Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's a movie you love, but you never recommend to anyone?

(89 Posts)
reid88 Wed 16-Sept-26 12:39:14

You ever finish a movie and think, "I love this.. but I'm not telling anyone to watch it? Maybe it's too weird, too personal, too slow, or just hard to explain without sounding weird.

Whatever the reason, it's your gem, but you keep it quiet. What's that movie for you? I wanna watch it.

For me, it's not even about being embarrassed. It's more like... know how I connected with it. but I don't guarantee anyone else will. Maybe the pacing's off, the vibe is super niche, or it just hit me at a weird time in life.

nanna8 Sun 20-Sept-26 00:02:29

Oh yes, I loved Dr. Zhivago.

Chestnut Sun 20-Sept-26 00:13:56

I feel very concerned that youngsters of today will never watch the amazing 20th century films we watched. They may watch some of the more famous/popular ones but there are so many which sit under the radar and they may never see them. That worries me because those movies provide such a fantastic glimpse into the past. Our generation never had that from the previous century because they didn't make movies in the 1800s. I don't think todays youngsters realise how lucky they are to have all those old movies, just hope they get to see them when they're a bit older.

Esmay Tue 22-Sept-26 11:52:28

Far From The Madding Crowd is another deeply moving book and film .
I cried at Troy's treatment of Fanny Robin,his cruelty to Bathsheba and then ,
the pain and actions of Farmer Boldwood resulting in his death.

It ends happily-even so it's a real tear jerker.

Magenta8 Tue 22-Sept-26 12:40:16

seasider

National Lampoons European Vacation . I don’t usually like “silly” films but this one really makes me laugh grin

Is that the one where Chevy Chase knocks Eric Idle off his bike and Eric apologises to him? Very funny but I would only recommend it to anyone with a certain kind of sense of humour.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Sept-26 13:14:02

Esmay

Far From The Madding Crowd is another deeply moving book and film .
I cried at Troy's treatment of Fanny Robin,his cruelty to Bathsheba and then ,
the pain and actions of Farmer Boldwood resulting in his death.

It ends happily-even so it's a real tear jerker.

I preferred the more recent adaptation with Carey Mulligan except I thought Captain Troy was mis cast; if only a young Terence Stamp could have been in that version, too. I can watch that film over and over again. Along with the latest tv adaptation of Tess with Gemma Arterton. To me that was perfection. My eyes well up just thinking about it so I’d only recommend it to someone like me who enjoys wallowing in misery

hollysteers Tue 22-Sept-26 14:08:38

A Man and a Woman. Very romantic 60s black and white French film and a lovely soundtrack. I love French films and identified with Anouk Aimee. Handsome leading man too.

JamesandJon33 Tue 22-Sept-26 14:48:12

My utter favourite film is Ben-Hur. I saw it first when I was about fifteen , so an impressionable age. Such a majestic film

Greyduster Thu 24-Sept-26 08:07:10

If we are talking favourite films of all time, it has to be “The Lion in Winter”. Powerful story of complicated family dynamics and power struggles with a fabulous, largely English, cast - Katherine Hepburn, Peter O’Toole, Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton et al. Sparks fly, swords are drawn, and everyone ends up friends (almost). Hepburn and O’Toole are mesmerising.

MrsQuigley Thu 24-Sept-26 08:26:43

The 1950s screen version of The Thirty Nine Steps. Great story, read and seen many times. This version stars my first ever screen hero, Kenneth More.

Chestnut Thu 24-Sept-26 09:32:11

MayBee70

Esmay

Far From The Madding Crowd is another deeply moving book and film .
I cried at Troy's treatment of Fanny Robin,his cruelty to Bathsheba and then ,
the pain and actions of Farmer Boldwood resulting in his death.

It ends happily-even so it's a real tear jerker.

I preferred the more recent adaptation with Carey Mulligan except I thought Captain Troy was mis cast; if only a young Terence Stamp could have been in that version, too. I can watch that film over and over again. Along with the latest tv adaptation of Tess with Gemma Arterton. To me that was perfection. My eyes well up just thinking about it so I’d only recommend it to someone like me who enjoys wallowing in misery

There were actually three versions, Julie Christie, Carey Mulligan and also a TV series from 1998 which is very good, possibly the best because it's in 4 parts. Nathanial Parker as Gabriel Oak. It won a Bafta. And so cheap on DVD at £2.73!
Far From the Madding Crowd on E-Bay

Melanie61 Thu 24-Sept-26 09:43:53

It’s got to be The Shining for me. I still find it as frightening when I watch it today as I did when it was first made. Jack Nicholson is mesmerising and horrifying. I also watched a very interesting documentary on Kubrick and all of the little quirks he put into the film.

Delene100 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:19:33

I loved An Officer and a Gentleman starring Richard Gere. Also Pretty Woman.

Esmay Sat 26-Sept-26 12:48:44

Terms Of Endearment is a very sad film .
I don't want to watch it again .