Gransnet forums

News & politics

An alternative to food banks?

(112 Posts)
Elegran Wed 08-Jul-15 09:08:28

"In 1917, ministers in Lloyd George's government had agonised over the best way of combating hunger while Germany's U-boats disrupted Britain's food supply.

The government was keen to avoid the stigma of poverty associated with soup kitchen hand-outs . . . . ."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33275833

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 10:14:33

Have you looked at your local fareshare Nfk? In the North East it's not food banks. They collect food from supermarkets and manufacturers, and make meals. They give food to local pensioner groups, and do what is felt necessary in your area.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 10:15:27

www.fareshare.org.uk/17th-june-2015-fareshare-brings-together-food-industry-and-retailers-for-uks-first-ever-surplus-food-summit/

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 10:23:26

Good for fareshare giving help where needed, but the recipients are still receiving charity. The kind of thing NFKD and I are talking about is not charity, it is a way to get cheap good food without being a charity case.

durhamjen Thu 23-Jul-15 23:45:07

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104474

A petition about stores being able to give food to charities when it is going to be thrown out. Obviously the person who wrote it has not heard of fareshare, but it's worth signing. Those who need to use charities or churches to get food are not bothered where it comes from.

NfkDumpling Fri 24-Jul-15 09:35:24

I hadn't heard of Fairshare before you said. Maybe because it doesn't exist in the Eastern region. It looks like a good idea, but I fear a lot of people won't use it as it's still charity. Have signed the petition for all the good it will do. Rural counties tend to be ignored.

Credit Unions tried to start up here, but with little or no publicity they're failing too.

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-15 09:48:50

Yes, of course, " Those who need to use charities or churches to get food are not bothered where it comes from." and they will get it, but those who are not quite at the point of going to a charity to ask for help need it too - in the form of affordable food without the charity stigma - "which still remains in spite of many years of state assistance^

My, durhamjen I don't think I know anyone quite as stubborn as you on insisting that only your own solutions are the right ones. Well, only soontobe, who mirrors you in the religious sphere.

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-15 09:51:18

I should have used a "^" where I used a " . That would have made it my emphasis rather than a quote, changing my post somewhat.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 10:40:33

fareshare.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=c2f3418f2bb81705b675e6cce&id=9ab7a0fa11&e=e95cf3f883

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 10:45:36

Do you need to get in touch with your local Tesco, NFK?
They have a scheme where they tell the locals what food is going to be thrown out and when.
It's mentioned on the Guardian article above.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 10:51:05

www.fareshare.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/FareShare-Resource-Efficiency-Framework.pdf

This is what Fareshare has set up with food manufacturers.
Could you ask them why there is no Fareshare in East Anglia, NFK? After all, you produce a lot of the food in your area.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jul-15 11:01:04

You were asking what the government could do.

www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/17/government-under-fire-eu-funding-food-banks