Gransnet forums

Webchats

Michael Mosley blood sugar webchat Thurs 10 March 1-2pm

(159 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Feb-16 13:01:22

UPDATE: Catch up on our webchat with Dr Michael Mosley further down on the thread.

Join Dr Michael Mosley on Thursday 10 March 1-2pm, when he'll be answering your questions on his new book The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet. With an estimated weight loss of 14kg in 8 weeks, the book is suitable both for those at risk of raised blood sugar levels, and those who simply want to lose some weight - and keep it off. Add your questions below and don't forget to join us on 10 March for the answers.

Dr Michael Mosley, author of the bestselling 5:2 Fast Diet, reveals a game-changing approach to one of the greatest silent epidemics of our time - raised blood sugar levels.

The food we eat today, high in sugar and easily digestible carbohydrates, is not only making us fat, but is putting us at risk of type 2 diabetes, strokes, dementia, cancer and a lifetime on medication. More than a third of adults in the UK now have raised blood sugar levels and most don’t know it.

In this timely book, Dr Mosley explains why we pile on dangerous abdominal fat and shows us how to shed it, fast. He demolishes common myths, such as the claim that steady weight loss is always better than rapid weight loss and that those who lose weight rapidly will inevitably put it back on.

Buy your copy of The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet on Amazon.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Feb-16 13:41:24

Oh heck. Now I do have to bite my tongue.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Feb-16 13:42:15

Why is this book "timely"? Is he running out of money? hmm

Elegran Thu 25-Feb-16 14:05:49

Perhaps it is well timed for Gransnet because there has been discussion of food high in sugar and carbohydrate levels?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Feb-16 14:06:03

Why do the reviews of the book say, for example, "two weeks in and over a stone lost"? And what happens after the eight weeks?

And how can he be so sure the widely accepted advice that slow and steady weight loss is healthiest, is a "myth"? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 25-Feb-16 14:07:03

This book advocates leaving out a whole food group. Gorilla breath anybody?

gillybob Thu 25-Feb-16 14:13:45

Michael I'm afraid I find it hard to agree with your statement that it is a myth that slow and steady weight loss is healthiest.

Anyone (considerably) overweight could crash diet and lose a stone or two in a short space of time although chances are they would not be able to keep it up. By cutting out a lot of alcohol, sugary drinks , sweets, biscuits, cake, crisps etc. the weight would drop off very quickly but pile back on as soon as the "normal" diet is resumed.

Surely the best kind of weight loss is to train yourself over a longer period of time to eat healthier.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Feb-16 14:25:32

I have a lot of time for Michael Mosely and the book follows on nicely from the latest series of Trust Me I'm a Doctor which gave details of ground breaking new research about dieting, sugar and sweeteners.

My question is

I'm already trying to follow the 'Swedish Diet' i.e. Low Carb Healthy Fat (dietdoctor.com), but I really struggle with a sweet tooth and miss eating a couple of pieces of fruit every day. Have you any tips for healthy snacks other than nuts?

crun Thu 25-Feb-16 15:18:27

14kg in 8 weeks is a deficit of nearly 2000kcal/day, is that safe? I read a study by Sours et al which suggested that such extremely low calorie diets risk sudden death from arrhythmia.

Re: low carb, the FSA recommends 35% of total calories from fat and 50% from carb. In 2008 my fat intake was 35% and I had a Xanthelasma, but by 2011 I had reduced my fat intake to 25%, and the Xanthelasma had gone, with a cholesterol level of 4.48. Since then my fat intake has crept back up to 30%, and my cholesterol is now 5.26.

It doesn't seem that my interests would be best served by a high fat low carb diet. (My free sugar intake meets the recommended 5% limit.)

Spidergran5 Thu 25-Feb-16 15:28:14

Forgetting about the weight loss, how much sugar do you think we should have for a normal diet?

pollyparrot Thu 25-Feb-16 17:15:47

I'm a fan of Dr Mosley. I find his advice tends to be based in science rather than opinions.

Teetime Thu 25-Feb-16 17:24:42

I've certainly enjoyed his TV programmes so I will probably read this book.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 25-Feb-16 17:27:06

Sugar has no useful purpose in our diet.

Lazigirl Thu 25-Feb-16 20:00:46

I've just been diagnosed as pre diabetic so thought I'd try advice in this book. I don't necessarily want to lose weight but lower blood sugar. MM says it worked for him and he had type 2 diabetes so unless he's telling porkies it is worth giving it a shot. The proof's in the pudding. ha ha.......... Will think of questions to ask him once I'm into the diet.

Deedaa Thu 25-Feb-16 21:09:23

DH has type 2 diabetes and recently read a book by an American doctor who recommended the Glycaemic Load Diet. Basically veruy low in starch. So far the results have been very good, his blood glucose readings are well within the normal range and he is using far less insulin.

pollyparrot Fri 26-Feb-16 10:15:25

Two questions for Michael.

I have a fatty liver, caused by having too much fat around my middle. Will your diet address this for me?

Am I at risk of having type II Diabetes?

Thanks.

princesspamma Fri 26-Feb-16 10:15:59

My question is: Did you get fed up with your creation, the 5:2 diet? You were extolling it's many and varied virtues, but now you appear to have moved on and be evangelising just as hard about this new one; are we to take from this that you are focused, as are many others, on simply jumping on to the bandwagon and demonising the next new 'bad guy'? What new diet might we expect from you in another couple of years, I wonder?

Cotswoldgran Fri 26-Feb-16 10:24:05

I totally agree that reducing sugar is a good idea, and having been doing this for a while with great success, (2 1/2 stones lost so far) my only concern is people replacing sugar with artificial sweeteners, I have also abandoned the use of sweeteners when I noticed my arthritis pain improving when I stopped using them, what do you think about artificial sweeteners? I now notice that stopping these also has reduced my craving for sweet foods.
What really bugs me is the addition of sugar to products unnecessarily such as ham having sugar and phosphates injected,is it any wonder that there is an obesity epidemic?
I do wish that the government would legislate against this, what is your opinion on government intervention, this must be costing the NHS in the long run?

Cotswoldgran Fri 26-Feb-16 10:26:54

Just a question, can anyone tell me how to view the web chat on the day?

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 26-Feb-16 10:35:21

princesspamma Mosely's latest book is aimed at pre-diabetics, those with T2 diabetes and anyone concerned about their blood sugar levels. The clue is in the title. Losing weight is not the primary reason for this book, it's lowering your blood sugar levels.

The diet dovetails with the 5:2 diet, they are not exclusive.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-16 10:46:00

So glad you asked that, Cotswoldgran!
wilma I'm wondering why you can't have any fruit. My understanding was that although fruit juices are bad (the fructose going directly to the liver and stored as fat) in whole fruit there is much less of it, and it is contained within the cells of the fruit, so that it is only slowly and partially absorbed , so that you avoid the harmful sugar spike that you get from drinking fruit juice.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 11:50:21

Don't you just come to this thread? The web chat continues on the end of it.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 26-Feb-16 12:00:10

jane basically fruit is like the chocolate of the food world. It's full of sugar and when you are trying to eliminate sugar from your diet, fruit should be an occasional treat. That's the theory anyway behind this approach to eating. It's also one of the things I struggle with because I love fruit. I have started eating berries every day with my Greek yogurt and that helps, but I do miss the range of fruit I used to eat.

It's important to realise this approach to eating stems from doctors in Sweden with diabetic patients who realised it was a healthy way for anyone to eat.

Dr Andreas Eenfeldt gave a presentation in the USA in 2011 that explains why obesity became an epidemic in less than 30 years. I watched it on YouTube and found it a revelation. You can watch it here. It is almost an hour long, but I thought it was excellent. The Diet Doctor website gives masses of information, including lots of shorter videos. I'm sure this is the healthiest way to eat, but I am such a sugar junkie that it is not an easy option for me.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:05:46

So, does this mean that apples, pears, kiwi fruit, bananas, figs, melon, avocado, cherries, etc. etc. are actually bad for us? But strawberries, raspberries and the like are ok?

cobblers Totally confused now.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Feb-16 12:07:11

I realise you can get fat by eating too many apples, or any fruit, but that applies to all food with calories.