Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

I thought the Manageress of the charity shop was very rude to one of her staff!

(32 Posts)
bikergran Mon 18-Oct-21 19:36:49

Popped in local charity shop in town today SENSE the manageress (I presume that's what she is) was giving out orders such a body do this ,such a body do that. Which yes I know someone has to be in charge.

I purchased a couple of items and went to the desk, there wasn't anyone about but I wasn't bothered about waiting, there was myself then another customer came to the desk.It wasn't even 30 seconds.

The manageress if that's who she is, shouted " Mary !! (not her real name )there's customers waiting to be served!! in quite a brusk and nasty tone right across the shop.

Myself and the other customer both looked at each other! the other customer said quite loudly "she wouldn't talk to me like that"!
I said " no " me neither , the customer made another remark.

I said to the young girl whos served me "does she always talk to you like that"! she just smiled politely and said nothing.

I cant stop thinking about it, I have worked in a charity shop when I was on jobseekers, but I left one charity shop because I didn't like their attitude .

Even as Volunteers there is no need to be spoken to in that manner, if Volunteers walked out the charities would be right up the Kyber.

valdali Mon 18-Oct-21 19:41:09

There's absolutely no reason why she couldn't have served you herself if she was so concerned about the queue. Managers who won't condescend to do their team's jobs occasionally when need arises are seldom good managers.

bikergran Mon 18-Oct-21 19:45:34

Yes agree, the other young girl was on her hands and knees cleaning the floor of the window.

bikergran Mon 18-Oct-21 19:47:41

Which I did similar tasks when working in the shop, but it was the way the woman spoke to the young girl, I will pop in again and miander around and see what it's like.

Kali2 Mon 18-Oct-21 19:50:00

Did you ask to speak to the Manager in private and tell her what you thought? Not much point saying it here on GN.

Redhead56 Mon 18-Oct-21 19:52:16

I would have told the manageress I was going to purchase something today. I have decided not to based on her tone to the other staff member and then I would have walked out.

nexus63 Mon 18-Oct-21 20:00:16

i was barred from a local charity shop for speaking to the manager about how she was treating her staff, an elderly lady volunteer was trying to get a large rail of clothes out from the back to the front of the shop, i stepped forward to help her and saw the manageress in the back with her cuppa and reading a magazine, i smiled and sort of laughed and said i think this lady needs a hand, she said she does not get paid to move rails of clothes, i helped the lady then went back to the staff door and said maybe i should call head office and find out what you get paid for.....she than told me i was barred from the shop i did email head office the got a call from them to say the manager had been moved to another place to work for the charity. they have a new manager and some of the volunteers have thanked me as it was getting difficult for them to continue to volunteer in the shop, the new lady is very hands on and makes sure all the staff stop for a cuppa.

Pammie1 Mon 18-Oct-21 20:06:17

A manager who obviously thinks serving customers is beneath her isn’t really doing her job is she ?

BlueBelle Mon 18-Oct-21 20:26:47

Well I can only speak for our happy ship and we have a lovely manager who gets down and dirty with us ( in the nicest possible way) he always speaks well to us and we are always all thanked too
Can’t fault him and the staff young, old, men, women out of work, autistic, all get on really well

welbeck Mon 18-Oct-21 20:40:49

i remember being in a charity shop once, browsing some books.
a middle-aged black woman came in, looked around, then asked to speak to the manager.
she then told her that she objected to having been followed around by one of the staff and that it was racist, and that the staff needed training.
she was polite but assertive.
i was surprised at the time, but now i admire her for speaking up.
and she was right. they only followed her, not white people.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Oct-21 20:44:23

She did well welbeck
when I first started in te charity shop after I retired I had a different manager who did exactly that it took me a few times to catch on that everyone she told me to keep an eye on was non English, it was ripe actually as she herself got the sack for stealing I was happy to see the back of her and all has been well since
Nasty piece of work

Marilla Mon 18-Oct-21 20:48:57

I was once spoken to very rudely by a member of a very well known charity and I wrote a letter to Head Office. A letter of apology was received and matter had been discussed with the member of staff. Sadly, even within charities there are unpleasant people and bullies.

bikergran Tue 19-Oct-21 09:34:24

Kali2 no I did not go and speak to the manager (as yet)

As for putting it on gn first , have you yourself not come on gn at some time for advice or to hear what others say first, I think you will find many have hmm

I thought that's what part of GN was for confused

ninathenana Tue 19-Oct-21 11:02:43

Some managers are fussy about who they will allow to volunteer.
DS who is fit, healthy, strong and polite was turned down by two shops and gave up trying.
He's autistic.

H1954 Tue 19-Oct-21 11:07:40

nexus63

i was barred from a local charity shop for speaking to the manager about how she was treating her staff, an elderly lady volunteer was trying to get a large rail of clothes out from the back to the front of the shop, i stepped forward to help her and saw the manageress in the back with her cuppa and reading a magazine, i smiled and sort of laughed and said i think this lady needs a hand, she said she does not get paid to move rails of clothes, i helped the lady then went back to the staff door and said maybe i should call head office and find out what you get paid for.....she than told me i was barred from the shop i did email head office the got a call from them to say the manager had been moved to another place to work for the charity. they have a new manager and some of the volunteers have thanked me as it was getting difficult for them to continue to volunteer in the shop, the new lady is very hands on and makes sure all the staff stop for a cuppa.

Well done nexus! ?

glammanana Tue 19-Oct-21 11:32:54

Biker You are so right if people stopped volunteering the Charities would be in a right mess those people who volunteer are the backbone of the Charities.
As you know I was a Manager of a Charity before retirement and I like to think I had a good relationship with all my ladies & gentlemen I still meet up with a couple of them every Saturday for a catch up & coffee.
Tea and coffee was bountiful during the day to staff and customers and I would never ask a volunteer to do something I would not do myself we where a very happy team.

Oldwoman70 Tue 19-Oct-21 11:44:41

I used to volunteer in a charity shop - the manager was a lovely lady who treated everyone with respect and was never one to sit around whilst everyone else worked. Then she left and another woman took over. She would often consign clothes that were clean and in good condition to the "rags" bag if they came from a supermarket or "cheap" shop, she spoke abruptly to the volunteers and even reduced one to tears because she was unable to work on a particular day. When new tills were installed I was left alone in the shop whilst she "went out for a coffee". I had received no training on the till save for watching her deal with one customer. I stopped volunteering, informing head office why and other long standing volunteers also left. As far as I am aware she is still there. It seems some of those employed by charities need to look up the meaning of the word "volunteer"

User7777 Tue 19-Oct-21 12:32:47

I went into a supermarket once, a supposedly posh one. I heard a mans voice shouting. Went round the aisle, saw and heard him tearing strips off a lad, 17 to 19 years old maybe. I was so shocked, I approached them. Asked man with greying hair if he had forgotten being young and had he never made a mistake. I also told him that shouting at the lad would not help the situation. The older man then apologised to the lad, and me for having to witness it. Lad then looked happy someone stood up to the bully.
Evil pervades when the good do nothing

sodapop Tue 19-Oct-21 12:36:03

That's a shame bikergran I have a lot of respect for Sense and their staff. They need the money from the shops so this woman is doing them a great disservice.

Katie59 Tue 19-Oct-21 12:53:40

No excuse for being rude or even terse with staff that’s just bad manners whoever you are.
However I’d did work as a Assistant Manager in a charity shop, the volunteers were a nightmare, getting anything constructive done was very difficult. They were very picky (cliquey) who they would be on duty with, then spent a good part of their shift drinking tea and gossiping. Much more difficult to manage than paid staff.

silverlining48 Tue 19-Oct-21 13:35:47

Maybe they should be paid then Katie. Those who work fir free should be valued and appreciated and not criticised.
I have volunteered a few times and the last was at a dementia day care unit run by Age Concern. I was often told ( not asked) to do the less pleasant work while the paid staff often sat and chatted amongst themselves. They rarely spoke to me, and after a year I told the manager I was leaving and she neither thanked me nor asked me why.

luluaugust Tue 19-Oct-21 16:46:10

I haven't volunteered as I know the first time someone tried to boss me around I would be off, had enough of that at work - it didn't work then either.

Nanatuesday2 Sat 16-Apr-22 07:48:13

Omg ,This is awful behaviour ! I really hope that you did contact HeadOffice .
Though ,I work as a paid employee (pt) for a Charity Retail Outlet as an AM & in the 7 years & many shops within our group I have never ever had the time to "Sit & have a cuppa" let alone read a magazine...! Lone working is often the case & just last week my Daughter sent me a message " Call me when you get a break" i rang her laughing & said " A break ,I have to close the shop if I want to use the Loo"

BlueBelle Sat 16-Apr-22 07:53:16

This thread is 6 months old why revive it telling her to report it bit late h for that one ???

lemsip Sat 16-Apr-22 07:53:39

Nannatuesday2
as this thread is 6 months old I'm sure it's been dealt by now!!