Gransnet forums

News & politics

UK? No

(193 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 30-May-16 13:02:28

BBC news announced the English football squad would be given extra protection as would the other home countries . Seems we should refer to the UK as England and Co. Or England and the rest

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 21:26:59

Farnorth , I didn't know Scotland were not playing ehich is why I express my irritating with the BBC for saying the other home countries, I thought they meant three countries , I was mistaken

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 21:28:24

Is it Daphne? Please not Bassey or Tom Jones

Welshwife Wed 01-Jun-16 21:28:41

Annie just to let you know - on the Radio news this morning it started giving info about the football teams going to play in France. It did not give any squad in full but any notable inclusions or exclusions. They did the Englad team and then the Welsh - mentioning Gareth Bale - and then Ireland - I don't think Scotland got through to the group stage so they were not mentioned. Thought you would like to know that info!

durhamjen Wed 01-Jun-16 21:35:10

Manic Street Preachers.

durhamjen Wed 01-Jun-16 21:36:21

It's called Together Stronger. Is that an omen?

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 21:39:35

Thank you Welshwife, I do truly believe the four countries should be treated with equal respect , I would have said the same if the newsreader had said Wales and the other home countries , not on

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 22:04:18

Ooooh, thank you Daphne and Jen , most definitely Jen smile

Jalima Wed 01-Jun-16 22:05:05

www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/official-wales-euro-2016-anthem-11319854

Not great quality (but that could be my speakers)

Ana Wed 01-Jun-16 22:09:55

I do truly believe the four countries should be treated with equal respect , I would have said the same if the newsreader had said Wales and the other home countries , not on

I find it hard to believe that you would have started a thread complaining that Wales had received more prominence by the BBC newsreader than any of the other football squads, ab, but if you say so...hmm

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 22:18:09

Thank you Jamila. I like it , suitable for all ages to warble no matter their voice and I love the fact many if our failures were included . Wouldn't mind having shares in a company making our flag grin , must get mine spruced up , well the three ,one for front fence, one for back fence and one in living room

Jalima Wed 01-Jun-16 22:20:18

Does it mean we have to watch the football as well as sing?

No doubt DH will have it on [groans]

Anniebach Wed 01-Jun-16 22:20:30

Ana, as expected from you, sorry but it's true though and yes - I do say so and I do not lie

Evertheoptimist Sun 05-Jun-16 10:31:24

Northern Ireland have their own fantastic football team (Green and white army - GAWA).
And I totally agree with Anniebach!

Welshwife Sun 05-Jun-16 11:25:27

I have two Welsh fans arriving next week! They are staying two weeks and have tickets for two of the matches. The tickets for one match I was able to get as a resident and at the correct UEFA price.
Just to liven things up I have a shopping bag (given to me ) which has' Allez France on it!

nigglynellie Sun 05-Jun-16 11:55:54

Luckily for me the only football fan in this family is our son and he lives 102 miles away! So apart from him none of the rest of us cares who does what including winning and certainly won't be watching thank goodness!

grumppa Sun 05-Jun-16 12:13:18

Just to avoid further confusion, the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland have separate Association Football teams, and a combined Rugby Union team (which plays in Dublin).

grumppa Sun 05-Jun-16 12:15:00

And both the Irish football teams are in Euro 2016. Only Scotland is missing of the football nations of the British Isles.