Gransnet forums

Webchats

Michael Mosley blood sugar webchat Thurs 10 March 1-2pm

(160 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:22

UPDATE: Catch up on our webchat with Dr Michael Mosley further down on the thread.

Join Dr Michael Mosley on Thursday 10 March 1-2pm, when he'll be answering your questions on his new book The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. With an estimated weight loss of 14kg in 8 weeks, the book is suitable both for those at risk of raised blood sugar levels, and those who simply want to lose some weight - and keep it off. Add your questions below and don't forget to join us on 10 March for the answers.

Dr Michael Mosley, author of the bestselling 5:2 Fast Diet, reveals a game-changing approach to one of the greatest silent epidemics of our time - raised blood sugar levels.

The food we eat today, high in sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates, is not only making us fat, but is putting us at risk of type 2 diabetes, strokes, dementia, cancer and a lifetime on medication. More than a third of adults in the UK now have raised blood sugar levels and most don’t know it.

In this timely book, Dr Mosley explains why we pile on dangerous abdominal fat and shows us how to shed it, fast. He demolishes common myths, such as the claim that steady weight loss is always better than rapid weight loss and that those who lose weight rapidly will inevitably put it back on.

Buy your copy of The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet on Amazon.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:17:49

Dr Moseley, are you saying that overweight people can't reduce their blood sugar, and lose some stomach fat, simply by following the NHS Eatwell Plate whilst eating less of the calorie dense foods! ie reducing the amount of food/calories consumed over the course of the day? (Appropriate exercise included of course)

And wouldn't they, by doing so, get into eating habits that can be more easily followed throughout life?

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 12:18:01

I'll read your links later wilma, but I don't think the sugar in a banana for example us comparable to the sugar in a piece of sponge cake.
Partly because the sugar in banana isn't rapidly absorbed and partly because bananas provide fibre, but aims & minerals.
Don't panic jingl I think unless you are diabetic or pre diabetic one or two pieces of fruit a day is beneficial.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:18:35

That exclamation mark should have been a question mark. Sorry.

cheerfulgran Fri 26-Feb-16 12:18:43

I find it drains my energy levels and it makes day to day activities difficult
It is socially isolating as you cannot eat out

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 12:20:43

!! Vitamins & minerals.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:21:21

Dr Mosley, don't you think by so-called "experts", some people might get it wrong, and end up eating unhealthily? Not everyone would be following your book to the letter. Especially as most of your recipes seem to be quite ambitious for the average cook.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:23:21

Should have read, "by so-called "experts" introducing more and more (faddy?) 'diets'...."

KatyK Fri 26-Feb-16 12:28:25

Hello

I'm sure that when you were on daytime TV recently, you said that only a
minimum amount of exercise is necessary for good health - for example a few squats and such like whilst brushing our teeth etc. Is this really the case?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:32:39

cheerfulgran don't let them take the joy out of your life.

Emelle19 Fri 26-Feb-16 12:38:04

I'm following Michael Mosley's FastLife diet and it is working quite well. I fast on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and my DH is my diet buddy. The first time in his life he has dieted. Neither of us are massively overweight - if we can lose a stone apiece we'll be happy - and much healthier. I have to say, this is a diet I can live with.

Mamie Fri 26-Feb-16 12:59:14

Hello Michael
Husband and I have been following the LCHF way of eating for over two years now. We both lost significant amounts of weight slowly over the first year and have maintained the lower weight in the second year with BMI of 24 and 21 respectively. Husband is completely out of pre-diabetes and has been taken off statins as his cholesterol level has dropped too. I have been taken off BP tablets as they are no longer necessary. We have no problems maintaining this way of eating long-term and find it a very healthy diet of masses of vegetables, some fruit, meat and fish with healthy fats, olive oil, some butter and cheese (and a glass of dry wine or two).
We are in France and our GP has been delighted, but somewhat astonished by the sustained results of LCHF.
My question is really about the reaction of some health professionals and health organisations to LCHF as it seems that there is still a lot of resistance out there. Why do think this is and do you see a shift in advice now there is real evidence emerging to support the positive impact of low-carbing on
people with raised blood-sugar levels?

kentgran Fri 26-Feb-16 13:13:23

I have a sweet tooth. Bad news. Try reading Davina Mcall's book. It makes sense. Together with a sensible approach to all other food could do the trick

Granny1sland Fri 26-Feb-16 15:53:24

My question for the Doctor, How do I know if my blood sugar level is ok? I can't just go and ask my GP without symptoms of some kind. By the same token, how do you find out what ones cholesterol levels are?

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 16:16:06

Grannyisland if you're over 40 you can request an NHS health check.
I've just had one, invited by my GP practice.
They work out your BMI and the blood tests cover blood sugar levels, cholesterol and other lipid levels, liver, kidney and thyroid function.

grandMattie Fri 26-Feb-16 16:57:30

I'm confused by all this war against "sugar" but using maple syrup, honey, palm sugar and various other substitutes. Surely, sugar is sugar? It is just whether it is refined or reduced to fructose and glucose [like honey]. I also understand fructose is a big No-no... is that right?

Surely just eating fewer processed foods, more vegetables and keeping a properly balanced diet would be the right way to go. "Diets" only make one feel miserable. I try to keep to the epigram - "Eat well, less food, mostly vegetables".

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 17:02:14

You're right grandmattie, syrup, honey etc are sugar just like the white granulated stuff and fructose is just as bad.
I get cross when these celebrities make out in their cookery books that 'natural' sugars are harmless - they just don't understand the chemistry.

Izabella Fri 26-Feb-16 19:01:33

For anyone thinking this is all just poppycock and a new craze, the advice is evidence based. This is quite close to home as recently I had early symptoms of raised blood sugars which I immediately recognised. I bought a glucose meter from Amazon and was horrified at the results. I immediately implemented a new way of eating. I initially tested both fasting and post prandial blood sugars to see exactly what spiked my levels up. I have gone from full diabetic, to pre-diabetic, to having completely normal blood sugar ranges. 28 pounds down in weight. Normal hbANC1 so feeling smug!!

I am also running over 8k twice a week and cycling when I can. Not bad at 65. I was advised to walk but hate it. So I don't. Sometimes it takes a shock to change things.

I would like Dr Mosley to know his literature helped me to fine tune what was originally a highly personal and self informed approach due to my previous career and professional training.

etheltbags1 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:00:55

Im pre diabetic but I just cant diet, if I don't eat every two or three hours I get lightheaded and bad tempered. I don't have diabetes as my regular blood tests show but I just cant stop craving sweet things despite buying low sugar items.

Pamish Fri 26-Feb-16 20:40:41

I read the book straight through and can see the sense of it, especially given the huge difficulty in getting away from carbs - sugars and starches - pushed at us from all directions.

I got very cross to find nearly all the recipes are for meat or fish. ALL the supper recipes are meat-based. Q: What about the 10% of the population that is totally or mostly vegetarian? Yes there are veggy recipes, but to me this shows a lack of consciousness by the esteemed doctor of the need to rethink our diets for both health and save-the-planet reasons.

Also the index is a bit crap. Needs several searches to get to most of the recipes.

Granny1sland Fri 26-Feb-16 21:28:20

Thank you Jane, I didn't know that you can request a health check. I am 70, so should qualify!

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 21:38:22

Grannyisland info here about how to get one.

Marmight Fri 26-Feb-16 21:46:28

When I was about 14, (some few years ago!)I went with my Mum to a talk given by a Doctor who was also an MP - can't remember her name - entitled 'Sugar - the 20th Century Killer'. The title has stuck in my brain since then and over the years, as I get stuck into a KitKat or a piece of cake, something in my head repeats '20th C Killer'. I have found that as I have aged, my tastes have changed and I don't crave chocolate and sweet things so much, in fact, I can take them or leave them. The 5:2 diet has certainly helped with this, so perhaps the next step is to give the Sugar Diet a go!

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 22:02:15

I wonder if it was Edith Summerskill, Marmight.

I read 'Pure, White and Deadly
How Sugar is Killing Us and What We Can Do to Stop it' by John Yudkin in 1972 when I was a final year student.
So it's certainly not a new message but one that the food industry has somehow managed to ensure hasn't been heard, until very recently.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 22:15:05

I will never believe that the odd chunky kit Kat is ever going to hurt me. Hasn't done so far. What's the point in robbing our later life years of all simple pleasures?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 22:16:52

Moderation is the key.