Gransnet forums

News & politics

As the hysterical left weep into their lattes...

(508 Posts)
thatbags Mon 27-Jun-16 06:45:30

Well said, Libby Purves and Peter Tatchell! Tatchell is quoted as saying "The left must listen to Brexit supporters and their concerns. Very wrong to dismiss them all as racists and xenophobes". Of those anguished 'hysterical lefties': "many of them mean well [ouch!] yet elitism erupted like a poisoned boil". Superb!

Elitism. The other thing the hysterical left whine about when they're not too busy calling anyone who doesn't agree with them a bigot. Yes. Quite. In spite of my high level of education, and my husband's, we both "get it" in a way that many with similar backgrounds don't seem to. Perhaps we still feel a connect to those of our families who were at the runt end of society only two generations ago. Perhaps we understand better the effect of "arrogant, incompetent Brussels institutions, and the decades when governments neglected inequality".

Purves does not skim over actual racism at all, but she says quite rightly that the vast majority of people are not racists or xenophobes. She's right.

Thank you, Libby Purves.

Jalima Sun 24-Jul-16 21:52:31

sorry:
www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nigel-farage-donald-trump-republican-convention-muslims-us-election-2016-a7153206.html

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 24-Jul-16 23:02:19

I think it would be better for all concerned if Nigel Farage retired from public life. While he continues to speak to the mainstream media with global coverage, he's perceived as the Donald Trump of the UK and that is a bad thing. Many outside the UK don't realise his politics were about a single issue. Donald Trump is a million times more dangerous than Nigel Farage could ever be and the sooner people stop likening them, the better.

Seasidenana Mon 25-Jul-16 10:15:08

I really think Libby Purves should be setting an example rather than using offensive and divisive language in the media. I would like to see respectful language used about people of different faiths or political beliefs. Let's hear more uniting language from journalists as the lovely Jo Cox tried to say. This country does not feel a very friendly place to be right now.

granjura Mon 25-Jul-16 11:36:21

So much for him saying straight after Brexit that the job was done, and he wanted his life back and spend more time with his long suffering family. And immediately off his goes to the USA- probably handsomely paid to do so. I was glad to hear his say that Trump's anti-Muslim and ridiculous rhetoric about Muslims made him feel very uncomfortable- first sensible thing he has said for a very long time.

amt101 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:27:27

Hello everyone,
Is anyone still being shunned by friends/relatives for the way they voted? My older daughter is still annoyed with me to the extent that she thinks we have nothing in common and can see no way back for us.

Grannyknot Tue 13-Sep-16 12:38:08

amt that is so sad.

We had heated discussions with our adult children (despite all of us voting remain) because my OH felt that the EU needed a big shake up, but wasn't sure that voting out was the answer.

So the vigorous debate continues, but with no hard feelings.

Washerwoman Tue 13-Sep-16 14:43:16

So sorry Amt.how sad for you.Some very vigorous discussions amongst family and friends here in the immediate aftermath the Ref.DH ,myself and one DD and partner voted Leave,and 2 other DDS Remain. Amongst friends a mixed vote ,but all still getting good on and respecting each other,fortunately.Indeed the DD who was the most upset with the vote initially has almost done an about turn.She got increasing fed up with the 'hysterical' response on Facebook, Twitter etc.(her words)from her peer group,and one friend in particular who posted some very patronising and lecturing comments.Everyone I associate with on a regular basis seems to be taking the attitude that it's very early days,Leave or Remain there were issues we needed to address as a nation .And that some sort of a shake up,within or out of the EU and in politics in general was overdue.With a terminally ill family member ,only in her late 50s,we all feel life's too short for acrimonious discussions about anything tbh.