Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Should she go back?

(39 Posts)
Mollygo Fri 28-Aug-20 12:14:51

My sister-in-law who is 70 still teaches part time in a primary school. She worked from home during lockdown but is now, not unreasonably, expected to go back to work. She’s happy to do so but she asked whether I thought she should. I don’t know what to say.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Aug-20 12:22:49

It’s up to her no one can make any decisions for her, much less you because if it did go wrong you d never stop blaming yourself
If it was me I d be back like a shot but each person must find they own safe levels of what they are happy with
From what I ve see of what’s been put in place at my grandkids school it will be safe as houses

Tabbycat Fri 28-Aug-20 12:35:51

I'm a recently retired primary school teacher and am so glad I don't have to go back and deal with all the COVID-19 measures and children who have been out of school for 5 months.

The children will have had such different lockdowns - some of their parents will have worked hard to home-school them, read to them and take them out to exercise as well as working from home themselves; some parents will have let them watch TV or play on electronic games and not taken them out anywhere. In the inner city school where I worked some of my colleagues referred to some of the children as having gone feral! Going back to school in September was such a culture shock for many of them!

Does your sister-in-law have any underlying health problems? Is she class teaching or working with small groups? Has the head put in the required safeguards? Is he/she concerned about the wellbeing of the staff? In my experience not all are.
In the end I think she has to do whatever she feels comfortable with.

mokryna Fri 28-Aug-20 13:51:21

The same applies to me, I am the same age, and I look with interest to to see what others think. I have decided to retire from taking large classes and just doing school clubs which are half the size. We haven’t heard from GagaJo recently.

Calendargirl Fri 28-Aug-20 14:51:13

mokryna

The same applies to me, I am the same age, and I look with interest to to see what others think. I have decided to retire from taking large classes and just doing school clubs which are half the size. We haven’t heard from GagaJo recently.

Well, she’s back in Switzerland isn’t she, so will have to quarantine if she comes back soon,

Mollygo Fri 28-Aug-20 15:35:54

She will be teaching whole classes in the afternoon. She reckons masked or with a visor and other safety procedures that are in place she’ll be OK. I just wish she hadn’t asked me. The head did give her the option to work or not. He immediately sent her home when the vulnerable criteria was first announced. She feels she’d have to give up completely if she doesn’t go back and she really loves her work.

AGAA4 Fri 28-Aug-20 15:51:54

Mollygo your sister has given you a dilemma. Maybe list the pros and cons of returning to teach and then leave it up to her.

FarNorth Fri 28-Aug-20 16:01:59

You can't decide what she should do.
You can discuss it with her, asking about safety measures and whether she will feel nervous while at work, or worried about passing infection to other family members.
Help her to think it through, then she'll have to make her own decision.

quizqueen Fri 28-Aug-20 16:02:20

She will have her state pension and her teaching pension, I guess. Older people can't expect to stay at work forever without it affecting younger people being able to get a job! She could always go in voluntary then and wear a visor.

TwiceAsNice Fri 28-Aug-20 16:08:04

I am 67 and work 2 days as a counsellor at an independent secondary school. I am going back next week. I trust my school to put in safe procedures for me and other staff . If she’s not happy after going back she can either ask for more safety measures or change her mind

Mollygo Fri 28-Aug-20 17:15:57

Quizqueen thinking similarly, that was one point I made to her, but evidently there isn’t a rush of applicants qualified to teach French and/or Spanish.
She used to take small phonics groups in the mornings on a voluntary basis but the head thinks that involves too close contact at the moment.
I’ve discussed pros and cons with her and I guess she’ll do as she chooses.

EllanVannin Fri 28-Aug-20 17:28:05

It would depend on what her priorities are----her health or the chance/ risk she'll be taking by continuing teaching. I know what I'd choose at that time of life, even if she eases herself out before winter. Perhaps by next term ?

Calendargirl Fri 28-Aug-20 17:44:45

It’s up to her of course, but at 70, I would be glad to hang up my teacher’s hat and leave it to someone else.

Surely there are some newly qualified language teachers who would like the job?

maddyone Fri 28-Aug-20 19:05:43

mokryna
GagaJo has returned to Switzerland where she teaches in a school. She posted a couple of days ago saying the journey, including the flight, had gone well, and she arrived safely. I expect she’s busy with her job now.

maddyone Fri 28-Aug-20 19:12:11

I agree with qiuzqueen.
Your sister in law is seventy years old. As a teacher she will be eligible for a teaching pension, and possibly she is already claiming it. She has also been eligible for a state pension for the last ten years. However much she enjoys her job, it really is time she hung up her chalk, or interactive whiteboard stylus. Young people need jobs, and a lot of unemployment is now expected through the Covid19 crisis. It is completely selfish in my opinion to hang on to a job when younger people need jobs. Obviously if there was a need for money, but as a retired teacher myself, I cannot see any way that this is the issue.

maddyone Fri 28-Aug-20 19:16:25

It’s interesting that there is not a rush of younger people who are qualified to teach modern languages. My husband, who taught French and Latin, said this was bound to happen years ago, after degrees were dumbed down and many young people chose to do Media Studies or Beckham Studies at university. I kid you not! Now they study Legal Studies not Law, it’s a dumbed down version of Law.
I’ll hide behind the sofa now.

Mollygo Fri 28-Aug-20 19:51:23

Maddyone, your husband’s thought sounds sensible, the MFL teachers in primary are even fewer.
I put your point about jobs for younger people to my SIL.
She says it would be more attractive if it was more than a couple of afternoons.
As a regular supply job she finds it OK and not a bad idea, but what they found was that some teachers with or without language skills said they would be willing to do it, but found it stopped them getting full day’s supply elsewhere when available so they would prefer be called in on odd occasions rather than commit. The head said they couldn’t run a program of learning like that. That was why she was asked back to do it in the first place.
It’s useful to have extra things to add to our discussions. She’ll probably wish she’d never asked me.
I asked her what she would have done if she’d taken his offer to choose not to return. She said he’d added the comment that he hoped she’d stay long enough to let them try and get another regular teacher.
So if any of you know a teacher with French and Spanish qualifications who would like to commit to a couple of afternoons . . .

Aepgirl Sat 29-Aug-20 09:48:56

Why did she ask you? If she’s a teacher she is surely able to make her own decisions.

Soozikinzi Sat 29-Aug-20 10:00:54

Yes it’s up to her what she does . She knows the risks and so I don’t see why she has to include you in her dilemma.

mokryna Sat 29-Aug-20 10:23:22

I know GagaJo is back at work but I am waiting with interest as to how the Swiss are managing their classes. I am back to school in France but as I said before in a much smaller capacity than before.

Mollygo Sat 29-Aug-20 10:31:21

Soozikini and Apegirl you’re both right, but we like to chat and get each other’s opinions on lots of things.
It’s a bit like coming on here to see what others think even though we have already made up our minds.
She doesn’t do GN or she’d probably have asked on here herself.

4allweknow Sat 29-Aug-20 10:50:20

Maddyone. I have to agree with you. Many years ago a friend's husband who lectured at a high ranking university gave up and emigrated to Canada. He became so infuriated at being asked to lower standards for a pass. This had gone on for 5 years and he felt degrees may as well be given out for 50% attendance. He had 3 degrees, Phd in a couple of subjects when he emigrated. Now a Professor and accomplished writer. Our education system loss. I often wonder at how many others left the sinking ship.

twinnytwin Sat 29-Aug-20 11:00:28

If I was her I'd go back, at least until the school has found someone who is able to manage the two afternoons a week regularly, particularly as she seems happy in her work. I take it that it's her age that's the worry, other than other underlying risky health worrries? Schools are doing their utmost to keep students and teachers safe.

Juicylucy Sat 29-Aug-20 11:21:51

I’d suggest mask and a visor and ask if she can give it a trial to see how she feels. Seems a shame to give it up if she enjoys it, it maybe better for her mental health if she keeps going.

H1954 Sat 29-Aug-20 11:40:50

Aepgirl

Why did she ask you? If she’s a teacher she is surely able to make her own decisions.

Yes, my thoughts too! I very much suspect that this SIL seeks advice from others when she already knows what she should be doing; then if it all goes wrong she can pass the blame. I really liked my job too but willingly retired 4 years to allow the younger cohorts to step in and considering Covid 19 I am so glad that I made that decision. I would be terrified to be doing my old job during these unprecedented times!