Gransnet forums

Webchats

Michael Mosley blood sugar webchat Thurs 10 March 1-2pm

(160 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:22

UPDATE: Catch up on our webchat with Dr Michael Mosley further down on the thread.

Join Dr Michael Mosley on Thursday 10 March 1-2pm, when he'll be answering your questions on his new book The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. With an estimated weight loss of 14kg in 8 weeks, the book is suitable both for those at risk of raised blood sugar levels, and those who simply want to lose some weight - and keep it off. Add your questions below and don't forget to join us on 10 March for the answers.

Dr Michael Mosley, author of the bestselling 5:2 Fast Diet, reveals a game-changing approach to one of the greatest silent epidemics of our time - raised blood sugar levels.

The food we eat today, high in sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates, is not only making us fat, but is putting us at risk of type 2 diabetes, strokes, dementia, cancer and a lifetime on medication. More than a third of adults in the UK now have raised blood sugar levels and most don’t know it.

In this timely book, Dr Mosley explains why we pile on dangerous abdominal fat and shows us how to shed it, fast. He demolishes common myths, such as the claim that steady weight loss is always better than rapid weight loss and that those who lose weight rapidly will inevitably put it back on.

Buy your copy of The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet on Amazon.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Mar-16 14:10:55

Still. Got a nice last mention of his book in. smile

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 10-Mar-16 14:54:56

Didn't get back in time, but read through the answers now. Will have a look at the website and I will probably get the book. The more I find out about this whole approach to healthy eating, the more interesting it gets. As a life long sugar addict, I need to find new ways of enjoying my food, otherwise I will always struggle.

durhamjen Thu 10-Mar-16 15:08:39

Another vegetarian here.

Strangely enough the Newcastle 800 calorie diet says no meat, dairy or fish, so Michael Mosley didn't take notice of it.

www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf

Lyndyn Thu 10-Mar-16 20:16:10

My blood sugar count is one off pre diabetes, a rise of 5 points in 5 months. I am not overweight, my BMI is in the middle of the 'right' weight band and my waist measurement is half my height!

I exercise regularly and consider myself to eat a healthy diet, little meat but chicken, fish and vegetarian meals. Alcohol is a 1/2 bottle of wine a week.

Since 2001 we changed our eating habits considerably and have stuck to it.

My father had type 2 later in life and he wasn't overweight either, so my Dr thinks it is most probably genetic.

I can diet further but I am a size 12, and not sure this is wise or would be effective in terms of not developing type 2!
I also have osteoporosis and early onset arthritis!

MargaretX Fri 11-Mar-16 10:09:14

I was told by my doctor that if I feel my blood sugar level falling to eat a boiled sweet or a lump of sugar. If taken in time the levels become normal and you dont have to splurge on a 300+ Cal snack.
I've been doing that for 20 years and am not fat ( to use an old fashioned word)
The bit about restricting calories to lengthen life were experiments on flies. They only have a few days of life and were happy to live a day longer, but these kind of experiments are not suitable for humans.
If Mr Mosley bases anything on these then it shows he is concerned about his bank balance and not his patients or followers.

Anya Fri 11-Mar-16 22:23:38

Jen The Newcastle diet experiment for your information.

Under close supervision of a medical team, 11 people who had developed diabetes later in life were put on an extreme diet of just 600 calories a day consisting of liquid diet drinks plus 200 calories of non-starchy vegetables. They were matched to a control group of people without diabetes and then monitored over eight weeks. Insulin production from their pancreas and fat content in the liver and pancreas were studied.

Anya Fri 11-Mar-16 22:30:29

The reason other foods were not permitted was to control exactly the calorific value of the food being eaten in the simplest way possible. It isn't that other foods can't be eaten but for the purpose of that experiment it was necessary to hold as much constant as possible.

So your quip about MM not taking 'notice of it' is way off.

durhamjen Fri 11-Mar-16 23:06:35

I know, Anya. I read it. Ages ago.
My point was that it was vegetarian.
Have you checked?
Actually, it said no meat, no fish, no dairy, but the French onion soup had beef stock.
So it's not exactly way off, is it?

Do you think the first thing Michael Mosley asked was if he could add meat and fish?

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 11-Mar-16 23:12:45

MargaretX Michael said most of the research into the effects of intermittent fasting has been carried out on mice. This is backed up by information published in 2013 on the NHS website here. This is an extract

Is there any evidence intermittent fasting increases lifespan?

There is quite a wide range of work on the effects of IF on combating the effects of ageing, but almost all of these studies involved either rats, mice or monkeys. One big problem with studies in animals – particularly rodents – is that they are only expected to live for a few years. While this makes them ideal subjects for longevity studies, carrying out similar, more useful experiments in humans, requires decades-long research to gain credible results.

I don't understand why you mention the fruit fly study, or eating a 300+ cal snack. confused