Gransnet forums

News & politics

FGM prosecutions

(81 Posts)
Soutra Fri 21-Mar-14 22:06:47

So the first prosecutions for female genital mutilation in the UK have been announced, charges being brought against a doctor working at the Whittington Hospital.
Is this the beginning of the end of this dreadful practice, at least in this country?

Iam64 Tue 25-Mar-14 09:59:09

Good point Penstemmon, about the benefits of school health services.

Lilygran Wed 26-Mar-14 11:29:15

Isn't this strange? Now the details have been released www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/fgm-top-gynaecologisthits-out-at-political-prosecution-for-female-genital-mutilation-9213200.html

Ana Wed 26-Mar-14 11:36:31

Well, if that's true, i.e. the doctor is being prosecuted for attempting to repair the vagina of a woman after birth, the whole case is a farce!

janeainsworth Wed 26-Mar-14 17:56:21

Very strange. It will be interesting to hear what the DPP has to say in front of the Health Select Committee next week.
The article also reported the senior gynaecologist who has spoken out against the prosecution as saying she thought there was very little FGM carried out in this country, that all the cases she sees had been done elsewhere.

Iam64 Wed 26-Mar-14 17:58:06

I read this and felt slightly sick. If this doctor repaired the damage caused to an existing FGM,after the woman had given birth, why on earth is he being prosecuted?

I do believe prosecutions are the most effective way of influencing this 'cultural' practice. I don't mean to be flippant, but using the law has been effective in influencing people not to drink and drive.