Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Oppenheimer

(61 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 01-Aug-23 10:41:00

Yesterday I went to see this tour de force and highly recommend it - was totally absorbed from start to finish.

I knew the basic story of the 'Father of the atomic bomb' but there was so much I didn't know, particularly his life after WW2. It was of course very thought-provoking.

And a stellar cast too.

NotSpaghetti Mon 07-Aug-23 18:45:23

Is it accurate do we know?
Just wondering.

foxie48 Tue 08-Aug-23 10:55:52

Going to see it tomorrow evening and looking forward to it.

Caravansera Tue 08-Aug-23 11:03:46

Back on BBC iPlayer is the excellent 2009 docudrama Storyville: The Trials of Oppenheimer. David Strathairn as Oppenheimer and narrated by Zoe Wanamaker

Urmstongran Tue 08-Aug-23 11:12:04

Ooh I think I fancy that more Caravansera.
Thank you.
I will look it up.

SueDonim Tue 08-Aug-23 12:26:18

I saw this on Saturday and was blown away. Be warned, it’s very LOUD!

Notspaghetti from what I’ve read since, it seems to run pretty close to real life.

Caravansera Tue 08-Aug-23 13:56:57

A good companion film to the new film Oppenheimer or TV's The Trials of Oppenheimer is George Clooney's 2005 Goodnight and Good Luck. This also stars David Straithairn, this time as CBS's Edward Murrow taking on Joseph McCarthy. It's currently on ITVX.

Robert Downey Junior plays Joe Wershba who reported on the case of USAF Milo John Radulovich accused of Communist connections and sympathies which sets the whole story in motion. Downey is also in Oppenheimer as Lewis Strauss, a driving force in the controversial hearings against Oppenheimer, so the other side of the fence this time.

TerriBull Tue 08-Aug-23 15:03:35

I posted on the other thread, I thought it was an excellent film, stayed with me for quite a while, very thought provoking as to the horror of using such a detrimental weapon of mass destruction and the ramifications. Long and loud at times, excellent performances by Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jnr. Glad I saw it on the big screen.

PoppyFlower Tue 08-Aug-23 15:14:37

I am going to see it on Friday. I will report back soon!

crazyH Tue 08-Aug-23 15:23:49

Hoping to go tomorrow

Oldbat1 Tue 08-Aug-23 15:27:41

Read that the dialogue is difficulr to hear. Jane Hill the news reader on BBC walked out half way due to not being able to hear what was being said so for me it will be pointless going as i have hearing loss even with my hearing aids.

Streaky Tue 08-Aug-23 16:06:35

I was looking forward to seeing this film, and then I saw how long it was and I didn’t fancy the idea of sitting by myself in a cinema for three hours.
Thank you Caravansera for the info about the Storyville documentary. I have just watched it and it was excellent. I really like David Strathairn, especially his voice, so thank you also for the heads up about Goodnight and Good Luck being on ITVX. One of my favourite films, so that’s tonight’s viewing sorted!
This is a great thread!

SueDonim Tue 08-Aug-23 16:12:10

The first part in particular does have poor speech, which is a 👎 for it. That improves as the film goes on, though.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 08-Aug-23 19:16:17

Will wait until I can stream it as I need subtitles to absorb it properly. I know cinema is loud but it is the definition I need. Thank you for the BBC I player recommendation.

stayanotherday Tue 08-Aug-23 19:25:29

I hated it apart from the great acting. Too long, boring and music too loud but speaking too quiet in parts.

Iam64 Tue 08-Aug-23 20:13:49

Yes a big screen production. Great film

SueDonim Tue 08-Aug-23 20:55:54

Boring?? I barely took my eyes off the screen for three hours! I guess it takes all sorts. grin

Devorgilla Tue 08-Aug-23 21:35:17

I saw Barbie today and hope to see Oppenheimer very soon. For anyone who thinks three hours is too long to sit through without a loo visit, my daughter has just informed me there is an App for that. Who would have guessed it? It's called 'Run Pee' and gives you a thirty second warning to best times to duck out to miss the boring bit. You have three to five minutes to go and you get a summary of the bit you've missed on your phone. They review all the main films, notebook in hand, and advise on best times. I'll be watching now to see the synchronised exiting to the loo in various films.

Gillycats Tue 08-Aug-23 22:55:09

It’s brilliant. There are a few things that aren’t 100% historically accurate but mostly it tells the story well. I have a slight hearing problem but at no time struggled with the audio being too loud or difficult to understand. Given the historic importance of the subject I can’t understand how anyone would find it boring. Each to their own though.

Gundy Wed 09-Aug-23 12:52:00

Riverwalk it IS tour de force movie-making! It’s a brilliantly put together story based on the biography “American Prometheus”. It’s visually stunning.

I saw it for the 2nd time yesterday. You will learn pieces of history that flesh out the top-secret mission of this man’s work.

Christopher Nolan is a genius in script writing, directing. A stellar cast - all Oscar worthy performances. You do come away pondering about how this changed the world order back then.

I ordered the book. (Pulitzer Prize winner)
USA Gundy

Skye17 Wed 09-Aug-23 14:29:56

Devorgilla

I saw Barbie today and hope to see Oppenheimer very soon. For anyone who thinks three hours is too long to sit through without a loo visit, my daughter has just informed me there is an App for that. Who would have guessed it? It's called 'Run Pee' and gives you a thirty second warning to best times to duck out to miss the boring bit. You have three to five minutes to go and you get a summary of the bit you've missed on your phone. They review all the main films, notebook in hand, and advise on best times. I'll be watching now to see the synchronised exiting to the loo in various films.

Great info, thank you!

sheilahart123 Wed 09-Aug-23 14:46:13

I saw the film last week. I could only hear 20% of the dialogue. I left halfway through the film .

mokryna Wed 09-Aug-23 15:41:22

I saw the film last night in the imax at the Trafford Centre which coped for the three hours’, sitting/lounging back comfortably. However, it was so loud, the place shook, which I was told, adds atmosphere. I sometimes had problems understanding the dialogue as although loud it wasn’t clear. It definitely not boring, the time passed very quickly because I was interested in film.
I didn’t like the trailers that advertised up and coming films, so violent and unnecessary to show these short extracts from a 90 minute film.

Chestnut Wed 09-Aug-23 15:55:20

I remember the 1980 BBC TV series Oppenheimer starring Sam Waterston was very good. It was 7 episodes of 60 mins each. And guess what....it's now available on BBC iPlayer! So I shall watch that.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppenheimer_(TV_series)
The movie is only 180 mins and the series is 420 mins so much more detailed.

KaazaK Wed 09-Aug-23 16:34:06

Loved it. Amazing film and Cillian Murphy was just brilliant. I was a little concerned before seeing it that I would be thinking Tommy Shelby and not getting Cillian in another role but he totally nailed it