forewarned the others about it.

Joseanne Wed 22-Mar-23 07:26:56

I have the memory of an 🐘.
It was Megan who used the name "Karren". She came back to the room with the girls waiting and said, "I accidenrally called her Karren instead of Baroness Brady". The next girl got it right because Meghan had tipped her off.

merlotgran Wed 22-Mar-23 08:57:34

(accidently found while scrolling through the channels

Oh that old excuse! 😂

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Mar-23 09:26:21

I’ve always enjoyed The Apprentice, and I’ve liked this bunch - they seemed supportive of each other on the whole, not as self-important as usual, and there’s been a lot of humour. Of course it’s ridiculous to expect anyone to devise a decent product, market and sell it in a few hours, but it gives a snapshot of what they can do. The process has to be carefully edited or it wouldn’t be entertaining.

As for the candidates being “bullied” in the interviews - if I’d put myself forward as a businesswoman and didn’t know the difference between turnover and profit, or had missed the staffing costs out of my business plan, I’d take the mockery on the chin!

Team Marnie here.

Gizzy48 Wed 22-Mar-23 11:38:22

They don't have long to accomplish these tasks and they don't have any space for alterations or improvements. In any respectable enterprise they would not have to come up with a bulletproof product with no chance of tweaking it, and in any respectable enterprise the market research would begin before they settled on a final plan. So I cringed to see one team having to try to put a positive spin on a male cosmetic that turned the skin green - poor souls! - in Real Life they would have had the opportunity to test, tweak, test, tweak till ready.

That said, I felt very scornful of the team that produced the "Artic Saviour" game. It wasn't a question of not being able to spell it, none of them were pronouncing it properly, so they spelt it as they heard it. HOW many were there in that team that not one of them knew the correct word, or the fact that Penguins are only found in the southern hemisphere? Why didn't they base their product on something that at least one of them knew something about?

I only started watching with a catch-up of the previous series. I'm not normally a reality fan, and I do feel almost all the candidates are poseurs of the first water, looking not so much for a business career as an opportunity to become a "celebrity". I suspect that the people who left the "Process" were the ones who were taking it too seriously, woke up and saw the treadmill and decided to get off before they made twits of themselves.

sparkly1000 Wed 22-Mar-23 17:57:53

In 2011 the late Stuart Baggs was summoned to one of his final interviews with Margaret Mountford.

He breezed in with a cheery “Hello Margaret” Margaret immediately shot him down with “Would you normally address an interviewer who you had never met by their first name?”

These mock interviews are set up to be as realistic to true life and which the candidates may well encounter during their careers.

biglouis Wed 22-Mar-23 18:06:30

The woman who wants to open the boxing gyms at least has some experience of her sport and has raised a considerable amount of money by her own efforts. Its a good start.

Joseanne Wed 22-Mar-23 18:06:38

Actually I'm sure at the beginning of the programme when they handed in their business plans, Lord Sugar said something like, " And Baroness Brady is now joining us on the interview panel." He was obviously setting a more serious tone, and any astute candidate might have grasped what type of behaviour he was expecting in this situation.
Although easy to trip up if they had been calling her Karen for weeks.

biglouis Wed 22-Mar-23 18:13:25

Would you normally address an interviewer who you had never met by their first name

I was 16 when I went to my first interview (civil service) and was accompanied by my grandmother. Both the school uniform which I wore and the accompanying relative were considereed perfectly acceptable back then (1960). She told me to call the men "Sir" and the woman "Miss" as I had at school.

Until the 1980s I always called older/senior people in the workplace Mr and Mrs even if they called me by my first name. Then I went to uni and had all that knocked out of me.

sparkly1000 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:31:01

Having watched the entire series, unlike some posters, I do not recall hearing any contestant actually personally address or receive a comment from Karren nor Tim Campbell at any time.

Callistemon21 Wed 22-Mar-23 19:58:54

biglouis

The woman who wants to open the boxing gyms at least has some experience of her sport and has raised a considerable amount of money by her own efforts. Its a good start.

She has the promise of money, presumably if she can match it with money from Lord Sugar.

Ro60 Wed 22-Mar-23 22:10:31

What a dilemma for Lord Sugsr!
I've enjoyed the series - but wouldn't employ any of them this time.

Katie59 Thu 23-Mar-23 09:15:37

Poor Alan Sugar having to be a partner in a Boxing Gym or Hairdressing Salon, there is no prospect whatever of making any money out of either.

Boxing is mostly voluntary because boxers dont have money to pay for training, successful individuals do make money but they are very few.
Hairdressing is bare bones pay and many rent chairs out by the hour to pay the rent, competition is intense.

The candidates may be the best of the bunch, neither has a USP the business models can easily be copied. If the plans were presented to “The Dragons” they would get laughed out the room.

Sago Thu 23-Mar-23 09:26:54

Katie59

Poor Alan Sugar having to be a partner in a Boxing Gym or Hairdressing Salon, there is no prospect whatever of making any money out of either.

Boxing is mostly voluntary because boxers dont have money to pay for training, successful individuals do make money but they are very few.
Hairdressing is bare bones pay and many rent chairs out by the hour to pay the rent, competition is intense.

The candidates may be the best of the bunch, neither has a USP the business models can easily be copied. If the plans were presented to “The Dragons” they would get laughed out the room.

Boxing or boxercise as it’s known is great exercise, my DIL pays a lot of money for sessions at a London gym.
Regarding hairdressing, a top stylist can make a lot of money, I have friends who will happily hand over £100’s of pounds for a couple of hours in the chair.

Katie59 Thu 23-Mar-23 09:32:55

Sago

Katie59

Boxing or boxercise as it’s known is great exercise, my DIL pays a lot of money for sessions at a London gym.
Regarding hairdressing, a top stylist can make a lot of money, I have friends who will happily hand over £100’s of pounds for a couple of hours in the chair.

It’s an illusion, by the time rent, rates, labour insurance and all the other overheads profit is slim at best.

Joseanne Thu 23-Mar-23 09:47:41

I think the blue trouser suit girl, Megan?, with the cake café might have outshone Marnie the boxer in the final analysis. Megan was very switched on, but I think her business was too close to a couple of others who have won before, so Alan Sugar had to get rid of her.