Gransnet forums

Webchats

Michael Mosley blood sugar webchat Thurs 10 March 1-2pm

(160 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:22

UPDATE: Catch up on our webchat with Dr Michael Mosley further down on the thread.

Join Dr Michael Mosley on Thursday 10 March 1-2pm, when he'll be answering your questions on his new book The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. With an estimated weight loss of 14kg in 8 weeks, the book is suitable both for those at risk of raised blood sugar levels, and those who simply want to lose some weight - and keep it off. Add your questions below and don't forget to join us on 10 March for the answers.

Dr Michael Mosley, author of the bestselling 5:2 Fast Diet, reveals a game-changing approach to one of the greatest silent epidemics of our time - raised blood sugar levels.

The food we eat today, high in sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates, is not only making us fat, but is putting us at risk of type 2 diabetes, strokes, dementia, cancer and a lifetime on medication. More than a third of adults in the UK now have raised blood sugar levels and most don’t know it.

In this timely book, Dr Mosley explains why we pile on dangerous abdominal fat and shows us how to shed it, fast. He demolishes common myths, such as the claim that steady weight loss is always better than rapid weight loss and that those who lose weight rapidly will inevitably put it back on.

Buy your copy of The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet on Amazon.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 26-Feb-16 22:30:46

jings do you have a weight problem or been advised that you are at risk of developing diabetes?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 22:54:45

Why? Are you fat?

Marmight Fri 26-Feb-16 23:57:49

Thanks JaneA. It was Edith Summerskill. As you say, not a recent concept - rather like the wheel. At least at the advent of the wheel, sugar was not the problem it is today!

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 27-Feb-16 02:09:28

jings yes, I am fat and I have been overweight all my adult life. I was diagnosed with MS last year and have been trying to change my diet as part of some changes to my lifestyle. My FiL is an insulin dependent diabetic and I've been accompanying him to his medical appointments and that started my interest in the effects of sugar on the human body. I am trying to eliminate sugar from my diet, so I am interested in Michael's book.

I asked my question to you because I wondered what your interest in Michael's book is, as your posts give the impression you don't believe in what he is saying.

Anya Sat 27-Feb-16 08:08:47

There is no doubt that some people can handle sugars/carbs better than others so some people are more at risk of developing type 2 diabetes than others.
I think that's why Wilma asked.
That said, we all have access to eating anything we fancy and some simply allow themselves to overindulge.

pollyparrot Sat 27-Feb-16 08:36:39

Yes those who store fat around their middle are more at risk. I think over eating is a complex issue. Anya is right we do have ample amounts of food available to us all the time. Supermarkets lay their stores out to tempt us to buy and sugar is added to a lot of things to make them taste better.

For years we were told to eat low fat, so many products are low fat but high in sugar/carbs. Now we're told it's sugar/carbs we should reduce. We were warned against eggs because of high cholesterol, yet now it's fine to eat them often.

Many people struggle with their eating and put on weight. Information about exactly how you should eat is confusing. Some advocate three or four meals a day, with a good breakfast to start with. Other advice is to fast, skip breakfast or do the two days fasting diet.

Emotional eating is common, as after all eating is a huge pleasure, it's not just fuel. So some people reach for the comfort food when they feel low.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Feb-16 09:03:40

Wilma I know we shouldn't really be chatting on this thread as it is web-chat, but you are right. I don't like tv celeb type of health advice in the main. I prefer NHS guidance.

I am sorry to hear you have MS and I sincerely hope you are getting good care from your doctors. flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Feb-16 09:07:03

Re my weight, as you seem interested, I am just on the border between normal and over-weight. So I do have to be careful.

Anya Sat 27-Feb-16 09:16:01

Jingl I'm sure I read somewhere that it is actually healthier to be just a couple of lbs overweight as we age. Perhaps MM can comment on this?

janeainsworth Sat 27-Feb-16 09:46:46

anya I have heard that too, but there is also evidence that a restricted calorie diet prolongs life. Perhaps Michael could address that too.
Wilma I hope you don't mind my asking, but have you found that cutting out sugar helps your MS symptoms? I would certainly do as you are doing if I had a similar diagnosis. I hope it's helping you. flowers

pollyparrot Sat 27-Feb-16 10:05:20

Yes I have heard that being a bit overweight for us older ladies, can be a protective factor for oesteoporosis.

So Dr Mosley, what do we do?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 27-Feb-16 11:09:06

I try to keep my DH just a tinsy bit hungry. smile It's good for him.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 27-Feb-16 12:54:54

Jings Anya is right about why I was asking you about your weight. I agree about celebrity type advice, but I make an exception for Michael Mosely because I follow the Trust Me I'm a Doctor series which is science based research. The latest series covered the effect of sugar and a range of sweeteners - something in which I was already interested.

Personally I think the NHS is slow to update health advice and too often reacts to a crisis, but it can adapt to suit personal cases which is good news (although that can be a slow process too). On the subject of sugar I think the advice is ridiculous. The current FSA recommendations are up to 70g per day for men and 50g for women. This is far too high and will undoubtedly be revised downward in due course.

jane tbh I am struggling to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet because I haven't broken the craving yet or found a satisfactory substitute. I'm veggie too which doesn't help in the overall approach of LCHF. It's a complete lifestyle change for us though and we accept it will take time. I have noticed the arthritis in my hands is much worse when I have been eating/drinking sugar laden stuff. I didn't expect to notice such a difference.

janeainsworth Sat 27-Feb-16 13:49:34

wilma I'm sure you will find over time that your craving does reduce, and that things that you used to think weren't particularly sweet, now seem perhaps even too sweet.
It does take time though. I wonder if you are being a bit too hard on yourself cutting out all fruit?
I've reduced my (non-milk extrinsic) sugar intake drastically since retiring 4 years ago & aim for not more than 30g a day. Like you I've found that the joint pain and stiffness I was getting has reduced significantly.

Lazigirl Sat 27-Feb-16 14:08:37

My question to Michael is that on Diabetes UK website they have "Evidence based Nutrition Guidelines. May 2011". Here it is recommended amongst other things that eating red meat is associated with an increased risk of developing T2 diabetes. Whole grain foods, dietary fibre and low fat diet are protective, and the most important protective factor is weight loss. "There is no evidence for most effective dietary approach over another to achieve weight loss and prevent T2 diabetes". They do not seem to emphasise restricting carbs, but eating in moderation as part of overall weight reduction plan. Is this at odds with your recommendations and if so why?

Lazigirl Sat 27-Feb-16 14:15:50

I would add that I intend following the 8-week blood sugar diet because it does concentrate your mind when you are diagnosed with pre diabetes and it's worth giving it a go. Apparently there were estimated to be 7 million pre diabetics in UK (2009) many apparently undiagnosed. (Diabetes UK). Risk rises with age. sad

Anya Sat 27-Feb-16 14:24:25

Diabetes UK are sadly out-of-date with their recommendations. I suppose it's hard for them to accept new evidence which means they've probably been giving out wrong advice for decades hmm

Mamie Sat 27-Feb-16 14:45:28

The Diabetes UK forum is an interesting read though - plenty of low-carbers there!
Have just downloaded the 8 week sugar diet book. Love the recipes, lots of ideas and pretty straightforward.

Anya Sat 27-Feb-16 14:47:35

Yes, I agree some good recipes Mamie

Mamie Sat 27-Feb-16 14:50:34

Also very interested by this quote from Dr David Unwin, about the book. I remember reading an article about the work done in this GP practice and thinking how impressive it sounded.
"As a GP I have been recommending a dietary approach similar to one described in this book for some time. As a result many of my patients have lost weight, become healthier, and we now spend £27,000 less per year on drugs for diabetes than the average GP practice in our area." -- Dr David Unwin, GP and winner of the NHS 'Innovator of the year' Award for the North West.

Anya Sat 27-Feb-16 14:52:49

I always like to see someone acknowledge his work as I know him from when we lived in Southport.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 27-Feb-16 17:54:18

jane I did start out eating no fruit at all (as per dietdoctors.com), but found it too hard and introduced mixed berries daily - usually frozen summerfruits. We do buy fresh berries when we like the look of them and last year I grew some raspberries, so they'll come again this year (will grow more too). I'll also have an apple or a pear if I feel like it, so I'm less strict than I was. I've had lots of support on the LCHF thread on here too (waves to Mamie). One day at a time. wink

There's a whole sub forum for lower carbers on Diabetes UK and I find it very handy. That's where I found out about Lidl's high protein low carb rolls, so I can even have a delicious bread roll now! grin

If anyone saw the 3 part series on the BBC recently called Doctor in the House, they'll remember GP Dr Rangan Chatterjee advised the two families with a diabetic parent on eliminating sugar from their diets. One ended up free of diabetes and the other's diabetes was back under control and he was even doing the two day fast by the end. Both families were living virtually sugar free and enjoying their food.

The powerful food industry will be fighting against this change in dietary advice, especially as 85% of sugar consumption now comes from sugar in food and drink, not table sugar.

nightowl Sat 27-Feb-16 18:24:13

I have to echo what Pamish asked - what about those of us who are vegetarian? If it's true that nearly all the recipes in the book contain meat or fish, and all the supper recipes are meat based, then it's a non-starter for me. It makes me very sad that an increased consumption of meat and fish should be promoted as part of a healthy lifestyle. It is my belief that we generally eat more than enough protein in the western world, and that we would do well by our fellow animals if we stopped consuming so many of them and accepting the awful practices involved.

Mamie Sat 27-Feb-16 18:34:56

Waving back Wilma! My thought on reading the recipes was how easily they could be adapted for vegetarians. The addition of pulses, legumes etc make it a lot more flexible imo.
Just had delicious spicy mackerel, kale and spinach from the garden and chickpea flour fritters for dinner. How can people say this way of eating is unhealthy?
Should probably head back to the LCHF thread now, so MM has some questions to answer. grin

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 27-Feb-16 19:12:45

I agree with Pamish and nightowl, so that's three vegetarians just on this thread. There's also some evidence eating a vegetarian diet can result in slightly lower blood sugar levels.

Come on Dr M, what about all the vegetarians out there?