Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Your best film ever?

(292 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Mon 05-Sep-22 09:25:26

An ad has just flashed up on my phone offering a Private Screening at my local Cineworld Cinema for up to 100 people of my choosing for £120. So a bit like a birthday bowling/ trampolining/ soft play party for a child - but for grown ups.
So it got me thinking - I don’t actually have 100 friends sad so it might be fewer, but what film would I choose ?
While I am thinking - what film was your BEST EVER which you would like to share on a special occasion?
(Presumably the popcorn ? is included )

Calendargirl Mon 05-Sep-22 09:44:20

Trouble is, we all have such different tastes.

Dread to think what I might get invited to.

Mamma Mia!!!

No thank you!

Personally, I like Brief Encounter, but not to everyone’s liking I know.

henetha Mon 05-Sep-22 09:47:16

It's hard to name one film, but if I had to it would be "Death in Venice" with the wonderful Dirk Bogard.

pensionpat Mon 05-Sep-22 09:47:32

So difficult to pick just one. What springs to mind is 3 Billboards outside Ebbing and Manchester by the Sea. But I shall think of lots more.

Zoejory Mon 05-Sep-22 09:47:49

Adventures in Babysitting

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Sep-22 09:52:49

I have my vacuous head on this morning and therefore my favourite film would be The Holiday, it was my late Mums favourite, it is also my sister’s and daughter’s favourite start of the Christmas season film

Redhead56 Mon 05-Sep-22 09:59:16

Home alone 1 for favourite family film but Shaw Shank Redemption a favourite hard hitting film.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 05-Sep-22 10:04:34

Pulp Fiction is my all time favourite. I love Tarrantinto films, although they’re a little violent.

Lucca Mon 05-Sep-22 10:10:26

One flew over the cuckoos nest

Life is beautiful (la vita è bella)

Those are my first thoughts…….( that’s not a film !!)

Gabrielle56 Mon 05-Sep-22 10:18:09

It amuses me sometimes when the trendies say they love brief encounter/Shawshank redemption/ it's a wonderful life etc etc. Knowing full well that they often traipse these out because it's fashionable! My SiL is an avid trend follower regardless of how relevant or true ( it is) not many say Jurassic park/ home alone /Wizard of Oz or any of the popular kidult movies that wowed us all with innovative effects of their time! My faves are Green Mile/gladiator/and the gerrlorious The Sound of Music as the top Banana for me!! Saw it 9 times before 'Binge 'was a noun for movies and they were called " films" know every single word of every song and our choir have a medley we now sing too, alpine heaven......

Gabrielle56 Mon 05-Sep-22 10:19:48

As a P.S.? I very nearly signed up to be a nun on the back of SoM too!!!?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Sep-22 10:23:05

Gabriella56 Sound of Music is still watched in this house.

(My Dad took me to see the original stage show, I just about remember getting dressed up to go to the Theatre, and standing up to see the stage)

MayBee70 Mon 05-Sep-22 10:30:32

Given that the 100 people would include children ( wouldn’t expect people to find babysitters) I’d choose Toy Story 1 which is suitable for all ages. I couldn’t choose the best film I’ve ever seen because that’s usually the last good film I’ve seen.

Ilovecheese Mon 05-Sep-22 11:02:06

It's a toughie but I think Gladiator.
For real oldies, All About Eve.

BigBertha1 Mon 05-Sep-22 11:18:42

Out of Africa but it makes me cry buckets.

MawtheMerrier Mon 05-Sep-22 11:24:29

Gabrielle56

As a P.S.? I very nearly signed up to be a nun on the back of SoM too!!!?

Clumpy shoes in RL and no (swoon) Christopher Plummer. sad

Blinko Mon 05-Sep-22 11:27:44

Lawrence of Arabia. Spectacular scenery and Omar Sharif!

Parsley3 Mon 05-Sep-22 11:36:19

Dr Zhivago for the story, scenery and music and Omar Sharif.

Socksandsocks01 Mon 05-Sep-22 11:43:56

I like war films. The Diar of Anne Frank. Where Eagles Dare. The Heroes of Telemark. The Longest Day and The Battle of the Buldge. But I live Home Alone and Big.. I think The 3 Godfathers is probably my all time favourite though and The Searchers second..

Yammy Mon 05-Sep-22 11:53:12

"A river runs through it". with a gorgeous young Brad Pitt.
Before that definitely "Casablanca", they both make sniff.

Vito Mon 05-Sep-22 12:29:22

Good as it gets , wonderful film.
Three billboards, faultless .

AreWeThereYet Mon 05-Sep-22 13:10:03

The Mission. For the music, the scenery, an actual story, Robert de Niro, Jeremy Irons, and a very young Liam Neeson. But an ending to make you weep.

Strangely I've never met anyone else who has seen it.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Sep-22 13:19:27

It amuses me sometimes when the trendies say they love brief encounter

I didn’t realise I was a ‘trendie’.

I love the film, have done for most of my adult life.

I don’t say I like something because it’s ‘trendy’ to say so.

I’m not that shallow.

PinkCosmos Mon 05-Sep-22 13:28:41

Interview with a vampire with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt

The wizard of Oz

Yammy Mon 05-Sep-22 13:29:37

AreWeThereYet

The Mission. For the music, the scenery, an actual story, Robert de Niro, Jeremy Irons, and a very young Liam Neeson. But an ending to make you weep.

Strangely I've never met anyone else who has seen it.

I've seen it and found it very moving the music is beautiful.