Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

New job is really grinding me down

(33 Posts)
Spiritof67 Tue 18-May-21 15:57:25

Hello Folks :-
I posted previously about having lost my job recently (20 years working for a local government authority within the highways dept) I had a nice three week break which felt very cathartic. A friend of mine was in need of staff, working in the estates maintenance team of the local university and asked if I could help him out. I obliged (as a favour). The hours are longer, the work is monotonous and repetitive...my work colleagues (not to put too much a finer point on it !) are xenophobic, misogynistic and pretty unwelcoming !
The money for this job is good...but I genuinely do not relish getting up and going into this job anymore !
I’m financially comfortable (not minted and able to retire, but enough to keep the Wolf away from the door for awhile....no mortgage, no debts.
I’m torn between leaving and feeling “happier”, but having the fear factor of not being able to find another job at 55...or just sticking with it and it grinding me down.
I’m very conscious of “life’s too short”....but I’m in a quandary.
I’m physically fit and strong and relish another outdoor job (this job is inside and I feel caged)
Any pearls of wisdom from the collective ? Looking forward to your responses and ideas ?

MerylStreep Tue 22-Mar-22 18:30:15

Kim19

Another vote for Calendargirl. I wouldn't leave without another job to have a stab at particularly as I hear there are many jobs on the market at the moment.

I doubt if the OP is reading. Look at the date

Kim19 Tue 22-Mar-22 21:47:51

Goodness! I've been watching out for this as there have been so many lately. Today I forgot! Thanks MS.

biglouis Wed 23-Mar-22 17:47:12

There was so much more stress involved in running a business rather than working for someone else

This is true. You are entirely responsible for getting in work and earning an income. However there are so many compensations. Looking back Im sorry for all the years when I wasted my abilities working for someone else and taking instructions from dumb bosses.

I never felt the sense of achievement working for an employer that I do in running my own show.

I take three months a year off - usually April, August and late December/early January.

What employer would allow you 3 months holiday?

tbrown Mon 16-May-22 12:08:27

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

wildswan16 Mon 16-May-22 12:40:03

Reported

Oldab Tue 17-May-22 00:33:07

i felt just like you ..my job was slowly but surely grinding me down , and there was changes to come ..one day my boss asked me to go into his office , told me i had 2 options ..1/ Longer hours working from 8am till 7pm every night or 2/ shorter part time hours , less days but still working from 8am till 7 pm !! i was furious , i never slept all night , worrying ..i had been there 24 years ..and my mental state was in a bad depressive area ..well i went in the following morning and handed my notice in ..just like that ..and the weight on my shoulders lifted ..i was free !! and its the best move i ever made at 59 years of age ...i have no mortgage or debts to pay , my children have all left home ,and i took out all of my works pension lump sum ..i get a monthly payment ..right i am on far less money ..but i am at peace now , no stress , no worry ,and people have said how much better and healthier i am looking ..life is too short to stress every day about a damn job .

red1 Thu 02-Jun-22 16:32:23

sorry im a bit late on this one but i have had a similar experience.Could you go part time in your job and start a business or get another job? I wouldn't pack your job in before you have another one lined up,i did it, big mistake, i did it because i thought packing the job in would make me clearer,it created a new set of problems.I remember physical workers saying that when they hit late 50's work became harder,some do work into a grand old age ,but most don't.
Im nearly 67 and eat well ,exercise etc but i get soooo tired after manual work. I'm a big fan nowadays of kindness towards myself,took me 60 odd years to get to that one!
good luck with your decision