Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Trigger Warnings

(56 Posts)
Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 09:53:56

There has been mention of trigger warnings on the Coronation Street thread, and rather than derail that one I thought I'd broaden it out.

For non-Corrie fans, there have been two potentially triggering incidents lately - the death of an old dog and a young man having acid thrown in his face. Both were preceded by a trigger warning, as are many other programmes where anything from drug use to road accidents are portrayed. We also hear of books, including classics, having trigger warnings in educational settings, and poetry readings often have them if a poem is going to have reference to (for example) bullying or domestic violence).

I can see the point in many ways. I would rather a warning about a particular trigger than a blanket 'not suitable for user 18s' for instance. I am over 18, but prefer to avoid supernatural horror, and others might be upset by swearing, which hasn't bothered me at any age. Similarly, I knew what would upset my children, and would have preferred to know why something had been deemed unsuitable, so i could decide for myself whether to let them watch.

The other side, however, is that too many warnings can weaken them. A warning of 'violence' when applied to rough and tumble, or 'shows scenes that some viewers might find upsetting' applied to both a dog dying and an acid attack don't fully prepare audiences for what is to come. As a young woman I had seen so many 'violence' warnings that I was completely unprepared for Death Wish, and the rape scene made me feel unsafe in my own home for years after seeing it.

OTOH, if warnings were too subject-specific they could become spoilers and ruin the programme. 'Butlers might be upset by the implication that they always do it' for instance wink

What do you think?

Juicylucy Thu 30-Mar-23 18:53:25

I have 2 friends that scrolled past Happy Valley on their Home Screen when t first came out as they thought it was going to be hairy fairy drama.
How wrong were they so the titles can be misleading.
Since loosing my dad to heart attack in ICU back in the 90s I cannot watch hospital programs of any sort drama or reality I’m not of the sensitive type but these trigger me incase I see something similar to how I remember his last days.

VioletSky Thu 30-Mar-23 18:55:07

Now that's a helpful trigger warning

The following programme may contain continuous abject misery, complaining and pointless drama

JPB123 Thu 30-Mar-23 20:33:56

We read the blurb on the cover of books before we read them,so I suppose it’s similar..a quick synopsis.

Grannybags Thu 30-Mar-23 21:23:38

Doodledog

CoolCoco

Some people should have bit of empathy. A few seconds warning before a show doesn't hurt anyone of a robust disposition, yet some people may be triggered by a programme which has content about ,for example, suicide, when they have had been personally impacted by suicide and would rather not watch it. - so they are informed. What harm does that do?

No harm in that instance, but what if the suicide happens on 13th of the month, and someone is wearing buttons, and there is a spider or a snake in a tank in the room? Or there is a car crash, or someone vomits, or dies of something that a viewer has a fear of? So many things can be triggering. And what if the suicide comes at the end of the programme, and knowing it's going to happen ruins the impact?

I'm not being flippant - I just don't see how everyone's fears can be covered without ruining programmes.

I agree with Doodledog. Everyone's trigger is different.

I had one brother who killed himself by hanging and another who died by accidental drowning. I can't watch anything with either in it but I don't expect a warning.

MerylStreep Fri 31-Mar-23 23:39:43

I’ve just seen on new one on Netflix. Crude humour.
If they think that’s going to warn me off, they’re wrong 😂