Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Work v Furlough

(66 Posts)
Fflaurie Mon 20-Jul-20 07:38:24

I feel left out, unreasonable? I am a key worker in my 60s. I have worked ever day during this crisis for no extra money or acknowledgement. I feel quite jealous of younger people who have been furloughed and in actual fact have had four or five months off in the glorious weather we have had. I am tired, not just tired, but Marks and Spencer tired with another 3 years to work until I can claim my pension. I want time out to recharge my batteries and get paid for it. I am lucky to have a job and get paid yes, but I am so exhausted that I dont know if I will live to claim any pension. Thank you for listening.

Urmstongran Mon 20-Jul-20 07:58:28

Sorry to hear you’re feeling low. You’ve done incredibly well throughout a tough time.

Our son in law has just returned to work last week. His circumstances meant he fell between two stools during lockdown which meant he wasn’t entitled to furlough pay nor Universal Credit - so it’s been a difficult 12 weeks for him and his wife and children.

Not everyone has been living the life of Riley and my post might help alleviate some of your annoyance.

Hopefully you might be able to put in for some annual leave soon and take a well earned rest!
?

Calendargirl Mon 20-Jul-20 08:05:43

Totally understand your grievances.

I particularly feel for supermarket workers who have had to keep working throughout the crisis, and must have felt especially vulnerable at the start of lockdown.

How long are others going to be reluctant to return? Where would their food and groceries have come from if none of them had felt it was safe to work?

Riverwalk Mon 20-Jul-20 08:43:17

Those on furlough are not responsible for your exhaustion!

After the scheme ends many/most are likely to face redundancy - so don't be jealous of them.

Presumably you've built up some weeks of paid annual leave over the past few months, so why not have a holiday and recharge your batteries.

gillybob Mon 20-Jul-20 08:44:35

Please Don’t feel jealous Fflaurie . Many of those young people on furlough won’t even have jobs to go back to now that the scheme is drawing to an end.

I’m 58 and like you I’ve worked right through this although I’m not a key worker . I run my own small business employing myself, my DH (when he is well) and 3 other people. I originally furloughed 2 employees as we’ve barely had any work for almost 4 months now, but I have since brought them back part time (for 90% of their pay). I haven’t seen a penny of wages since March as I couldn’t furlough myself and I needed one of my lads to help me with the technical stuff so his wages have been the priority.

To say we are struggling is an understatement. I am living in a massive overdraft secured in my own home .

I do understand how hard it is to work when you feel exhausted (I’m 58 and working more hours than I ever have) and there will be no retirement for me for at least another 9.5 years .

I just feel for all these youngsters who pretty soon won’t have jobs at all.

Please don’t think I am trying to make you feel guilty it’s just that everything isn’t always as it seems .

Riverwalk Mon 20-Jul-20 08:46:17

How long are others going to be reluctant to return? Where would their food and groceries have come from if none of them had felt it was safe to work?

Furloughed staff are not 'reluctant' to return - they have been laid off. Working from home staff have been doing just that, working from home.

gillybob Mon 20-Jul-20 08:49:55

I was chatting to my new neighbour over the fence yesterday. He works for a very large company (won’t say which one) and he was telling me that this week he (personally) has to make 250 people redundant . They are all currently furloughed .

He was very upset at the prospect .

travelsafar Mon 20-Jul-20 08:54:37

Like the OP my sister a key worker in her 60's had worked long and extra hours doing really unsociable hours, 5pm till 1pm and all day Sunday. She works distributing medications to chemist, hospitals etc. The only reward they received was some packs of paracetamol, laughingly she said 'in case they had a headache or pain so they didnt ring in sick'!!! I worry about her all the time as she has various health issues but not bad enough to have to shield. A few years ago she would have retired at 60 and we would be spending time together as two retired sisters enjoying the twilight of our years, as it is she now has to wait another 5 years like many others. sad

ayse Mon 20-Jul-20 09:06:52

I sympathise with OP. Since lockdown I’ve reverted to the role of full time daily career, Monday to Friday, 8.30 till 5.30, plus the role of housekeeper. I’ve been living at my daughter’s and caring for my twin grandchildren whilst attempting some home schooling. It’s a full time job! I’m lucky! I’ve just had a week off camping and I’m back to it today.

At 68, it’s kept me going with lots of company but weariness has set in. Lots of stuff not being done at home but it’s been better than being locked away or catching Covid. We are the lucky ones.

At least we aren’t suffering the deprivations of war. Just imagine how that must be for millions across the world. Just be kind to yourself and enjoy any relaxation time you do have.

Everyone has tried to do their bit, so well done to you.

Hetty58 Mon 20-Jul-20 09:09:24

I agree with Riverwalk in that I wouldn't assume a reluctance to return to work. A fear of contracting the virus is quite understandable, though.

All the parties, BBQs, beach-going bank holiday behaviour (by some) has been sickening - but it's what a lot of people do when they're not at work.

CassieJ Mon 20-Jul-20 09:43:04

I have been furloughed since March on 80% of my wage. I am also in my 60's, so it isn't just younger ones furloughed.
I never asked for this, my employer needed staff to go on furlough for the benefit of the business. At the moment I am due to go back to work at the end of August, but that could change.

Furlough isn't a holiday as some people seem to think it is. Furlough shaming seems to be the new benefit bashing.

I am not living the life of Riley. Yes, the weather at times has been good. But I can't afford to do anything or go anywhere, and for the first couple of months we weren't allowed to go anywhere anyway. My mental health has really been affected by all this and I am struggling daily with that.
I am not making any savings by not being at work, if anything it is costing me more to be at home, on a reduced wage.
I walk to work, so no cost benefits there. I get a free meal and all drinks at work, so again no savings there.
I would rather be in work.

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-20 09:47:39

I feel rather peed off, too.
Nobody's fault, but I've been working throughout (zero hour contract)

A big fuss about children of key workers, but back to normal now; school shut, me on my way to work, nobody to look after grandson.

Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 09:53:05

I said to DH yesterday that I really do think they should lower State Pension age back down again to 65 (at least) this releasing jobs for younger people.

There may be fewer jobs around in the future so why not pay older people their pensions instead of paying younger people who may not be able to get a job.

I'm sorry you feel so tired and down but I am not surprised. Well done for helping keep the country going at a difficult time and yes, you do deserve a break.
???

Ilovecheese Mon 20-Jul-20 09:54:56

Well said CassieJ you are right about furlough bashing being the new benefit bashing. Furlough is causing a great deal of uncertainty and anxiety as people wait to see whether they will be taken back on or made redundant.
It is certainly not the fault of furloughed workers that the pension age has been increased .

keriku Mon 20-Jul-20 10:00:17

I work in a theatre. We were furloughed very quickly but now have absolutely no idea when we can safely return to work, in fact many of us fear we will lose our jobs completely. Ironically, I was made redundant from a job I loved last year around this time and decided to go to this job as I was fairly certain it was a secure post! No one is safe at the moment. Many local retail shops are simply not reopening, including the Cancer charity shop which has been here over 30 years! This has been a very hard time for a lot of families. One of my colleagues died from Covid 19. Just tragic!

Peardrop50 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:02:49

Fflaurie I hope you feel appreciated although that isn't going to help your feeling of exhaustion. The vast majority feel nothing but awareness and appreciation of key workers who have heroically kept the rest of us going.
There are a few who have enjoyed furlough, flouted the rules and given the impression of it being a jolly holiday but from what I can see and hear the majority would rather be at work, contributing and feeling secure in their jobs.
I hope you manage a break soon and make the most of it with some long hot baths in lavender, a few glasses of what you fancy and sleep and more sleep.
We have a long way to go on this journey together and I thank you for the part you play.

growstuff Mon 20-Jul-20 10:11:16

Callistemon

I said to DH yesterday that I really do think they should lower State Pension age back down again to 65 (at least) this releasing jobs for younger people.

There may be fewer jobs around in the future so why not pay older people their pensions instead of paying younger people who may not be able to get a job.

I'm sorry you feel so tired and down but I am not surprised. Well done for helping keep the country going at a difficult time and yes, you do deserve a break.
???

It won't be reduced back to 65. There are already 65 year olds who are having to wait, so there would need to be backpaid pensions. The argument about releasing jobs isn't valid because that time has already gone.

PS. I wish people would stop exaggerating. The current maximum state pension age for anybody is currently 67.

EllanVannin Mon 20-Jul-20 10:24:25

My GS has also worked through from day one as he's in the food supply area for Morrisons and M&S. They've been so busy that a dozen or so others were brought in to keep supplies going.
The workers were given a financial incentive in the form of a thankyou for continuing their work and my GS was delighted to have received the unexpected " bonus ". This was via Morrisons who showed how much they valued their staff.

He is one of the lucky and fortunate young men who still have jobs and having been there a few years he's still grateful to receive wages at the end of the week knowing how things stand in this world of uncertainty.

D is furloughed and at 57 still has her job secured. She was in the high risk group in security/ border control and has always been looked after by her company who fear that her return won't be until October.

In a bittersweet twist, a sadness within the family forced a fast-track situation for her to become a foster parent to 3 of her GC for which she is being paid has helped enormously, financially, although the majority of payments go towards the children, but it also brought help and assistance from social workers to establish 3 extra bedrooms.

Everything seemed to have turned on its head since March but is levelling out now and thank goodness for the summer months that everything's happened as it's been better / easier to cope with than the dark dreary days of winter.

SillyNanny321 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:26:57

You sound like my DiL who being a Key worker has had no time off during Lockdown, she is shattered. DS was Furloughed for a few weeks then told he had to go back to work. No choice really as bills have to be paid. My DGS has tried to understand what is going on & is now a scared 9year old. DGD seems to have sailed through but who knows what will be buried in her 4 yr old mind to be released in future. Those like OP & my DiL are ones who have suffered to almost breaking point but sadly CV19 does not care. Told DiL what my Nan used to say 'keep your chin up dear, the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train'. Hopefully it will not be. Try to take some time for yourself Fflaurie & I hope you will feel more yourself soon. Flowers

SillyNanny321 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:28:34

Suppposed to be pic of flowers, didnt work ?

Flakesdayout Mon 20-Jul-20 10:33:34

Fflaurie. Thank you for your hard work and persistence and I do hope that you get some well earned rest soon. Can you take some annual leave?

My OH and his son both worked for the same company and were both furloughed. It was great for the first couple of weeks and then became quite worrying. Eventually my OH returned to work SIL was still furloughed then lost his job. My OH has taken a pay cut, the equivalent of about £45 per week, but he still has a job. As for me I am on long term sick and my job is still there at the moment. I have been told that if I do not return by November I will lose my job. It is a community based role so I am at risk should I return.

Both my sons have worked at home, one DIL is also working at home. The other DIL was short term furloughed and then returned to her job. She is now at risk of possible redundancy. They all said at the time that it was unfair that they were working and not being paid to be off but now they are all pleased to have their jobs.

We are living through strange times and the consequences are going to affect many of us for a long time.

Fflaurie I do hope you feel better soon and please know that we all appreciate your hard work

SueEH Mon 20-Jul-20 10:38:02

I’m 59 and have been furloughed from one of my part time jobs and working from home (now returned) for my other job.
I love the job I returned to and hate the one I’m furloughed from. We haven’t heard when we will be back but maybe August.
I’m really dreading going back. My parents (in their 90s) live 100 miles from me and are needing more and more help so I’ve been down there every other weekend since we’ve been able to bubble.
I wondered at the beginning of all this why on earth couldn’t the women’s pension age be returned to 60 (or within a couple of years) because there are likely to be thousands of women made redundant with little realistic prospect of a new job and surely it would be cheaper to pay their pensions than gave to support them for years on benefits. But I haven’t found anyone to listen yet!

Annaram1 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:40:22

FfLaurie, Thank you for being the selfless keyworker that you are. Please make a little time for yourself to rest and relax whenever possible. Everyone is grateful to you and all the other keyworkers. Take care and do have as good a day as you can, knowing that you are truly valued. xx

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:45:15

I can see where you are coming from but t least you know that your job is probably pretty secure. My DS was furloughed and made redundant a few weeks later after 20 years of loyal service. Many more currently on furlough will be joining him I'm sure. The future is looking very uncertain. Who is going to pay the bills etc.

I'm sure you are absolutely exhausted and in need of a break and I thank you for all you have done. However it isn't the fault of those workers on furlough. I hope you feel better soon flowers

ann678tifney Mon 20-Jul-20 10:48:52

I have also worked during the covid crisis, because I work for an accountant and was classed as essential so couldn't be furloughed. Luckily my boss allowed me to go part time, so that I could help keep the business going and also allowing me to look after my DH, who is shielding. However we have had no help with anything, I have had to do everything, including shopping for us, so I can understand feeling really stressed and tired. I have hear people in the street bragging about the wages they were receiving for doing "nothing" and not looking forward to going back, but this is not the majority of them just a stupid few, and I hope that they have got jobs to go back to. I can understand not being appreciated though, our business is not acknowledged for having to keep working, we were very busy with our clients payroll keeping up to date in changes, and getting the funding for the wages. It has been very stressful, and isn't about to get any easier in the months go come, I have came back to work full time now, but have a 4 months backlog of work. I will also feel guilty at taking time of on holiday, although I have taken a couple of days at the weekend to have holiday with DD who is 40 this week, and I am really looking forward to it. I don't know how I would have coped during this time without my family. I have to say though that most of our clients have been very appreciative of the help they have received during this time, and they will continue to do so, we are just watching to see how many come out the other side.