Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alison Hammond shouty and disturbing

(91 Posts)
specki4eyes Wed 24-Jan-24 12:08:08

Could the programme and advertisement makers please ask this presenter to tone it down a peg? She's everywhere, shrieking and shouting and laughing uproariously at nothing! Im not being anti-Brummie - I'm from the West Midlands myself and hearing the accent makes me feel at home. I just cant bear it and have to hit the mute button whenever she's on, so whatever she is advocating or presenting goes unheard - by me at least!

HelterSkelter1 Wed 24-Jan-24 12:14:40

Some of the weather presenters on BBC are so shouty as well.

In fact there is so much shoutiness on TV generally. Do they think we like it or need it. Who can we tell?

I am fed up with it. I don't watch Alison H but can sympathise.

Louella12 Wed 24-Jan-24 12:17:14

Not really a fan of AH.

I was concerned about her presenting Great British Bake Off due to the loud brash style she has, but in actual fact she was fine.

So she's obviously capable of toning it down

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 24-Jan-24 12:56:46

She’s obviously not everywhere as I’ve never heard of her.

Witzend Wed 24-Jan-24 13:02:27

Germanshepherdsmum

She’s obviously not everywhere as I’ve never heard of her.

Nor me!

PinkCosmos Wed 24-Jan-24 13:02:58

I am not keen on AH on the morning programme. She seems like a nice person but she is shouty and over the top. I refer Josie - sorry I can't remember her last name.

AH did seem to tone it down on Bake Off but she didn't seem to be on screen much.

Theexwife Wed 24-Jan-24 13:11:13

I dont like her on BakeOff, laughs at nothing.

Aldom Wed 24-Jan-24 13:15:25

Nor me grin

eazybee Wed 24-Jan-24 13:19:32

I agree about Alison Hammond, and I also think Michelle Dewberry needs to learn to project her voice, not shout, and moderate the tone.

Chestnut Wed 24-Jan-24 13:24:27

Theexwife

I've just posted on another thread about Rustie Lee (TV chef) who also laughs at nothing. She is not shouty, just annoying. She says something as if she's telling a joke, then laughs as if it's hysterically funny. It's not a joke and she is laughing at nothing. I've seen her a couple of times lately and cannot help my eyeballs going up every time.

shysal Wed 24-Jan-24 13:27:53

I like Alison and find her laugh infectious. She seems to be a lovely kind hearted woman.
It seems the presenters on daytime TV are encouraged to laugh and muck about a lot, which does irritate me when it is inappropriate.

PuddyCat Wed 24-Jan-24 13:29:02

I turn off any program with AH in it, I find her just too much. She's too loud and over excited and drowns out any other presenter or guest with her shrieking laughter and constant interuptions. I wish she'd just reign it in a bit.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Jan-24 13:59:43

I like Alison Hammond, I think she is a breath of fresh air compared to some of the identikit female presenters which seem to dominate daytime TV.

silverlining48 Wed 24-Jan-24 14:38:39

I don’t know who she us but. Will be on the lookout 👀

argymargy Wed 24-Jan-24 14:39:17

I wasn't a fan before I saw her on Bakeoff - and she really grew on me! I suspect that she matches her loudness/annoyingness to her perception of what the audience wants. Eg on Loose Women overly loud and brash and cackling; on Bakeoff more engaging and sweet.

Callistemon21 Wed 24-Jan-24 14:42:49

I've only seen her on Bakeoff and thought she was good.

However, you'd have to pay me to watch Loose Women so I don't know what she's like on there.

Witzend Wed 24-Jan-24 14:48:12

Chestnut

Theexwife

I've just posted on another thread about Rustie Lee (TV chef) who also laughs at nothing. She is not shouty, just annoying. She says something as if she's telling a joke, then laughs as if it's hysterically funny. It's not a joke and she is laughing at nothing. I've seen her a couple of times lately and cannot help my eyeballs going up every time.

It was decades ago, and I’d forgotten her name until you mentioned her! After a holiday we were at an airport 8 hours from the U.K. - a lot of Brits returning from holidays were there, many of whom were admiringly milling around her. Dds were still little, and without the slightest encouragement on my part, she made a bit of a fuss of them.

I could tell that she was ‘somebody’ and that I was supposed to know who, and say something appropriate, but we were living in Oman at the time, no U.K. TV, so I had not the faintest idea who she was!

petra Wed 24-Jan-24 14:48:50

Callistemon21

However, you'd have to pay me to watch Loose Women so I don't know what she's like on there.

Did you miss her on Strictly? 🤷‍♀️

Callistemon21 Wed 24-Jan-24 14:54:44

petra

Callistemon21

Did you miss her on Strictly? 🤷‍♀️

I must have done.
Was it last time? I never watch all of it!

Mikky Wed 24-Jan-24 15:16:09

I can, t watch AH either, she is too loud for me.
I also had to stop watching Ant & Dec Saturday night takeaway as its too manic.

Georgesgran Wed 24-Jan-24 15:19:12

I’m not keen on her - I think she first made an impression on me when she entered some sort of tv diet programme. I find her too loud, ever her voiceover for Wren kitchens grates.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Jan-24 16:07:07

I really like Alison think she’s a breathe of fresh air but then I always loved Rustie Lee although I haven’t seen her for a good while Loud and proud I think they are both great fun I haven’t seen bake off as that’s not on my viewing list
But I think Alison’s a kind hearted and fun person loud or not she has a personality, unlike some people like Bradly Walsh s son who has no personality at all unlike his Dad , he (the son) should never be presenting anything he’s so bland a tortoise could do a better job

shysal Wed 24-Jan-24 16:27:44

I don't think she is a Loose Woman, I have never seen her on it. She co-presents the This Morning programme.

MayBee70 Wed 24-Jan-24 16:52:26

She’s one of the few contestants from Big Brother that I remember liking at the time ( I remember her breaking a table) and also one of the few to go on to make a career on television. She made a very good serious documentary a few years ago but I can’t find anything about it….I’m sure I haven’t imagined it. I can understand why people might find her over the top ( I usually dislike people that are always grinning and laughing when they present things) but I think everything about her is totally genuine.

MayBee70 Wed 24-Jan-24 16:54:12

On the subject of Rustie Lee, has she found the elixir of youth? She never looks any older!