Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Odd Retirement Gift

(65 Posts)
LibbyR Thu 05-May-22 13:42:17

I worked in the same place for over 30 years and took early retirement last year. I’m not at all bothered about having a social gathering to mark my retirement so was quite happy when my bosses suggested that we do something in the summer due to covid. On my last day I had the most beautiful bouquet, cake and champagne from the bosses and lots of lovely gifts and cards from colleagues and clients. However I was a bit surprised by the gift I received a few months after I retired. One of my bosses popped in to see me with a gift which was a commissioned painting of the building that I’d worked in. It’s not a particularly attractive building and the painting is a bit abstract. I obviously thanked him and I also sent a card to the rest of the company bosses. In truth I found it quite an odd gift and it’s not something I’d put on my wall. I’ve just found it tucked down the side of the sideboard where I put it on the day it arrived. Anyone else had an odd retirement gift?

pennyhapenny Sun 08-May-22 23:08:54

I was absolutely delighted to receive a watercolour of my workplace as a retirement present and it's hanging in pride of place in our living room. I spent 40 hours a week (and then some) there for 20 years of my life - it was a job that gave me tremendous fulfilment, fantastic friends and colleagues and many happy memories, not to mention the money in the bank every month .

annifrance Mon 09-May-22 09:11:38

My father received an expensive leather desk set when he retired from a Government department, with no intention of ever sitting at a desk again! I now use the unused lovely address book. The blotter and revolving calendar are long gone.

My friend sold her pharmacy and all the building above it, not particularly attractive, just ordinary but the painting was not a good one!

My friend was a Headmistress and received the large board that was on the wall outside the school with her name on. I thought that was really nice.

GillianP888 Mon 09-May-22 10:56:47

When I left my first job, I was given a necklace which had a small gold charm on it. I thought it was a turnip-actually it was a horn of plenty. Unfortunately I thought it was a turnip, albeit an attractive turnip! I was only 19 so

Annaram1 Mon 09-May-22 11:16:36

On my last day at work after 28 years they gave me a party to which everyone came. I received a huge bouquet and the collection. I spent the money at the local art shop on a small still life by a local artist. Its in my dining room now. With the remaining money I bought a breakfast set of Fred and Mabel cartoons on it. I use it daily.

Jaxie Mon 09-May-22 19:38:56

I was given an etymological dictionary when I retired from teaching. No-one had bothered to dedicate it to me, which hurt my feelings.

biglouis Tue 10-May-22 01:33:35

In every workplace I have never gone in on the "last" day in order to escape the embarassment of a tacky "leaving do"

GrumpyGran8 Wed 11-May-22 13:08:20

Personally, I'd put the painting away for a few years, then take it to an auction house to see if its worth selling!

seadragon Mon 20-Feb-23 22:26:21

When I retired in 2012 there was a collection for a present for me. The usual practice in the department was to ask the person what they would like and I had hoped for a mobile phone as I would have to hand back my work one. I did receive a beautiful but impractical pair of pearl earrings as the main present and one or two additional personal gifts. I was astounded, however, to be told by the person who carried out the collection that she had told people not to put as much money as they wanted to in the envelope and that a couple of quid "would do"!! I have carried out many collections for others and arranged leaving do's as well but always hand over the envelope so that I never see who contributed what.... My leaving do was great though. I organised that myself and had a fundraiser for the local Stroke Support Group I'd helped set up as my last gasp, invited all the members and asked colleagues to bring their favourite food to share. I also asked them all to provide the recipe or information about the source of the food for a guide and recipe book fund raiser for the group. I stupidly gave the recipes etc in a folder to the person who'd carried out the collection so the food guide was never published. That's what rankled the most... A previous recipe book had raised a lot of money for a very successful intergenerational tea party group who met in a Very Sheltered Housing Complex. Grrrr!

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Feb-23 08:14:15

joyceb I might be tempted to contact them to ask what has happened 🤔 grin

AussieGran59 Tue 21-Feb-23 08:45:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fiorentina51 Tue 21-Feb-23 10:05:35

When I retired from teaching, the PTA organised a lovely party in the parish Hall. Many parents came with flowers and gifts, mainly wine🙂. One parent had organised a book of memories in which, various former pupils, some at Uni or in work wrote their favourite memories of their time with me. No mean feat considering that they were only 6 or 7 when I taught them.
Not sure how much editing went on as all the comments were positive!
The staff and governors bought me theatre vouchers which was perfect and enabled me to see 2 plays at Stratford.
A month after retirement, my former TA came to visit and she gave me the "gift that was stuck in the post."
It was a digital microscope! They knew I enjoyed using the schools from time to time so felt I needed one of my own.
I've had a lot of use from it and now the grandchildren do too.

travelsafar Tue 21-Feb-23 10:17:46

When i retired i received a Roberts Radio in red, two tickets to visit Highclere , a bag full of cash which enabled me to buy a greenhouse heater, and a new hedge trimmer. In addition i had a huge fushia plant in a lovely pot and so many flowers i had to borrow some vases from my neighbour. Although i wanted to retire it broke my heart leaving my collegues and staff. All the wonderful thoughtful gifts i received, i felt, reflected how they had thought of me.

Grayling1 Tue 21-Feb-23 10:40:50

Annaram - My story is similar to yours. When I left the firm I had been with for 18 yrs to go elsewhere as my husband had retired and I wanted to cut back on my working hours and that would not have worked having "been in charge" for so many years. I really didn't want a "do" but a collection was made by my colleagues and I was taken to a local art shop and picked out a local scene which was dear to me and it has hung on the wall ever since. On the day the staff gathered to present it to me along with an enormous bouquet. I was then called up to the boardroom and presented with a handsome cheque and on the way home I called in at the local travel agents and booked a holiday in Cyprus where we had never been before. DH was very happy and more than a bit surprised!!!!

sodapop Tue 21-Feb-23 13:25:21

Not all leaving parties are 'tacky' * biglouis* I had a lovely big party with all my friends and colleagues, we had lots of memories of the time we worked together. It was especially memorable as I was retiring to France and was unlikely to see many of my colleagues again. I had some lovely personal gifts, jewellery, theatre tickets etc. My corporate gift was a dishwasher which I asked for as I was going to start a
B & B. Happy memories still.