Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's a movie you love, but you never recommend to anyone?

(89 Posts)
reid88 Wed 16-Sept-26 12:39:14

You ever finish a movie and think, "I love this.. but I'm not telling anyone to watch it? Maybe it's too weird, too personal, too slow, or just hard to explain without sounding weird.

Whatever the reason, it's your gem, but you keep it quiet. What's that movie for you? I wanna watch it.

For me, it's not even about being embarrassed. It's more like... know how I connected with it. but I don't guarantee anyone else will. Maybe the pacing's off, the vibe is super niche, or it just hit me at a weird time in life.

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 21:45:38

Rocketdog6

A good year with Russell Crowe and Marion Cotillard. It has everything in it. But, watching it makes you want a nice red wine. The beginning is difficult to watch but the rest of the film is very enjoyable.

Not heard of that one, perhaps we'll try to find it, thank you.

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 21:50:39

Marg75

I love The Bodyguard with Whitney Houston and Kevin Kostner. The song 'I will always love you' performed by Whitney is spellbinding.

I love Dolly's version, so lovely and gentle.

Whitney belted it out! It was very popular though.

JenniRen Fri 18-Sept-26 21:53:11

Just want to say, what a wonderful thread. Thanks reid88.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 19-Sept-26 02:31:10

Reading above about Zone of Interest reminded me of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. Sounds very similar.

nanna8 Sat 19-Sept-26 07:23:55

A Night to Remember with Kenneth More. Old Titanic movie, I like it better than the ‘modern’ one with Kate Winslet which I reckon is a bit trashy. Another one we sometimes watch is The Wicker Man 1973 version with Britt Ekland, Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward.

Greyduster Sat 19-Sept-26 08:15:39

“The Painted Veil”. A story of love, loss and redemption, based on a novel by W.Somerset Maugham. A rather repressed doctor marries a beautiful woman and when she has an affair he drags her off to a remote part of China to battle an epidemic of cholera as a punishment.

Magenta8 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:20:53

I have many favourite films that I would never recommend to anyone. Top of the list is "Pink Flamingoes."

Magenta8 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:22:49

Sorry that should be "Pink Flamingos."

Flippinheck Sat 19-Sept-26 09:13:43

Sparky51

Its actually Rudolph Hess..not Hoss...just to be correct.

No, it’s Hoss. The OP is correct.

Calendargirl Sat 19-Sept-26 09:55:02

Black Narcissus.
Went The Day Well.
Mildred Pierce.
Kind Hearts And Coronets.
Brief Encounter.

All old films, but so comforting and familiar.

The music, the costumes, the accents, the furniture and houses….

A more modern one, (but still pretty old) is Witness, with Harrison Ford.

It’s got everything, drama, romance, humour, ….

Chestnut Sat 19-Sept-26 10:22:03

Lovetopaint037

Reading above about Zone of Interest reminded me of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. Sounds very similar.

Exactly my thoughts, although I found the ending of The Boy in the Striped pyjamas more moving than anything.

There was a programme about traumatised children of Nazis where a man had actually lived as a boy in an exact same house next to a camp. There was a gate in a wall he was not allowed through, and he eventually went through it as an adult. Very moving.

Seabear Sat 19-Sept-26 11:09:56

Bottle Rocket. An early Wes Anderson film with the Wilson brothers. Weird but not too weird.

Chestnut Sat 19-Sept-26 11:29:08

The film I would recommended but no-one seems to have heard of is If.... (1968) with Malcolm McDowell. The depiction of pubic school life during that period is personal and brutal, and you almost feel like you're there. Then it goes off into fantasy and you're never sure what is real and what is the fantasy, then the two seem to mix. It's an incredible film.

In 2017 a poll of 150 actors, directors, writers, producers and critics for Time Out magazine ranked it the 9th best British film ever.

After seeing his performance Stanley Kubrick chose Malcolm McDowall for Clockwork Orange.

henetha Sat 19-Sept-26 12:13:39

Everyone's talking about Jamie' is another teenage type film I enjoyed but would not recommend in case people think I'm obsessed with teenagers and therefore weird.
But you are right, Tenko, these films are about the parents too.

Calendargirl Sat 19-Sept-26 13:01:51

Chestnut

The depiction of pubic school life

Ugh, sounds most unsavoury!

😳

Magenta8 Sat 19-Sept-26 14:08:15

I have see 'If' Chestnut.

As you know doubt know already, the title was taken, ironically, from the famous poem by Rudyard Kipling. I found it a rather disjointed film and very much of its time when people were starting to challenge the class system.

Visgir1 Sat 19-Sept-26 14:47:28

Marty, it's about a Butcher and a Teacher. It was made in the mid 50's.
I saw it years ago on TV and it was so wonderful. I have never seen it since and would love to. I think it was in Black and White, a low budget film. It was billed as a support film, but it ended up winning the Best film Oscar and 4 other Oscars plus a raft of other awards plus I believe, a BAFTA.
I have never met anyone else who has seen or heard of it.

Fallingstar Sat 19-Sept-26 14:53:03

Night Crawler with Jake Gyllenhaal.
I liked it but know that nobody I know would like it as well.
Is quite dark. But excellently filmed and the acting by Jake is amazing.

Sarnia Sat 19-Sept-26 15:01:39

Flippinheck

Sparky51

Its actually Rudolph Hess..not Hoss...just to be correct.

No, it’s Hoss. The OP is correct.

Thank you Flippinheck

Sparky 51 Rudolph HESS was Hitler's Deputy and Rudolph HOSS was the first and longest serving Kommandant of Aushwitz. 2 different men, both as obnoxious as each other but not the same person.

Chestnut Sat 19-Sept-26 15:45:12

Visgir1

Marty, it's about a Butcher and a Teacher. It was made in the mid 50's.
I saw it years ago on TV and it was so wonderful. I have never seen it since and would love to. I think it was in Black and White, a low budget film. It was billed as a support film, but it ended up winning the Best film Oscar and 4 other Oscars plus a raft of other awards plus I believe, a BAFTA.
I have never met anyone else who has seen or heard of it.

You can see it on Amazon Prime, You Tube, Google, Apple and Sky but it's not free, £3.49 on You Tube for instance. The fact it's not free means it has quality. It gets 96% on Rotten Tomatoes so people seem to like it.

Esmay Sat 19-Sept-26 17:34:43

The book and the film of The Color Purple -brilliant ,but harrowing.

MayBee70 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:26:40

I recently watched a Chinese film called Black Dog. It won the Dogd’Or at Cannes a couple of years ago. My son bought it on Amazon films for me and I’m trying to get hold of the dvd. It’s bleak and funny and the dog looks just like my dog. It’s set in China just before the Beijing Olympics and obviously has subtitles. I’ve wanted to see it ever since it came out and wasn’t disappointed. It made me laugh and cry.

MayBee70 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:29:29

youtu.be/zDUoY7lZiL8

foxie48 Sat 19-Sept-26 19:11:22

Dr Zhivago, the 1965 film and I loved the book too. For me it covers everything I want in a film, great acting, wonderful scenery, evocative music and a doomed love story against a backdrop of tragedy. It's such a sad film and it brings back sad memories of the last time I went to the cinema with my sister and we both cried on the way home.

Esmay Sat 19-Sept-26 21:45:27

Dr Zhivago - wonderful book and film and a real tear jerker.