Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's a movie you love, but you never recommend to anyone?

(88 Posts)
reid88 Wed 16-Sept-26 12:39:14

You ever finish a movie and think, "I love this.. but I'm not telling anyone to watch it? Maybe it's too weird, too personal, too slow, or just hard to explain without sounding weird.

Whatever the reason, it's your gem, but you keep it quiet. What's that movie for you? I wanna watch it.

For me, it's not even about being embarrassed. It's more like... know how I connected with it. but I don't guarantee anyone else will. Maybe the pacing's off, the vibe is super niche, or it just hit me at a weird time in life.

Sarnia Wed 16-Sept-26 13:04:00

Zone of Interest.
My Dad started taking me to the cinema when I was 5 and in the intervening 73 years I have watched umpteen films but never one like this. It is, without doubt, the most disturbing film I have ever seen.
This true story centres on Rudolph Hoss and his family life with his wife and 5 children. They have a beautiful home and splendid garden where the family enjoy entertaining, enjoying the best of everything. Through the garden gate is another world entirely. Auschwitz. Hoss is the Kommandant of this hell hole, cheek by jowl with his home. We never see inside. Jonathan Glazer, the director, makes our imagination work out the horrors. The distant screams, the sound of another train pulling in, the smoke spiralling into the sky.
I hesitate to recommend it because it has never left me and as brilliant as this film is it has the power to shock. Many would not want to watch it.

Davida1968 Wed 16-Sept-26 14:57:09

"More than Heaven Allows" . Made in 1955 and starring Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson. A love story with some interesting issues of the day. (Children think widowed mum in past it!)
Could be considered "schmaltzy" especially these days, but it includes issues of "class" and age differences, which are just as relevant these days, IMO.

Bridey Wed 16-Sept-26 16:22:15

Oh i agree Sarnia, i have watched Zone of Interest 3 times now, and each time i hear/see things i have missed, its an amazing film.

Sarnia Wed 16-Sept-26 16:55:20

Bridey

Oh i agree Sarnia, i have watched Zone of Interest 3 times now, and each time i hear/see things i have missed, its an amazing film.

Yes, quite unique but chilling.
I couldn't fathom out what the silhouette scenes were all about. I had to look it up. The director, Jonathan Glazer, wanted to show that even in the darkest times, there are always those with compassion. So he included the black and white scenes where the Polish girl is leaving apples for the prisoners to find.

Sueinkent Thu 17-Sept-26 13:49:36

A French Film called Les Yeux Sans Visage. (Eyes without a face) A horror film about a man whois trying to repair his daughter’s damaged face and experiments of women to do so. B/W 50’s. Scary.

Tallulah21 Thu 17-Sept-26 14:10:32

I agree. Absolutely chilling,

jenpax Thu 17-Sept-26 15:35:22

Twister. I cant really say why but it is one that both middle DD and I love

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Sept-26 15:44:13

jenpax

Twister. I cant really say why but it is one that both middle DD and I love

Snap, it’s a favourite in our house.

nexus63 Thu 17-Sept-26 15:47:46

i have 2 films that i have watched over and over soylent green and a matter of life and death.

Ray82 Thu 17-Sept-26 15:59:54

Brief Encounter but I think some people would find it over romantic.I found it had good moral story and the way some men just said yes dear to their wife without listening said it all!

monami Thu 17-Sept-26 16:02:18

The potato men with jonny vegas

Sparky51 Thu 17-Sept-26 16:35:27

Its actually Rudolph Hess..not Hoss...just to be correct.

CarrotTop Thu 17-Sept-26 16:40:23

Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train". So cleverly put together, but it's now considered old-fashioned and - worse - it requires a bit of thinking about to "get" it. People prefer easier entertainment these days. I wouldn't recommend any film/play/book/music to anyone - people ought to make their own choices and decisions, not just do what other people recommend.

Rocketdog6 Thu 17-Sept-26 16:40:48

A good year with Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard. It has everything in it. But, watching it makes you want a nice red wine. The beginning is difficult to watch but the rest of the film is very enjoyable.

AGAA4 Thu 17-Sept-26 16:54:53

CarrotTop

Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train". So cleverly put together, but it's now considered old-fashioned and - worse - it requires a bit of thinking about to "get" it. People prefer easier entertainment these days. I wouldn't recommend any film/play/book/music to anyone - people ought to make their own choices and decisions, not just do what other people recommend.

One of my favourites. The plot is clever but chilling.

Sarnia Thu 17-Sept-26 16:57:00

Sparky51

Its actually Rudolph Hess..not Hoss...just to be correct.

I am afraid it is you who are not correct.

Rudolph Hoss and Rudolph Hess are 2 different people.

Hoss was the first and longest serving Kommandant of Auschwitz.

Hess was Hitler's Deputy and was nowhere near Auschwitz.

sandelf Thu 17-Sept-26 17:03:19

The French 'La Cage aux Folles' - you can have subtitles. Not the same as the USA one at all.

nanaK54 Thu 17-Sept-26 17:09:17

Ray82

Brief Encounter but I think some people would find it over romantic.I found it had good moral story and the way some men just said yes dear to their wife without listening said it all!

Oh I love 'Brief Encounter' and also 'Random Harvest' which so few people seem to know

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is the one that I usually keep quiet about - I love it and have seen it countless times

TheHappyGardener Thu 17-Sept-26 18:53:52

Well, I’m definitely going to have to watch Zone of Interest - it sounds fascinating and chilling all at once (and it’s one I’ve not heard of before). Mine (in comparison) is totally flippant but it never fails to make me laugh out loud and weep in equal measure - When Harry Met Sally - it explores a subject close to my heart, which is the age-old question of whether men and women can be best friends without being attracted to each other. But my own kids (in their forties) and certainly anyone younger I’m sure think it’s very dated now which is why I wouldn’t recommend it. I’ll never stop loving it though … 😌

meadowgran Thu 17-Sept-26 18:54:52

Yes Brief Encounter is a firm favourite especially as I was once in a very similar situation.
I love Le Boucher by Claude Chabrol and I have watched it many times. I like the sheer Frenchness of it, the era and fashions in the 1960s and the slow building of fear and tension, But the two people I have shared it with have been bored and didn’t get it.
Oddly the film is set in Tremolat the small, rural village in the Dordogne, France where the Englishwoman Karen Carter was murdered in 2025 and was also stabbed like the film. A French woman has been charged with her murder.

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Sept-26 19:13:22

The Hunger, I love the story (modern vampire), the filming and the music, MrJ was not impressed!

Flo122 Thu 17-Sept-26 19:41:48

I absolutely love Random Harvest, have it on VHS somewhere

Romola Thu 17-Sept-26 20:26:36

A Matter of Life and Death always had DH riveted. He'd been a young RAF pilot in the 1950s and was also an incurable romantic. It seems very dated now.
A film I love - so did DH - but younger people don't seem to get is The English Patient, another war drama (with aeroplane!) made in 1997.

Marg75 Thu 17-Sept-26 20:31:19

I love The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston and Kevin Kostner. The song 'I will always love you' performed by Whitney is spellbinding.