Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's a movie you love, but you never recommend to anyone?

(89 Posts)
reid88 Wed 16-Sept-26 12:39:14

You ever finish a movie and think, "I love this.. but I'm not telling anyone to watch it? Maybe it's too weird, too personal, too slow, or just hard to explain without sounding weird.

Whatever the reason, it's your gem, but you keep it quiet. What's that movie for you? I wanna watch it.

For me, it's not even about being embarrassed. It's more like... know how I connected with it. but I don't guarantee anyone else will. Maybe the pacing's off, the vibe is super niche, or it just hit me at a weird time in life.

Rosamunde Thu 17-Sept-26 20:58:46

Is is actually Rudolph Höss, or can be spelled Hoess. The ö in German is pronounced like the u in “murder”.

Rosamunde Thu 17-Sept-26 21:05:08

He was actually called Rudolph Höss. The ö in German is pronounced like the u in “murder”.

Janetashbolt Thu 17-Sept-26 21:06:00

I watched Omega Man and Soylent Green in a cinema double bill BOTH really scared me, never recommended them as they are both very different end of civilisation movies.

Rosamunde Thu 17-Sept-26 21:09:31

Apologies, ladies. I obviously don’t know how to comment on a message!

Kitty55 Thu 17-Sept-26 21:49:11

It’s The Colour Purple for me. Thought the acting was fantastic and there was a proper story. Every emotion was in there I laughed with them and cried with them. There was sadness, kindness, cruelty and love. A beautiful film.

MollyNew Thu 17-Sept-26 22:18:42

The Heiress with Olivia DeHavilland, Ralph Richardson and Montgomery Clift. On the face of it, it's just a Victorian melodrama but the acting is so good and the plot so well planned, I love it.

Tilly8 Thu 17-Sept-26 22:49:37

Out of Africa - wonderful film. I’d be upset if I recommended it to someone and they didn’t like it! Better to keep it to myself.

grannybuy Thu 17-Sept-26 23:06:49

Cinema Paradiso. Lovely story, and the music is haunting.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Sept-26 23:16:19

Janetashbolt

I watched Omega Man and Soylent Green in a cinema double bill BOTH really scared me, never recommended them as they are both very different end of civilisation movies.

Was that the Charlton Heston Omega Man? I was scared to go outside after dark for years after seeing that! I’m really careful about what I watch these days because once seen never forgotten; I will never watch The Blair Witch Project because of it.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Sept-26 23:20:24

I thought The Road was a brilliant film. I even read the book after seeing the film and loved that, too. But I bought the dvd and lent it to my daughter who said how could you have given me something so depressing to watch.

Bluecat Thu 17-Sept-26 23:51:25

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes’ Smarter Brother starring Gene Wilder. Very, very silly but I love w.

Bluecat Thu 17-Sept-26 23:52:11

That should say “it” not “w”!

Arto1s Fri 18-Sept-26 00:55:00

Actually, Sparky51, to be pedantic, the exact spelling of the name is Hoess.

Margs Fri 18-Sept-26 01:36:56

Ridley Scott's very first film "The Duellist's". A magical period piece spanning the Napoleonic wars.

And then he went on to do the Alien films.

seasider Fri 18-Sept-26 07:36:27

National Lampoons European Vacation . I don’t usually like “silly” films but this one really makes me laugh grin

Sarnia Fri 18-Sept-26 13:31:50

Arto1s

Actually, Sparky51, to be pedantic, the exact spelling of the name is Hoess.

There are a few spellings on his surname. Britannica uses Hoss. Wikipedia uses Hoss with 2 dots above the o, which I can't seem to get on my computer but was corrected by Rosamunde.

Whichever spelling is used it doesn't detract from the OP's request for films we would not recommend .

henetha Fri 18-Sept-26 13:41:03

Dear Evan Hansen is a film I've seen twice and really enjoyed. But I wouldn't recommend it to friends as it's basically a film for teenagers and some might think I'm weird for liking it.

Oreo Fri 18-Sept-26 13:49:50

The Producers ( the original version)
I don’t recommend it to others as people’s reaction to it varies but me and all the family, Jewish btw all think it’s really funny.

Sasta Fri 18-Sept-26 15:54:01

Sarnia

Zone of Interest.
My Dad started taking me to the cinema when I was 5 and in the intervening 73 years I have watched umpteen films but never one like this. It is, without doubt, the most disturbing film I have ever seen.
This true story centres on Rudolph Hoss and his family life with his wife and 5 children. They have a beautiful home and splendid garden where the family enjoy entertaining, enjoying the best of everything. Through the garden gate is another world entirely. Auschwitz. Hoss is the Kommandant of this hell hole, cheek by jowl with his home. We never see inside. Jonathan Glazer, the director, makes our imagination work out the horrors. The distant screams, the sound of another train pulling in, the smoke spiralling into the sky.
I hesitate to recommend it because it has never left me and as brilliant as this film is it has the power to shock. Many would not want to watch it.

One of the best, if not the best, depicting the true horrors of the time. I have however recommended it to close friends as it’s just so good. The ‘lipstick’; if you know you know.

MiniMoon Fri 18-Sept-26 16:11:55

I could watch Billy Elliott every day, but a film that I loved and have never recommended is The Road to Perdition.
In my opinion it's one of Tom Hank's better films.

TattyBluebell Fri 18-Sept-26 16:59:15

I love this question!
ROOM is an absolutely wonderful film. It isn't a film I would recommend to people because of its dark subject. The way it is written though is excellent. It is from the perspective of a little boy called Jack and begins on his 5th Birthday...
I'll leave it there, but the acting is superb, especiallythe bond between Jack and his mum. I read the book first as I like to do before I watch the film. If you do watch it let me know what you think.
It is a story that has never left me and I like to watch it now again.

MayBee70 Fri 18-Sept-26 18:18:36

TattyBluebell

I love this question!
ROOM is an absolutely wonderful film. It isn't a film I would recommend to people because of its dark subject. The way it is written though is excellent. It is from the perspective of a little boy called Jack and begins on his 5th Birthday...
I'll leave it there, but the acting is superb, especiallythe bond between Jack and his mum. I read the book first as I like to do before I watch the film. If you do watch it let me know what you think.
It is a story that has never left me and I like to watch it now again.

I agree. It is a subject matter that I thought I would find difficult but it was so well done. I mentioned it to my daughter and she said no way could she watch it so I never recommended it again to anyone.

BridgetPark Fri 18-Sept-26 19:03:44

Camelot with Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave. It has a real sentimental pull for me. Took my sister and younger brother to see it, I was about 14. It was so cinematic and sweeping, and the music is wonderful. Richard Harris was wonderful, handsome and caring.But I cannot watch it again, it meant so much to me at the time, and the music is haunting. A truly beautiful film. Another one i immersed myself in was called The Dollmaker. It starred Jane Fonda, as a young mother with young daughters, a husband who was doing his best to put food on the table. It is incredibly sad, so I cannot really tell people to watch it, for that reason.

Tenko Fri 18-Sept-26 21:30:51

henetha

Dear Evan Hansen is a film I've seen twice and really enjoyed. But I wouldn't recommend it to friends as it's basically a film for teenagers and some might think I'm weird for liking it.

I saw the play and loved it . Even though it’s about teenagers , it’s also about the parents .

Tenko Fri 18-Sept-26 21:34:16

Oreo

The Producers ( the original version)
I don’t recommend it to others as people’s reaction to it varies but me and all the family, Jewish btw all think it’s really funny.

I’ve watched the film and also saw the play in London earlier this year . I have a weird sense of humour and find it very funny